Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty woes

Extended warranty woes

So I need an alternator for the beast.
    Thing is.. it doesn't show up on alldata and when I called Audi I get 3.3 or 11hrs

Warranty says they book 4.4 but will cover more if I can provide documentation that its more.

I know its not a 4.4 hour job.. its closer to the 11.. can anyone pull it up or have any experience with the replacement? Im not looking to bite all those extra hours if it can be avoided :*(

How do you know its closer to 11?

I would guess the 4.4

its what another service guide booked it for

IIRC it is closer to 4.4 not 11.

There are some threads about a DIY of dropping the front sway and swapping alt in and buttoning it back up.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Its a 3 hour job tops.

2.5-3 hours max.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Search alternator swap, refurb, many on here have done in an afternoon...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Not a tough job. I've done it in about 4 hours. Have to sacrifice a wrench getting the motor mount out of the way.

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Here's the DIY thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19...or-replacement
    Took a couple of hours on lift, didn't have to touch the motor mount IIRC.

Same here... Did it in 3 hours max. The two tricky areas for me were moving the oil lines out of the way and the tight friction-fit of the alternator "ears" to the mounting bracket... Chamfering (filing down) the ears facilitated the re-install.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

It doesn't matter how long it takes. He is asking what the flat rate time is. That is what the warranty company will pay. It is not based on how fast you can do it and most likely the mechanic can do it much faster than the flat rate time. But they will charge what the book says and not the actual time.

Actually the OP asked for both personal knowledge and documentation.

So dont bash members for answering the questions.

What exactly does your post add to this topic? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by rs6BC View Post
    Thing is.. it doesn't show up on alldata and when I called Audi I get 3.3 or 11hrs

Warranty says they book 4.4 but will cover more if I can provide documentation that its more.

I know its not a 4.4 hour job.. its closer to the 11.. can anyone pull it up or have any experience with the replacement? Im not looking to bite all those extra hours if it can be avoided :*(

For whatever reason I remember taking the mount out. I thI think I maybe needed the new mount or something.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Here's the DIY thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19...or-replacement
    Took a couple of hours on lift, didn't have to touch the motor mount IIRC.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I'm confused.

According to OP , the warranty co pays 4.4. He thinks 11 for some reason. So far, everyone helps him by correcting his thought of 11 hrs.

Now as to why I'm confused, what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    It doesn't matter how long it takes. He is asking what the flat rate time is. That is what the warranty company will pay. It is not based on how fast you can do it and most likely the mechanic can do it much faster than the flat rate time. But they will charge what the book says and not the actual time.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Actually the OP asked for both personal knowledge and documentation.

So dont bash members for answering the questions.

What exactly does your post add to this topic? ^^
    Pump your breaks Dave. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm not sure where you got that. And I still read it as asking for experience with book times. Isn't this about what the warranty company will authorize for the job? My post adds clarifying the question as it seems to ask something different than what the responses answer. Are you a little agro today?

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Same here... Did it in 3 hours max. The two tricky areas for me were moving the oil lines out of the way and the tight friction-fit of the alternator "ears" to the mounting bracket... Chamfering (filing down) the ears facilitated the re-install.
    What he said - and in may case, it was just the regulator that was history ... although you can only get to the regulator by removing the alternator
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I only made it to 8th grade but

Can anyone pull it up or have any experience with replacement.

So, members are helping with personal experience with replacement. All arrows pointing to a valid 4.4 book time.

Who are you to say the personal experience does not matter.

Would you like to bring in personal experience or have a book time to add?

Quote Originally Posted by rs6BC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I only made it to 8th grade but

Can anyone pull it up or have any experience with replacement.

So, members are helping with personal experience with replacement. All arrows pointing to a valid 4.4 book time.

Who are you to say the personal experience does not matter.

Would you like to bring in personal experience or have a book time to add?
    I read that as "does anyone have experience having it replaced an May have a labor time on their paperwork." The OP is trying not to pay the difference between the 4.4 hours the warranty company authorized and the 11 hours he was told he might be charged. If it is a warranty issue why would he care about how long I an do it in my driveway? So no Dave, I don't have a personal story to share but I did try to clarify the OPs question which I still believe is: what is the allotted flats rate book time for this job so that I can make sure my warranty company pays the full tab and I don't have to pay the difference