Thread: An interesting malfunction. I got lucky it didn't damage anything.

An interesting malfunction. I got lucky it didn't damage anything.

Just out running errands to day in my ride. Ran through a fun little road we call "The twisty road" at about 60%. Nothing serious, nothing slack.

Never hit any bumps or pot holes either.

Came to a four way stop intersection and waited my turn.

As I got rolling (fortunately I was being very relaxed about take off - just eased out on the clutch) the rear end suddenly had a very loose feeling - as if something had let go.

I throttled off and then gingerly rolled back into the throttle - yea, the rear end felt as if it were trying to steer a little bit.

HUH???

I wiggled the steering wheel a bit back and forth and the right rear side of the car seemed to wag much more than I'd ever felt.

I pulled over and inspected the rear end of the car - making sure that all the suspension components were okay. Seemed like all was good.

I visually checked all the bolts and nuts that can be seen through the rims and by laying on the ground under the back of the car. Nothing seemed out of place.

I then sat down and pushed on the leading and trailing edges of the right rear tire with my feet - the wheel wiggled. Uh oh! :bigeyes:

I had a feeling that the lower rear link, that controls the toe of the rear wheels, had an issue.

Fortunately I was only about 2 miles from the Audi dealership that services my cars. I very, very carefully drove to the shop making sure that I didn't have any sudden input from throttle or brake. It kept the torque of the rear wheel on the bearing carrier/housing at a minimum.

Sure enough, the mount for the link had come out of the aluminum housing of the rear carrier. The nut and bolt were still in the bushing.

The bushing had worked it's way out of the aluminum casting.

Defect?
    Just use and street abuse?

Not sure yet.

Audi's covering it - all warranty. (wouldn't expect anything less, as this is a part/manufacturing failure) They're red-labeling in a new right rear bearing carrier/rear housing. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on these parts and inspecting them to see what caused the failure. The Mechanical Engineer and machinist in me has my curiosity running on high.

I'll try to get some pix of the parts and pass on what Audi tells me about the problem as I find out more.

Anybody else have this sort of failure?

I've been thinking about it - track cars, while seeing a high level of stress, generally see a smooth world. The loads are not shock loads, but ramp up and down as the car goes around the course. Throttle, braking, lateral loading are all factors that could attribute to a failure such as this, but in general, for a bushing that is tolerance fit into a cast part to get pulled out via these loads isn't going to happen.

So what about street use (abuse)? Streets are rough, nasty environments. There are always holes, ridges, cracks and such that jar the vehicle.

The streets around here are not to terribly bad and I'm so familiar with them that I know where to dodge and dart to avoid nasty stuff.

We just finished a 3,700 mile trip. I had a couple fairly major thumps given via road work and such, but nothing that would rip out a suspension component.

W/o getting to inspect the piece, I'll stand on the idea that I just happened to be one of the lucky individuals that got a slightly defective piece. (let's hope so).

I guess the only thing that really worries me about it is that, as far as I can tell, I have many more miles on my car than the average R8 owner.

It's the drivers like me, that get out and use their machines on a daily basis, in all conditions, that find the little engineering misses.

No matter how much testing the factories do, it's usually the consumer that ends up finding little nuisance things. (I've seen this happen in the motorcycle industry countless times)

I'll be keeping a very close eye on the left side now.

As stated, I hope this is a one-off issue.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

wow. Ti-Mike had an issue similar to this while in Italy. I hope he can comment on your post. and yes- please keep us posted. please.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Because of the stink that was raised about Ti-Mike's ride being used on a track, bending wheels and such, please let it be known that my R8 has never and as long as I own it will NOT see a race track.

I know myself way too well and if I'm given the chance to put my car on a track, I WILL end up throwing the car away. I would have to push the car past my limits and that would end up in an off track, off road excursion. I have a desert race car for off roading and I would like to keep it this way.

My car has about 30,300 miles on it at present. Over it's life it's hit it's fair share of teeth rattling pot holes, highway seams and such. It's the life of a daily driver. I try to avoid as much of the rough stuff as possible, but anyone that's driven more than a couple hundred miles in their life realizes that you can't miss them all. They always make me grimace too. The damn highway seams can be some of the worst, as they sneak up on you quickly and too often there's nothing you can do but take the hit and then swear a lot...

The failure is the mount for the link that controls the toe. I'm not sure of the name. Some would call it a radius rod, others a drag link (wouldn't a drag link be be seen wearing a dress, high heels and lip stick?) and some would refer to it as a traverse link.

The link mounts to the bearing carrier/rear carrier assembly. The mount for this link is a pressed in steel cup of sorts that's not supposed to come out of it's aluminum housing. The cup is what pulled out.

Click on pic for a better view.

The shiny cylinder is supposed to be inside that piece of webbing just to the left of it.

in summary- is this also what happened to Ti-Mike? how does it happen? what can I look out for and should I have my car inspected?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Is that only a V8 problem or can it happen to the V10 as well.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

RXBG - I am under the impression that Ti-Mike suffered a similar problem, but I've not seen pix of his damage nor was I able to read his original post, as he'd removed it after what would appear to be a serious slamming.

Right now I wouldn't worry about it much. Let's see what this thread and the thread on R8Talk.com produce from others.

I plan on talking to my Audi tech about it too and seeing what he can find out about this happening. Hard to say what percentage of Audi owners come to forums like this, so it could just be a couple of fairly isolated instances.

Jarrod (yes, I know who you are, I just can't find you!) - my understanding is that it's the same part on both cars, but do not hold me to that.

uuuuuuuu looks preety similar....let me check for some more informations........
    saluto da mike the Nougatilicious marker

switzerland - a land flowing with milk and honey

Quote Originally Posted by KfabR8 View Post
    RXBG - I am under the impression that Ti-Mike suffered a similar problem, but I've not seen pix of his damage nor was I able to read his original post, as he'd removed it after what would appear to be a serious slamming.
    Here is the post, I did not see any "slamming" at all.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17717

The pictures are gone from the post.

Thanks kfab for all your info.
    Last edited by R8forfun; August 27th, 2009 at 22:25. Reason: Added link