Thread: DRC vs Bilstein/Koni Struts.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'm sorry but Innovator, if you want a car that rides better than the performance minded RS6 then there is the A6 or S6 but there suspension isn't made to handle the same types of demands / responses that the DRC (in good working order) or Coilovers properly adjusted can attain. Why pay the money for a RS6 then degrade the suspension to one less capable? There are probably 20% of the forum members here with aftermarket coilovers and I don't think that any others I have heard on the list say they would go back to the DRC or want a lower grade suspension? There have been some complaints with certain brands, and some of those can be attributed to improper adjustment but most are satisifed or more than satisfied. All coilovers will settle and any good shop or mechanic installing as set should explain that to the customer. You adjust a little high then have the customer bring the car back in a month or so for a final adjustment, it is a fairly easy procedure to do, just threaded collars but it takes a little time as you may have to go all around the car a couple of times as once you raise one corner, the weight balance will change and you may have to go back to the other corner you did before and so on. All spring manufacturers list the settling issue, maybe there are some out there that pre-settle there springs on a spring dyno, I know of some raceshops that do it.
    Honestly I would expect those that already spent a bunch of money on coil overs to respond as you have. What I am trying to elude, is that coil overs are not the only alternative to DRC, still do not do what DRC does, and usually if not always,severly degrade the way the car rides. Bilstein Struts and H&R bars are hardly a downgrade to the cheaply made DRC components anyway. In fact, they are a significant upgrade.Please keep in mind that this is what I do for a living, so this isn't my first time around the block. Still, I am guilty of buying into the KW hype initially, but I assure you, there are other , perhaps better alternatives.. I am only trying to help.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    Honestly I would expect those that already spent a bunch of money on coil overs to respond as you have. ....Rick
    Actually- I did not pay one dime for the Kws. AoA paid for them and the install.... I stand by they have been a great solution and quality product for myself. There are a variety of systems out there obviously for individual's wants and needs. It is great you have presented another option for those in the process to give consideration, and is part of what makes this forum valuable.

I gotta go hop on the hay wagon for dinner....
    210K miles rolled

They had already done the DRC upgrade and wouldn't pay for mine.