Thread: Car's Been Sitting - Need Help w/ Battery & Safe Mode

Mech Car's Been Sitting - Need Help w/ Battery & Safe Mode

Hoping someone can help me or give me advice. My RS6 has been sitting in my driveway for the past year 'cause it won't pass emissions, possibly due to a few sensors (that I haven't had the money to replace) that recycle the exhaust until the engine warms up. Every month (give or take a week or two) I charge the battery, start it up, let it idle for about 5 minutes and then drive it around the neighborhood. Today when I started it, the radio read "Safe" and wouldn't play. My manual says nothing about "Safe". What's it mean and how do I fix it?

Also, does anyone know of a good hookup for a battery? It seems pretty specialized. So I'm guessing Audi charges $500-$1000 for one since that's what everything else on this car costs.

Thanks for your help!
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

You should have a card in with your manual that has the radio code...lots of tutorials out there with a quick search on how to enter the code. If you don't have the code, it can be recovered through a series of emails or chats with Audi...I forget the link here, but I did it a few years ago...again, probably with a few searches online, you'll find the link (how I found it).

Battery wise, here are some thoughts from a recent thread...should be able to get something comparable at a decent battery shop for a couple/few hundred $$.
    34119-RS6-battery-size

Needless to say, get your battery sorted before worrying about the radio code as you may get the same issue again until the battery is fresh. You might want to check out one of these too...NOCO battery charger/maintainer...very inexpensive now and I love their products...
    https://no.co/products/charging/genius

What Muggy said about the radio. I can't remember if the Audi cigarette lighter plugs are hot when the car is off (I'm halfway around the world at the moment from my garage). If they are you can get a quality trickle charger/battery maintainer. If your not going to fix your emissions issues soon it would be better to do a fresh oil change, start it up for a minute then shut it down and let it sit for a while. Short drives are not long enough to burn off moisture and just cause the lower heated oil to mix with water vapors to cause acidic reactions. Either drive it long, 10+miles or let it sit with fresh oil in it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Common problem. I use CTEK and plug in a trickle charger if it is sitting for over a week. Connected above the extinguisher.

I just keep an eye on the voltage with a CTEK battery sense. You can read the voltage via bluetooth on a phone app.

I use a standard lead acid 110 AH but I see other solutions on here for a bit more I expect.

My radio (RNSE) just connects automatically when the power is restored. The car remembers the radio. Other than a dying battery or extreme cold, one of the common problems with the battery losing charge quickly is the battery in the alarm horn. I removed mine and it restored the power storage to normal but depending on your options, the car still has a thirst for power with the alarm monitoring system, Comfort module and the like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extinguisher.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	19567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery voltage.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	19568  
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    the car still has a thirst for power with the alarm monitoring system, Comfort module and the like.
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. Years ago my child put pennies into the c/d player. So my radio came from someone else here on RS6.com who had upgraded to the RNSE. So I don't have the radio card and will need more advice on how to figure that one out.

The alarm was something I hadn't thought about. No wonder my battery is dying. I wonder if I charge it and lock the doors without alarming it if it will hold a charge.

Thanks Again!

This is what came out of mine.

I can leave mine totally unlocked in a secure garage and that was when I noticed that main battery life was further extended when not locked, even after the alarm itself was removed. Frankly I don't know if you are able to lock the door but not arm the alarm system. Bottom line is you just need a good battery and a trickle charger if you don't drive often. That is with all the electrics working properly. Add any unusual current drain and you're really pushing it uphill to keep a charge.

Name:	alarm.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19569  

Is that a Goodwin green RS6 in your avatar?
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

BLITZEN, it will cost you money but I think an Audi dealer can hook up to your car an log into an Audi database in Germany and come up with your PIN.
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    Is that a Goodwin green RS6 in your avatar?
    Yes. Mine is Goodwood Green, w/black interior and hot and cold weather packages. The combination makes it one of five in the United States.

[QUOTE=IchBautAuto;294976]Common problem. I use CTEK and plug in a trickle charger if it is sitting for over a week. Connected above the extinguisher.

CTEK does make a good trickle charger, and easy to use. I connected it directly to the battery, did not know there was another location to plug in.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

It's the ctek indicator panel.

Just fit somewhere to your preference, connect to battery and leave it. Then in my case I can charge any time with the boot full or empty, connects to charger in seconds. Perfect accessory for cars with their battery under the boot floor panel.

Name:	INDICATOR_PANEL_1.5-web-big-2.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	19570  

IchBautAuto, I notice you have a Unimog, cool rig, farm use or just a play thing? I've got an ex-military HMMWV in real good condition, just a play thing but I'm selling my truck so it's also going to become my toy hauler. Drive to Stuttgart last week to the Porsche Museum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stuttgart drive.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	19571
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; October 4th, 2021 at 17:06.
    Roy, WA

I purchased a radio Safe code for $8 on ebay with the radio serial number. Car sat for 2 yrs with no issue. Worked fine. I pulled the battery when I got the cluster repaired and the emergency battery went to zero lost the saved RNS-E pin. Replacement pin did not work for me though, seems it was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    IchBautAuto, I notice you have a Unimog, cool rig, farm use or just a play thing? I've got an ex-military HMMWV in real good condition, just a play thing but I'm selling my truck so it's also going to become my toy hauler. Drive to Stuttgart last week to the Porsche Museum.
    Definitely a play thing. Built a camper to go on the tray (almost finished) but Audi keep getting in the road. Started as a civil defence TLF8 in 63, retired to Husum fire brigade then retired again to Wittbek community fire brigade before going on the market. Note steering wheel is on the wrong side Had it about 16 years. Not a practical unit in todays world. Tops out at 80 KPH with a tail wind, 2.2 ltr straight 6 and 10 mpg if you are lucky. Plan wise it is about RS6 size, just with a bit more ground clearance. The camper is 3 x 2 Mtr so quite compact.

Apologies to BLITZEN for hijacking his thread.

Name:	63 Mog.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	19572