Thread: Headlight replacement options for our beasts? Euro / aftermarket?

Headlight replacement options for our beasts? Euro / aftermarket?

Hey, all!

After seeing CMNAir's unfortunate post about selling his RS6, I got a bit of a bug to find some euro headlights to install because I like the clean look, and always hated the amber reflectors. Plus, my headlights are getting majorly UV degraded, and looking shabby.

What is the recommended upgrade path for headlights? I would be installing Lamin-X or similar before installing the headlights, but would something like this work well, and be of decent quality?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight...UAAOSwU65cIMTg

It doesn't specify that it is for factory Xenon, but has the adjusters, so that means yes?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Brad

I got mine from Europrice. Not cheap but it was a smooth and easy process
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

A6 headlights do not work.
    Check description carefully: "not for S6 & RS6"

I purchased mine from Europrice as well many years ago, and received great service. I had originally purchased a set when I first got my RS6 from what was then a "reputable" parts reseller, and one came broken and they never made it write. They have seen gone defunct, and good too as I really laid into them online, as I found other owners that were screwed on headlights.

Before the Euro headlights I took mine out and did removed the amber by separating the headlight housing and putting it back together. I've done about 5 of those over the years. I still have my stock units without amber and they are not being used.

There is a guy on Audizine that refurbishes them with improved reflectors. I was thinking about doing mine which are in good condition, just for the better light beam but I'm too lazy with 3 other projects going. Go to the A6, S6, RS6 forum and do a search if interested.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks, all!

Yeah, I'm sure Europrice is nice, and I would imagine they are OEM euro units, but $2600 is a little more than I was planning on biting off.

Nubcake: thanks for the keen eye.. Obvious oversight on my part.

Nene: Might take you up on that. Would you be interested in an exchange, or outright sale?

Hahnmgh63: Thank you for the heads up. I'll investigate that as well!

Ok here’s the burning question for me. Those headlights are nice no doubt about it. Nene My question though is the light pattern and intensity improved?

To be honest the main difference I found was when I changed from default 4300K Xenon to 5400K Osram Xenarc bulbs.
    From the days of the B5 S4 back in 2000, the European headlight lens did not contain certain rings that diffused the light as much as the US version. I am not sure that is applicable to the Euro RS6 headlights. It is possible they are but never really checked.

For me it was mostly on getting the look, and for visibility going with a better bulb should do the trick.
    Below are my stock US units with the orange reflector removed and that was good enough for a while once I got a set of orange turn signals that were mirror covered to blend in.
    I used a heat gun around the seal to take them apart, not the bake-in-oven method. A bit of sealant after closing them back helped keep moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaGLi16v View Post
    Nene: Might take you up on that. Would you be interested in an exchange, or outright sale?
    I was going to reply to you that I was willing to offer them for free if you paid for shipping. But I went to take a look at the units themselves and found that the mirrored paint on the unit itself around the area where the turn signal is de-silvering. It seems to have a discoloration pattern similar to a tightly packed spider web as you would see in old mirrors. Not really that great.
    I felt the area with the tip of my finger and it is smooth. Likely would need to reopen both units and touch up that area, which is unfortunate.

Nene. You are determined man. Love it.