Thread: go and get your R8 check ASAP

go and get your R8 check ASAP

Hi Guys
    I know I haven't been around for quite a while.....lot's of work etc.

Anyway my R8 has been sleeping during bad weather and winter period, finally nice weather since several days.....conclusion, let's fire up the engine and drive around the lake of como, with some friend........

We had a nice stop on the road and a good coffee, after this I went back to my car and we left town, immediately i realized that something is wrong, and I gave light signal to my friend in front of me. The car felt like driving on ice.
    We stopped at a bus stop and checked the tires, nothing, I know there is a pressure indicator, but I don't trust all the technic, nothing.......ok back in the car and after, maybe 10m, boom.........

The good thing I was only about 3 to 5 km/H driving that is also why the car stopped within 2 to 3 meters.

If this would have happened at higher speed....wow, i don't care really about myself, because if you drive fast you must keep in mind that something could happen......but if i imagine that this whole part ( tire, rim , disk, mount, shock absorber, brake caliper ) would be ripped of my car and hit another vehicle.............

To is sunday....great weather .....all cars are packed with kid's, wife's , dog's etc........

I was luck that nothing happened to some other people........

the cause a simple screw is broken.........

My car has 6500km on the clock............go and have your cars checked........

Anyway even if my R8 V10 should arrive very soon ............. i don't know anymore......no more faith.........I don't know if I should even take it back or leave it there until the V10 is in, if I still take a V10.......

The good thing , low speed ...............that's why the damage is not to big, anyway the car has still warranty.

I have send a MMS to the sales director Audi Switzerland, as I have a meeting with him anyway on Tuesday, Audi Switzerland will send a immediately alert message to Audi Germany.

saluto da mike the Nougatilicious marker

switzerland - a land flowing with milk and honey

Man, this is one stupid thing to happend! I would never expect such case with Audi..., specially R8! Thank God you and everybody else got unhurt out of this.

This thread should be on alert for every R8 owner!

Audi needs some explaining to do...!

Thanks Mike for passing on this important info. I still love that dark green color of your car. And I agree, it could have been a very serious incident. I will check my car immediately. Bon Chance.

Mike,
    I fully agree with you. Simply said horrible technical error made in production. Lost of faith in R8 and in Audi in general is understandable. Please, post here explanation that you will get from Audi.

Don't over react. The cars have been bullet proof. It's a mechanical object built by humans, shit happens. No need to extend this to the R10.
    2008 Ferrari F430 Spider F1

as i have mentioned before, technical failures do happen, see airplanes or even space shuttles, I would never start putting pressure to Audi, they should just make sure that this does not happened to anybody else, who is not so lucky as I am. And having this failure at 100 mph.
    That's all, just make sure someone checks, and if your car feels, it's been driving on ice at 57 F or 14 C then stop asap. That's all........and even if the car still looks normal, don't move it anymore.

Very sad to see this, not good...

But better that the speed was low and no-one was injured.
    Please post the following discussions with Audi here!

And you other R8 guys, check this!!

Please don't get me wrong

I am not blaming Audi, I just said, get your cars checked...........before it might happened to someone else.

Everything humans build can have a failure, period full stop.

My car has arrived already this morning at Audi, they will change the parts on both sides, and send them to Germany.....they have contacted them already.....now this is what i like, quick reaction time, they would like to check, perfect............

No matter how high the quality standards are it has been build by us, Humans.........even if a robot is building the part, who did program him ....right a human did and if we go to the state of the art quality control......the Space Shuttle, ( every screw has a x ray picture ) well even they fall of the sky.......errare humanum est

I am more then happy that Audi investigates that quickly and we will see, if it was only a little problem with the material or if you all will receive a letter from audi in the next weeks........

Is it normal that the axle on supercars is hold together with just one screw?? Did you drive over anything or smthg?

Have you been powersliding alot?

as I spoke to Audi today, all this things like slides etc do not do anything to this screw........forces like this are calculated..........
    by the way slides do not do any harm because the grip is gone............
    It seems that it is a failure in the material

thnaks for posting. will be checking my car when i get home tonight!
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Just to let you know also, when I had a courtesy car, the R8, r-tronic and not sure if this is normal but everytime when idling it seemed to jump out of gear. So when standing by red light it said bling and jumped out...not funny at all.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Mike View Post
    as I spoke to Audi today, all this things like slides etc do not do anything to this screw........forces like this are calculated..........
    by the way slides do not do any harm because the grip is gone............
    It seems that it is a failure in the material
    Since hearing that it was a material failure and probably a one-off does this ease your mind in both Audi and the R8.

Hope it does because there's few other cars out there capable of matching the allround ability of the R8.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by liwi View Post
    Just to let you know also, when I had a courtesy car, the R8, r-tronic and not sure if this is normal but everytime when idling it seemed to jump out of gear. So when standing by red light it said bling and jumped out...not funny at all.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Normal R Tronic thing. Another reason not to like R Tronic...