PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty woes

rs6BC
January 31st, 2014, 21:48
So I need an alternator for the beast.
Thing is.. it doesn't show up on alldata and when I called Audi I get 3.3 or 11hrs

Warranty says they book 4.4 but will cover more if I can provide documentation that its more.

I know its not a 4.4 hour job.. its closer to the 11.. can anyone pull it up or have any experience with the replacement? Im not looking to bite all those extra hours if it can be avoided :*(

DHall1
January 31st, 2014, 22:07
How do you know its closer to 11?

I would guess the 4.4

rs6BC
January 31st, 2014, 22:09
its what another service guide booked it for

ben916
January 31st, 2014, 22:09
IIRC it is closer to 4.4 not 11.

There are some threads about a DIY of dropping the front sway and swapping alt in and buttoning it back up.

nitrorocket
January 31st, 2014, 23:04
Its a 3 hour job tops.

Bigglezworth
February 1st, 2014, 00:19
2.5-3 hours max.

lswing
February 1st, 2014, 02:25
Search alternator swap, refurb, many on here have done in an afternoon...

4everRS
February 1st, 2014, 04:48
Not a tough job. I've done it in about 4 hours. Have to sacrifice a wrench getting the motor mount out of the way.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/motormountwrench.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/crocodile64/media/motormountwrench.jpg.html)

nubcake
February 1st, 2014, 08:40
Here's the DIY thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19720-Alternator-replacement
Took a couple of hours on lift, didn't have to touch the motor mount IIRC.

4.2Crew
February 1st, 2014, 13:44
Same here... Did it in 3 hours max. The two tricky areas for me were moving the oil lines out of the way and the tight friction-fit of the alternator "ears" to the mounting bracket... Chamfering (filing down) the ears facilitated the re-install.

UrS6
February 2nd, 2014, 20:12
It doesn't matter how long it takes. He is asking what the flat rate time is. That is what the warranty company will pay. It is not based on how fast you can do it and most likely the mechanic can do it much faster than the flat rate time. But they will charge what the book says and not the actual time.

DHall1
February 3rd, 2014, 02:00
Actually the OP asked for both personal knowledge and documentation.

So dont bash members for answering the questions.

What exactly does your post add to this topic? ^^

Thing is.. it doesn't show up on alldata and when I called Audi I get 3.3 or 11hrs

Warranty says they book 4.4 but will cover more if I can provide documentation that its more.

I know its not a 4.4 hour job.. its closer to the 11.. can anyone pull it up or have any experience with the replacement? Im not looking to bite all those extra hours if it can be avoided :*(

4everRS
February 3rd, 2014, 04:10
For whatever reason I remember taking the mount out. I thI think I maybe needed the new mount or something.

Here's the DIY thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19720-Alternator-replacement
Took a couple of hours on lift, didn't have to touch the motor mount IIRC.

4everRS
February 3rd, 2014, 04:19
I'm confused.

According to OP , the warranty co pays 4.4. He thinks 11 for some reason. So far, everyone helps him by correcting his thought of 11 hrs.

Now as to why I'm confused, what's your point?

It doesn't matter how long it takes. He is asking what the flat rate time is. That is what the warranty company will pay. It is not based on how fast you can do it and most likely the mechanic can do it much faster than the flat rate time. But they will charge what the book says and not the actual time.

UrS6
February 3rd, 2014, 15:58
Actually the OP asked for both personal knowledge and documentation.

So dont bash members for answering the questions.

What exactly does your post add to this topic? ^^
Pump your breaks Dave. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm not sure where you got that. And I still read it as asking for experience with book times. Isn't this about what the warranty company will authorize for the job? My post adds clarifying the question as it seems to ask something different than what the responses answer. Are you a little agro today?

LIRS6
February 3rd, 2014, 16:09
Same here... Did it in 3 hours max. The two tricky areas for me were moving the oil lines out of the way and the tight friction-fit of the alternator "ears" to the mounting bracket... Chamfering (filing down) the ears facilitated the re-install.

