Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is there an actual turbo upgrade that will bolt to RS6 manifolds?

Hybrid View

The reason the threads all die is because just like you as a new owner hoped to change turbos to "make more power" and will quickly find out there simply isn't sufficient space to undertake things. The engineers spent a host of time shoehorning this powerplant in to this chassis and you're left with what you're left with. I have spent many hours repairing everything engine and chassis related on this car and over the years have even gone as far as dreaming up new configurations for turbos. This includes splitting the manifolds, using dual throttle bodies, sandwiching turbos between the heads (like they have since done on the new 4.0TT, etc. Hell, I've even tossed around the idea to put turbos on the sides of the engine up front just behind the intercoolers like is commonly done with a TT Buick, but there is simply too much rework to support.

Yes, once you have removed the spaghetti for the SAI off the back of the heads, you have a bit more room, but the front differential makes everything on the passenger side stupidly tight. If you have never gone through the efforts to R&R a stock turbo on this car, then you simply can't appreciate what I'm saying. Swapping to a manual tranny will indeed give you some additional room, but not leaps and bounds. If you are really in love with the idea of taking this tank of a car and trying to make it go quicker than things like a tune, minor head work, and cams can do, then you may consider hacking up your center tunnel to eek out more interior volume to house larger turbos. That IMO is the ONLY way you will shoehorn in anything else than the OEM configuration......

Once you are considering something as drastic as what I've outlined above, it would beg the question why you wouldn't put all that money and effort in to a ride in which it's easier to execute and which would provide better end result - i.e. a purpose built ride with high power vs. a luxury sport saloon.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; January 23rd, 2018 at 03:19.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That said, anything is possible if you have big $$ to throw at it. Personally, those $ are better realized in my NSX or my modded GNX. I'm just fine with a quicker than average sedan as it is.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Guys, with all due respect. Check the picture that Gregg posted. Those babies will easily support 700hp. And it's not too much work to get them to fit. It's not a walk in the park either, but with MT it's very doable.
    2.7 GT28 Eliminators do fit as well, with even less changes required. We have a car with those locally, hopefully should go in for tuning when spring comes. Power still remains to be seen, but I'm thinking 650-700.

Pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170318-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	18381

Placing turbos on the sides also has been accomplished.
    It all depends on how much you're willing to spend (and/or how good you are with fabricating).

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Guys, with all due respect. Check the picture that Gregg posted. Those babies will easily support 700hp. And it's not too much work to get them to fit. It's not a walk in the park either, but with MT it's very doable.
    2.7 GT28 Eliminators do fit as well, with even less changes required. We have a car with those locally, hopefully should go in for tuning when spring comes. Power still remains to be seen, but I'm thinking 650-700.

Pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170318-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	18381

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend (and/or how good you are with fabricating).
    A host of fuss IMO that takes lots of $ to eek out possibly 100hp more in a 4400lb car.

Pic:

Hey nubcake, any update on this ATP eliminator setup? It looks like the driver's side used the unmodified wastegate location (and compressor housing outlet location) that ATP has for the 2.7. I assume the passenger side wastegate mounting had to be modified? How about the passenger side compressor housing outlet, did it need to be modified? This is the only instance I could find of someone running these on the RS6, so I'm curious how it turned out.

I would just like to know what all will and wont work with the gt2871 eliminator kit. Aka, will the oil lines, coolants lines, and wastegates all work with what is there? I am not worried about fabbing up inlets and outlets to get the plumbing to work.

I think a lot of these threads die because no one has the means or the money to actually do this. Yes I could easily drop money in something else. But this has been my dream car since I was a kid and I have the means and the money to build it. I'm not looking for a 1000hp monster. Rather 650-700hp with decent boost response.

Quote Originally Posted by travish325 View Post
    I think a lot of these threads die because no one has the means or the money to actually do this. Yes I could easily drop money in something else. But this has been my dream car since I was a kid and I have the means and the money to build it. I'm not looking for a 1000hp monster. Rather 650-700hp with decent boost response.
    I think you're about the 10-15th person to go down this path in the last 5 years. There have been a few I think that hit their mark, but most move on or keep moderately modified due to the trouble/time/cost. Not that the money isn't there, but how much $ per hp do you want to put into this type of car I guess. Tim's at AMD is interesting, maybe he'll chime in here, it's only been in the AMD shop for two years and $k? Keep in mind your daily driving ease is going out the window with a big clutch and high hp...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I would just like to know what all will and wont work with the gt2871 eliminator kit. Aka, will the oil lines, coolants lines, and wastegates all work with what is there? I am not worried about fabbing up inlets and outlets to get the plumbing to work.

Sounds to be like you're part of the new trifecta (with NubCake, GregPDX, and yourself) that are going to finally pull the plug and dump the time and money in modding things. No one else on this board has completed this extensive of a modification to gain additional power possibilities over what you can already do with cams, porting, meth injection and a decent tune. You are clearly going to need to consider transmission efforts also as a few of us on this board are already pushing our luck with their tranny's holding out with power levels that are easily 600hp....

Best of luck!

