Thread: Pics of stereo

Hybrid View

Sorry it took a while to get back to you all. I actually had 2 x 12" Alpine Pro series in a nice box that came to about 80lbs, which for me was too much weight. The "free air" seems as though it would only vibrate and sound poor. What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations. I thought for sure I was going to have to make custom ported enclosures, but there was no need. I know that there will be critics, and as I used to install stereos in the distant past I would have been one as well, but it does seem to work. I will be adding some in-line filters though.

Quote Originally Posted by formula1man View Post
    What is facinating, is that when it is enclosed in the sides (with the side openings closed) it sounds fine with no hideous vibrations.
    Those speakers, as you have them mounted, are not capable of generating any sort of meaningful sound. They may not be rattling any bits of the vehicle, but it's also not adding to the sound output of your audio system. Leave them that way if you'd like but you're not taking advantage of your investment unless you put those speakers into some sort of enclosure.