Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drove my first RS6!

Drove my first RS6!

Well hello finally. Ive been lurking here for quite a while absorbing most of the threads here as I've been drooling over owning an RS6 since I first saw one in 2004. You guys here have some pretty sweet rides. Ive always wanted to own one but could never afford one or even get close to one here in Utah.
    Well I finally might be in the market for one and one is up for sale here in Salt Lake. So Ive been digging up its history and want to run a few things by you and get your input. First off please excuse the noob questions Im doing my best here :-)
    I called both dealers that have serviced it here in Utah and also have the car fax.
    Looks like regular maintenence has been done oil etc. Had first timing belt change at 35k. Power steering rack was replaced. DRC was just replaced last month as well as Pads and rotors. Also it looks like the engine was replaced at 55k. Doesn't say why but was done at the dealer. Havent found out why yet. Look into it tomorrow. How big of a deal is that engine replacement. Car seemed to run well as expected. Has 92k on the car now. Car felt and grove solid. Havent found out if a recent timing belt was done since it should be due correct if engine pulled at 55K
    Any way any suggestions would be great.

Also if your interested in my first impression of my first ride. Well after reading all the WOW factor on this car I was impressed but not blown away like I thought I was going to be. I thought I was going to be punched into my seat etc. And I really got on this thing. It was fast but I thought a little..thick and heavy on the torque(not a bad thing) I thought maybe its not fully warm yet etc. Just didnt fit what my dreams were expecting. I even took it back on the freeway and thought man this sure shifts soft. So I didnt know what to think. So I sat and stared at it for about 45 minutes checking under the hood etc.
    Then walks in a guy named Hunter (fellow lurker here on the board who also has an itch to get into a RS) I tell him my concerns and that I didnt get what I expected on the test drive. He says did you put it in sport mode? I said huh? Man am I dense ...NO I didnt. So I grab the salesman and say Ive got to take it out again, he gives me the look like yea right, so we all jump in to try sport mode and then...YES there it is, the smile I had been waiting for! Exactly what I thought it would be, how awesome would it be to drive one of these everyday! So hopefully soon.

Putting the gear selector in "S" is not going to make the car faster. It just holds gears longer on downshifts. That was either your imagination or coincidence that the car was happier at that particular moment and ran harder.

It depends on what context you're coming from as to how the car subjectively "feels." As in, what do you typically drive? Running properly, stock the car should feel dramatic, almost rocket-like in the sweet spot of the torque curve... and almost shocking if it has a good tune. Stock tune it should easily hit 60 in less than five seconds. You can informally time it on a test drive to see.

Many of these cars are not running properly. They are finicky. I suspect the one you drove had issues... the ECU will pull timing or go into soft limp and the car turns into nothing more than an S6. Not slow, but not super either.

I drove a half dozen on my search, it became obvious which ones were to spec and which ones weren't.

Just so that you know placing it into Sports Mode does not increase the power at all or make it any faster for that matter, Sports Mode will only hold the Revs for much longer rather than upshifting earlier. IIRC on full throttle there is no difference in the way they shift in either Drive or Sports Mode.

Beaten to it!

Also if the car ISN'T warmed up (water temp and oil temp) - boost is limited
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I still get the impression that sport feels a bit jumpier/faster due to the shifting and higher revs myself. Seems like the car you drove is bogging a bit for some reason or another. I drove two before buying, one was a rocket, the other so so. Of course the rocket was tuned, but the other felt as if it was missing some punch for whatever reason. Try and drive a few others if you can, sounds like that car has some mixed history.

My reference car before hopping in the RS6 was a 2006 M5, which is a beast also...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yes Im aware it it doesnt make it faster. Sorry worded that incorrectly. But I do agree with Iswing it definitely felt jumpier and quicker. But as you all have said there maybe issues with this one. And it was definitely not warmed up on the the first drive. I wish there were more of these around in this area to drive but sadly thats not the case. Well I will keep my eyes open for one around here, I think I saw a guy on the board from park city, maybe Ill try and contact him for some comparison if he's willing.
    Thanks guys for your input keep your eyes open for me if you see a deal this one was around 19k hoping to get it for alittle less.

in Sport mode, you're generally at higher RPMs, which reduces turbo lag. There isn't much with this car, but it's there. With the turbos already spinning, "throttle response" will feel a lot sharper as a result. You can get the same result in Drive by just clicking the paddle down one gear before getting on it.

Power delivery in the RS6 is very smooth. You really need to see objective numbers (time to 60mph, time to 100mph) to really wrap your head around how fast this thing is, because it's not really felt as dramatically as it is in other cars. I think the exceptional smoothness of the transmission helps. Stock time to 60 is 4.6 seconds, with tuned versions significantly quicker. I think people are getting about 4 seconds flat with ECU tunes?

A huge slam in the back usually comes with big turbos and lots of lag. Cars like that are either slugs or virtually out of control rockets. One car I have driven that didn't lag, yet was still manic and felt nearly out of control was the CLK-DTM. That is a scary car to drive, and the owner eventually wrecked it.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

As said it probably isn't running 100%. Also, the oil must be up to ope temp or full boost will not be reached

Extended test drives followed by a Vag-com scan is essential.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Save your money for a ride that accelerates like this...

'02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

WOT on cold engine = bad.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    WOT on cold engine = bad.
    Car had more than 5 minutes of warm up to get fluids moving. No concerns. Oil is Amzoil synthetic which is what I've run in my rides for decades. 25 years+ and have never had any issues.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

235k miles - gives me hope.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

That's great to have so many miles, nice work caring for the car! I usually let my oil warm up before giving it a go, but each to their own. What have been your major issues over the years? Turbos, TC, Trans?

Wicked 0-40 in first gear there, speed!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    That's great to have so many miles, nice work caring for the car! I usually let my oil warm up before giving it a go, but each to their own. What have been your major issues over the years? Turbos, TC, Trans?

Wicked 0-40 in first gear there, speed!
    If you have headphones on, you can actually hear the engine rev in a non-linear fashion and perhaps some wheel spin/rubber!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Good one Bigglezworth. Truly impressed with the Mileage. Your showing these Cosworth Motors to be Durable if Maintained correctly. If only the Transmissions were that good. Had mine rebuilt and still having major slipping issues. Pain in the Arse.....................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    If you have headphones on, you can actually hear the engine rev in a non-linear fashion and perhaps some wheel spin/rubber!
    For sure, watch it again and pay attn to the speedo, it jumps up to 60 fast, then goes back down to 40 once it gets traction again.

Wow that vid is impressive. I think I may go back and see if the guy will let me take it for an extensive ride and then to my mech for a scan and a look over. You guys give me a list of things to look for so I dont miss anything. Found out the engine wasnt replaced just pulled by the dealer when they did some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    235k miles - gives me hope.
    No isht. The best thing about that video is all of the warning lights. "That one - nothin'. That one nothin'. That one? - nothin' either."

Damn impressive though.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"