Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's had their Converter replaced?

Who's had their Converter replaced?

What did you replace it with and what are your impressions of it? I need mine replaced and trying to decide on which one. I will be keeping the trans, just replacing the TC. Thanks for any input.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yes, unfortunately. Had a re-build on my TC. Took 3x as long as promised and cost more than the new Audi re-designed TC unit, but that's what the warranty company wanted to do. Moreover, I feel it shifts differently with the re-built unit.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    What did you replace it with and what are your impressions of it? I need mine replaced and trying to decide on which one. I will be keeping the trans, just replacing the TC. Thanks for any input.
    I had mine replaced with an ACE Converter http://aceconverter.com/. The price was right. $424.50 plus shipping. He had a core so he got the rebuilt to me quickly and I was able to send him the core after the install. It arrived on a Wednesday. Tozo installed it that weekend. I sent the core back on Monday. Easy process.

I'm happy with it. Torque Converter with shipping both ways + New Transmission fluid and filter + 4 O2 sensors + Labor was approx $2630.

I've been driving it for about 6 weeks since the TC swap. I check periodically for dreaded P0741 code - no issue. I got the Eurocharge tune at the same time I replaced the TC. The car seems silly fast to me. Shifts great. I'd do it again.
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Yes, unfortunately. Had a re-build on my TC. Took 3x as long as promised and cost more than the new Audi re-designed TC unit, but that's what the warranty company wanted to do. Moreover, I feel it shifts differently with the re-built unit.

CW
    who rebuilt it and do you like the change? How does it feel different?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Great input, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post
    I had mine replaced with an ACE Converter http://aceconverter.com/. The price was right. $424.50 plus shipping. He had a core so he got the rebuilt to me quickly and I was able to send him the core after the install. It arrived on a Wednesday. Tozo installed it that weekend. I sent the core back on Monday. Easy process.

I'm happy with it. Torque Converter with shipping both ways + New Transmission fluid and filter + 4 O2 sensors + Labor was approx $2630.

I've been driving it for about 6 weeks since the TC swap. I check periodically for dreaded P0741 code - no issue. I got the Eurocharge tune at the same time I replaced the TC. The car seems silly fast to me. Shifts great. I'd do it again.

You should check with mmaturo. He's had his TC replaced multiple times, so he should have some info for you.

Mine was replaced 6 months ago with re-designed OEM TC (under Fidelity warranty)...so far so good....

Had mine done at 104,000 miles. Just happened to see code for lockup failure, not CEL ever came on, covered by Audi extended warrantee.

Mike

Mine is at the shop right now. Chris at USP MotorSport prefers to use the Improved Audi OEM unit. So that's what I am going with. EGT sensor's are also being replaced while in there.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

+1 on the new updated OEM unit. FWIW

OK, what is actually updated on the new updated Audi TC? Is it the seal? Spent some time on the phone today with a guy who owns a big TC rebuilding outfit. He said that there are a few issues with the Audi TC but the biggest is by far the seal.

Anyway, where would I source one. Genuine?

Anyone know this?
    OK, what is actually updated on the new updated Audi TC? Is it the seal? Spent some time on the phone today with a guy who owns a big TC rebuilding outfit. He said that there are a few issues with the Audi TC but the biggest is by far the seal.

audionlineparts is cheapest 01L323571G
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Anyone know this?
    I understand the new seal is just made of 'Viton'....which the VAG was using for other applications like pedal bushings way back in the 80s. But I do not have any infomation that points to anything else being 'improved' on the superceeded TCs.

I have an ACES TC waiting to go in mine...I did get a code last year after a year+ of driving it from 78K. I felt some slippage once in a while but never a CEL. I cleared the code back last fall...scanned it last week and no TC code now and I can't really feel any slippage either. But I'm still throwing the ACES TC in soon as everyone I heard from says it really makes a nice 'upgrade' over the stock unit. I'm at 92K now. Pretty sure my TC is the one from new too.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Ditto on the mileage, I just passed 92 as well. God I put a lot of miles on her! I'm on track for nearly 30k!
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

How is still going ?

Hi. I have the same issue with my TC. Just for info, What kind of Warranty did you get and receipt , of course, for safety, we are not talking about a couple of benjamins. Also, if you don't mine, about how much will be just the TC. You can answer me to my e-mail, csiace@wi.rr.com, Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post

Still on my original converter with 119k although i have gotten the fault, just hasn't come back yet

Rhino, it is pretty clear what he paid for the services performed. He clearly states what the price of the converter is, and on the link the ACE converters he included it goes straight to the page that says the converter has a one year warranty. Also, just for general forum etiqiette, write like everyone else. Bold and italicized words may make others think you are yelling or upset.