Thread: Car dies everytime I try and start it

Hybrid View

That's fucking nice. And how much does an alternator cost? Do you know where its located? Is it easy to change?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Bad alternator. At 9-10V is clear that cars electonics are drawing from battery during each drive. Slid 14-14.2V required during proper alternator charging process. Could be just a bad regulator, but still requires an alternator pull. Best to put front clip in service position for the R&R erffort.

#1 - replace/rebuild alternator
    #2 - have battery power cycled at shop to see if it has been compromised as a result
    #3 - replace battery if test fails in #2.
    #4 - keep enjoying your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinrs6 View Post
    That's fucking nice. And how much does an alternator cost? Do you know where its located? Is it easy to change?
    Therein, as they say, lies the rub.

AoA doesn't stock them anymore (call around, you may find a stealership with one sitting on the shelf), and OE suppliers I've found are selling an Interchange part that doesn't interchange properly. If you can stomach having your RS6 down for a week or so, you could have your Alternator pulled and send it off for rebuild - I've used Kaestner Auto in Wisconsin, and they've been awesome thus far. They're the ones who found the issue with the non-interchangeable part - the pulley shaft is too small of a diameter and doesn't stick far enough out of the alternator to have the proper pulley mounted. As for location/changing - the alternator is under the engine and is an enormous pain in the ass to get to / R&R. I took mine to a local shop, they charged 6 hours labor and that was on the low side since they know me and have worked on my cars before.

Good luck!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

i have my own mechanic shop at a bunch of lifts i can do the job myself. my rs6 has been sitting in a temp. garage for months i only take it out for shows/weekends. the problem here your saying is its very hard to find. you think i should just change the regulator and the battery see if its gonna work? i dont wanna drop a lotta money if its an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Therein, as they say, lies the rub.

AoA doesn't stock them anymore (call around, you may find a stealership with one sitting on the shelf), and OE suppliers I've found are selling an Interchange part that doesn't interchange properly. If you can stomach having your RS6 down for a week or so, you could have your Alternator pulled and send it off for rebuild - I've used Kaestner Auto in Wisconsin, and they've been awesome thus far. They're the ones who found the issue with the non-interchangeable part - the pulley shaft is too small of a diameter and doesn't stick far enough out of the alternator to have the proper pulley mounted. As for location/changing - the alternator is under the engine and is an enormous pain in the ass to get to / R&R. I took mine to a local shop, they charged 6 hours labor and that was on the low side since they know me and have worked on my cars before.

Good luck!

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinrs6 View Post
    Google "site:rs6.com alternator"...you'll get plenty of info, although looks like Erik spelled it out.

Hey, don't complain too much, my car was leaking coolant, and just sprung a fuel leak down by the pumps...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

that sucks but thanks ill check it out. mine only has 50k miles im surprised it went out that fast maybe cause its been sitting awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Google "site:rs6.com alternator"...you'll get plenty of info, although looks like Erik spelled it out.

Hey, don't complain too much, my car was leaking coolant, and just sprung a fuel leak down by the pumps...