What he said - and in may case, it was just the regulator that was history ... although you can only get to the regulator by removing the alternator <d'oh>

DHall1
February 3rd, 2014, 16:27
I only made it to 8th grade but

Can anyone pull it up or have any experience with replacement.

So, members are helping with personal experience with replacement. All arrows pointing to a valid 4.4 book time.

Who are you to say the personal experience does not matter.

Would you like to bring in personal experience or have a book time to add?

UrS6
February 3rd, 2014, 16:45
I only made it to 8th grade but

Can anyone pull it up or have any experience with replacement.

So, members are helping with personal experience with replacement. All arrows pointing to a valid 4.4 book time.

Who are you to say the personal experience does not matter.

Would you like to bring in personal experience or have a book time to add?
I read that as "does anyone have experience having it replaced an May have a labor time on their paperwork." The OP is trying not to pay the difference between the 4.4 hours the warranty company authorized and the 11 hours he was told he might be charged. If it is a warranty issue why would he care about how long I an do it in my driveway? So no Dave, I don't have a personal story to share but I did try to clarify the OPs question which I still believe is: what is the allotted flats rate book time for this job so that I can make sure my warranty company pays the full tab and I don't have to pay the difference

LIRS6
February 3rd, 2014, 17:32
who cares who said what and why ... enuf people chime in here for the OP to get answers, and others in turn learn info that they may have wondered about/needed.

Lighten up everyone

lswing
February 3rd, 2014, 22:24

I was actually going to post that I found this response a bit pointed. I think everyone knows what he is asking about. Also the OP finding a number as far off as 11 hours warranties some replies that the job is no where near that time. Personal experience from others can help someone make sense of what is going on with the repairs.

Ok, onto solving world peace....

UrS6
February 3rd, 2014, 22:46
I was actually going to post that I found this response a bit pointed. I think everyone knows what he is asking about. Also the OP finding a number as far off as 11 hours warranties some replies that the job is no where near that time. Personal experience from others can help someone make sense of what is going on with the repairs.

Ok, onto solving world peace....

Certainly not my intention. Perhaps a case of the tone being lost online. I don't think it warranted the response it got.

G2
February 4th, 2014, 21:01
Here's what I come up with (Mitchell):

<tbody>
Labor
ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY - R&R All

-

X (http://www.rs6.com/#)

Labor
ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY - R&R All V6,3.0L Eng

-

</tbody>

First one is for an S6, second one references a V6 when looking up an A6 4.2.

I'd say 4.4hrs, wherever it's hiding, is very reasonable and possibly generous. Most consumers don't realize that the flat rate labor charge includes doing a fair bit more than the DIY'er often does on their own.

From what I see on my RS6, shouldn't be more than a 2-3hr R&R, with the other hand holding a hot cup of coffee.

Perhaps get the service shop to committ to the labor time? Seems reasonable. Then you won't need to worry about being charged 11hrs. Or find another shop that will say what you want to hear.....(after all, it's human nature to do that). Either way at least the warranty co. is paying for most if not all of it.....

CornersWell
February 4th, 2014, 22:27
Well, I'm trying to remember what problems I had when my alternator went bad. It was something similar. The number of hours the Audi manual (which the dealer WOULDN'T provide estimates a much higher number (over 10, IIRC) versus what the independent manuals report. My aftermarket warranty company used the independent manuals and only reimbursed a fraction of the cost. I was charged the difference (at 5pm on the Friday before a July 4th weekend after not having had the use of my car for almost a week). I paid under duress and filed a complaint with AmEx who investigated. The dealer (Audi of Alexandria) completely ignored AmEx, refused to answer anything, gave us all the run-around and never provided the documentation in support of their position. The charge was eventually reversed. I will NEVER recommend Audi of Alexandria to anyone. For anything. EVER.

CW