As has been said...it will be a tough and expensive road... and you "likely" won't hit your goal, whatever that may be. Along with turbos, you need intercoolers and piping, all of which is an engineering marvel/nightmare in this car. Most of "us" that have started this "project", bailed because "we" determined that it will be a tremendous amount of time and money (lost time and money, if you care about that) to dump into a 15yr old car, and realized there are better and easier cars to mod, with greater results.

My tuned 6sp RS6 made ~480awhp and ~560awtq, with stock turbos, and could "only" muster a 4.2-4.0 0-60 on it's best day. My 2013 S8 runs consistent 3.5's bone stock. Understandably, a huge price comparison with regard to price of entry, but at the end of the day, I determined I would rather spend the money here than there.
    Good luck on your travels. With enough time and money, you can do anything. "we" chose not to.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    As has been said...it will be a tough and expensive road... and you "likely" won't hit your goal, whatever that may be. Along with turbos, you need intercoolers and piping, all of which is an engineering marvel/nightmare in this car. Most of "us" that have started this "project", bailed because "we" determined that it will be a tremendous amount of time and money (lost time and money, if you care about that) to dump into a 15yr old car, and realized there are better and easier cars to mod, with greater results.

My tuned 6sp RS6 made ~480awhp and ~560awtq, with stock turbos, and could "only" muster a 4.2-4.0 0-60 on it's best day. My 2013 S8 runs consistent 3.5's bone stock. Understandably, a huge price comparison with regard to price of entry, but at the end of the day, I determined I would rather spend the money here than there.
    Good luck on your travels. With enough time and money, you can do anything. "we" chose not to.
    The MTM and Sportec cars were in the 3.5-3.7 range. As long as you dont go crazy with the brembos as the 20 inch cast wheels....

My testing would support that.. .... I would say that in an average everyday drive, my MTM is everybit as fast as my 2016 Porsche Panamera Turbo S, at least to 120...

But the MTM has:

Different intake runners
    Different Head gastket
    Different Turbos
    Different Headers and exhaust
    Different TCU
    Programmable ECU

Im sure I am missing something...in 2003 the bill was over $40K at Joe Hoppens....

But it is reliable and repeatable power...and is an absolute blast to drive....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    The MTM and Sportec cars were in the 3.5-3.7 range. As long as you dont go crazy with the brembos as the 20 inch cast wheels....

My testing would support that.. .... I would say that in an average everyday drive, my MTM is everybit as fast as my 2016 Porsche Panamera Turbo S, at least to 120...

But the MTM has:

Different intake runners
    Different Head gastket
    Different Turbos
    Different Headers and exhaust
    Different TCU
    Programmable ECU

Im sure I am missing something...in 2003 the bill was over $40K at Joe Hoppens....

But it is reliable and repeatable power...and is an absolute blast to drive....
    Acknowledged. My point was and is, even if you could do it for half now...$20k, you're still dumping $20k into a 15yr old car, worth $12k-$15k, ...I elected not to...For that same money, I have 10 times the technology...which I prefer...but to each his own...for what it's worth, I love seeing these older cars on the road...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Acknowledged. My point was and is, even if you could do it for half now...$20k, you're still dumping $20k into a 15yr old car, worth $12k-$15k, ...I elected not to...For that same money, I have 10 times the technology...which I prefer...but to each his own...for what it's worth, I love seeing these older cars on the road...
    Best bang for buck still seems to be an aggressive stage 2 tune on stock turbo (downpipe). Or an upgraded turbo, injectors. Figure your $12k car and say $8k upgrades for total $20 invested, I cannot find a similar (4 door luxury Grand Tourer) car in that power and performance range.

What is the commonly assumed (no one know, no exact science) limit for the stock block as far as torque goes (torque breaks rods, not HP)?

Good for at least 1000-1100 newtons.
    With big turbos and that torque carried over - should be able to see 700-800hp easily.

Good for at least 1000-1100 newtons.
    With big turbos and that torque carried over - should be able to see 700-800hp easily.
    I was (just for kicks) once doing the math. Using the often cited "tranny is good for 600 lbft" figured I mod the engine (upgraded turbos, fueling, breathing, maybe some WM for octane) and tune to just 'hold that torque' to say 7200 rpm. Voila: 822 HP.

Ditto using the 550 awTQ = 735 lbft from the (poorly tuned) dyno run we had: 1k HP
    Now, just have to put that into the real world. Would make a nice Grand Touring car.

IMO, the stock RS6 turbine housing is too small no matter what you do to it, or in it...even if you get it to make some power, it won't last and will plummet...quickly...
    2013 Audi S8

Level of quality and attention to detail "seems" to be better.

My SRMs came in BW boxes, so I felt they were legit. However, one of the compressor housing inlets was never bored out to properly accept the RS6 inlet adapter...
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Thanks for all the info everyone!

The car is on its way to Steve Kendrish for the 6mt swap right now. For now I am only doing the 6mt swap, fuel pumps, injectors, and e85. Figure I'll drive it like this for a while and save up some cash to put a proper set of turbos on it.