After months of collecting the major pieces needed to do the conversion I started the project 2 weeks ago.

Things to do:

* AMD 6-speed tune
* SAI delete
* Pre-cat gut and replace worn flex joints or replace downpipes
* MAF seals
* Cam tensioner pads / seals / valve cover gaskets
* Cam position sensors (?)
* Timing belt service
* Crank seals
* Fuel filter (bought last year but bracket bolt just spins)
* Bufkin pipe
* JHM solid shift linkage
* Voltage regulator (?)
* Turbos rebuilt
* Coolant temp sensor
* Relocate boost gauge to glove box
* 02 sensors (?)
* EGTs (? trying to avoid replacing)
* Remove secondary radiators (?)
* Intercoolers (?)

On to the pictures!

Upgraded 01E TDI kit from Advanced Automotion with SteveKen adapter.

AMD Spec 3 Plus clutch/pressure plate.

Cleared out some room in the garage and backed the Beast in.

I could almost remove the front-end blind folded. Almost.

I did the JB weld "fix" on the intercoolers and pressure tested underwater around this time last year. But sadly they are definitely leaking again. Replacements might be coming soon.

The only major hang-up I had was removing the starter cables. Just enough room to get a box end wrench and make 1/8th of a turn each time. Wish I would have picked up some long angled needle nose pliers like suggested on other threads for the clip.

Around 20 hours total and it was ready to come out. It will go a lot faster if I have to do it again.

The 5-Tip is massive. The leak that I thought was coming from the driver side turbo seems to be from the inner CV joint flange area. The output seal was leaking also.

Needs a little de-greaser from when the passenger valve cover was leaking but otherwise surprisingly clean.

It took the better part of a morning to separate the trans. Passenger turbo and header removed to gain access to starter / torque converter bolts.

Flex plate bolts are crazy tight; like everyone else seems to have experienced. I snapped my M10 triple square socket while trying to loosen things up with the acetylene torch. This is on hold until the impact triple square sockets arrive.

I don't have any reason to believe the turbos are not original. No records of them being replaced. And with just over 101k miles now they look outstanding. No excessive shaft play.

The only blemish I can see is on the compressor side of the passenger turbo. There are two of these circles and it looks like one of the fin edges is chewed up slightly. If something went thru there it's probably stuck in the intercooler. The plan is to have them sent away and rebuilt while they are out anyway.

Also spent a few evenings working on the shift bezel. I sourced up a manual bezel from a '99 A4 with chrome trim, a gaiter from a '99 S4 and a cheap knob for an A3. Not super happy with the knob but it will do until I find the RS4 or similar knob that I want.