Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed: DIY DRC removal/swap with Koni Yellow Sports....

Are the lines fairly accessible on a lift? Do you have to remove anything to get them out? Are they all bolted/strapped to the undercarriage or routed through places and things...?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Yes, the factory springs were retained...

I'll post pics later today of the car.

As for as cost and simplicity, I echo your sentiments exactly!..... Just couldn't see the value in coilovers for my driving lifestyle---"Set it, adjust it, and forget it!" Factor in the cost savings and the fact that, if you do this yourself or pay someone, the labor time is about the same!.... One exception: The 2Bennet coilovers come ready for "bolt-in." But delivered to my door they where just under $2100...

To my surprise, I couldn't find anyone else in the forum archives that went this route----Or, at least posted about it!....

Adjustable ride-height coilovers do have an advantage over this method. But, you can cut additional grooves into the Koni strut body to achieve the same results... If using the factory spring, the critical measurement is from the center of the bottom mounting eye to the bottom spring perch----that is where the 95% of the ride height is determined....

Also, here in MN, the screw-type adjustable spring perches are exposed to extereme envirnmental conditions... Just ask a shop if they like working on adjustable coilovers once those fine threads are corroded!
    So I have the konis installed, rear height is not where I wanted. Ask the shop about putting another notch in the shock they don't believe they can. Can you share how you would cut additional grooves in the shock body?

It seems like it would be sketchy to cut a notch, you could pierce the strut body. If I remember, the spring mount is like a big e-clip, just needs a groove to clip into. I think the ride is perfect, I'm almost perfect level, sitting on low all around I believe, fronts are not height adjustable right.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Mine sits perfectly level as well... Cutting an extra groove into strut bodies is quite common for fine tuning ride height and preload in custom applications---grooves are relatively very shallow with all forces being in "shear."

Good luck!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    So I have the konis installed, rear height is not where I wanted. Ask the shop about putting another notch in the shock they don't believe they can. Can you share how you would cut additional grooves in the shock body?
    Here are the after pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_125404[1].jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	14104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_125547[1].jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	14105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_125537[1].jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	14106Click image for larger version. 

ID:	14104

Hmmm, rear does seem a bit high, tough to really tell without a true side profile on flat surface, but guess it's high. So it's on lowest perch? Maybe something wrong with the install or struts?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Gents with the Konis and stock springs... I am thinking about this setup on my allroad. Car is about 200 lbs heavier than RS (can't recall exactly as I am mobile right now). Would the Konis rebound and damper movement well with an extra 200-250 lbs in your RS?
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Well, I got mine on the softest of (5?) settings and the ride is just a bit firmer than DRC was, I really like it. Could go one click firmer to match the spring rate a bit better, but really good all around ride. I would think a few hundred pounds wouldn't bother the Koni's.

Thanks again to 4.2 crew!

just did the SAME swap, using the Koni Yellow shocks. I can't believe i waited this long to do this....better than stock, good ride quality, crisp handling but not annoying or too bumpy. Used stock springs. After having THREE (3) OEM shock set-ups FAIL, this is by far the best handling my RS6 has been. Slightly modified the initial adjustment, set the fronts at 1.5 turn from softest, and set rears at 0.75 turns from softest.

Just had my DRC replaced with the Koni struts and they rock. The tech put the fronts on the 6th position (half way) and the rears on 7th to control acceleration squat. Added the Hotchkis SB's and the ride and handling are firm and compliant. Tech said the strut settings relate the position / depth of the strut at rest which is why he recommended the 6th position. Read on another forum post that the settings were to make up for wear over time. So who knows.

Appreciate that the car doesn't scrape on parking curbs or speed bumps. It almost soaks up speedbumps now. Purchased the car with a failed DRC so can't compare it to the original set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbo View Post
    Just had my DRC replaced with the Koni struts and they rock. The tech put the fronts on the 6th position (half way) and the rears on 7th to control acceleration squat. Added the Hotchkis SB's and the ride and handling are firm and compliant. Tech said the strut settings relate the position / depth of the strut at rest which is why he recommended the 6th position. Read on another forum post that the settings were to make up for wear over time. So who knows.

Appreciate that the car doesn't scrape on parking curbs or speed bumps. It almost soaks up speedbumps now. Purchased the car with a failed DRC so can't compare it to the original set up.
    Glad to hear it, I really like the setup and price can't be beat! I'm set on full soft all around, but ride is still firm, although I think the back has sagged about 1/4" or so. Enjoy!

If others are not having probs w/high rears....then loosen the rear control arms, let the car settle, retorque WITH weight on the rear wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    Here are the after pics

Click image for larger version. 

ID:	14104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_125547[1].jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	14105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_125537[1].jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	14106Click image for larger version. 

ID:	14104

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If others are not having probs w/high rears....then loosen the rear control arms, let the car settle, retorque WITH weight on the rear wheels.
    This has worked well for me in the past.

I would have a hard time not going with the koni setup if my well functioning DRC fails.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I just ordered my Koni's at TireRack.. $595.56 after tax and free shipping.. I'll try to take as many pictures as I can. I am so greatful I found this.. It's going to easily save me 2 grand and give me a ride I can be happy with.. Thank you!

Well this has been a timely bump on this thread. My DRC developed a leak last week and I've been debating what route to take. I'm glad I saw this as I was getting very near to going the coilover route. However I think I've found the solution for me here, and considering this route is so much more economical than the others I may just throw in the sway bars to boot. Thank you 4.2Crew for starting this thread and to all the others that contributed to the conversation, much has been learned and much will be saved.
    2015 Q7 TDI 2013 TTS 2003 RS6 2000 A6 4.2 Widebody
    1984 Thunderbird (351 Supercharged) 1975 Nissan Fairlady Z

please come back with feedback once you have it installed. You had a good working DRC for quite a while now so your comparison DRC vs Koni will be most welcomed .
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

I will. I ordered the shocks last night and hopefully the swap will be completed this weekend. Fortunately I only had to deal with the noise for one day so my comparison should be unbiased with respect to clunking and poor stability as the experience of a properly functioning DRC is still fresh.
    2015 Q7 TDI 2013 TTS 2003 RS6 2000 A6 4.2 Widebody
    1984 Thunderbird (351 Supercharged) 1975 Nissan Fairlady Z