Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone also own RS4 or S4?

Anyone also own RS4 or S4?

I figure there must be an Audi nut on here who has owned them all. I am curious about driving and ownership experiences with the RS4 and late model S4 - US specs. How do they stack up to the feel of the RS6?

i have a stage 3 b5 s4. does that count? its a very fun car.
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    And....what's the driving consensus comparatively?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I have driven them.

You see my sig....

Too subjective and owner preferences differ.

Now a B5 RS4 avant....different story. I should have bought that 50k Avus one a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    What turbo's are on it and what kind of power output? How does it stack up to the TT V8? It has to be easier in terms of maintenance and better reliability..? Does it give the same runaway-freight train kind of feeling when you put the hammer down?

I am really curious about people's experiences, specifically, what are they like to drive and own in comparison to the TT V8. I can assume things like "the lighter S4 will handle better," but things are not always as they seem once you get behind the wheel.

My wife is currently driving an A4 2.0T Quattro and we are considering upgrading . I am trying to sell her on a RS6, but her car is a 2007 and she doesn't like the idea of an older Audi.

Owned an rs4 (b7 obv) before my RS6 actually. Miss the manual, great tight package, better cockpit feel than RS6, lacked RS6 punch, Getrag 6 is best I've ever driven, way better than b8 s4's manual, which I have driven, fun to drive RS4 in higher RPM range, my RS4 was great after I got a tune and would run it with race gas on the 100 octane program - would pull like a mule on the hwy.

Oh but funny thing about cost to own vis-a-vis wives. My wife would let me buy an RS4 today right now but would need significant coaxing to buy an RS6. She liked RS6 space better and would be more willing to drive an automatic but the RS4 left a better impression.

Quote Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
    What turbo's are on it and what kind of power output? How does it stack up to the TT V8? It has to be easier in terms of maintenance and better reliability..? Does it give the same runaway-freight train kind of feeling when you put the hammer down?

I am really curious about people's experiences, specifically, what are they like to drive and own in comparison to the TT V8. I can assume things like "the lighter S4 will handle better," but things are not always as they seem once you get behind the wheel.

My wife is currently driving an A4 2.0T Quattro and we are considering upgrading . I am trying to sell her on a RS6, but her car is a 2007 and she doesn't like the idea of an older Audi.
    I almost purchased a B5 S4 Avant but it wasn't quite the same experience as the RS6.
    The bells/whistles on any non-RS model wasn't I was looking for, it was the V8 TT AWD.
    When approaching triple digits, the bells and whistles are NOT what I was looking at...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yeah I figured only the RS4 or newest S4 would approach the feel of the RS6 in terms of power train. I would settle for a little less given than they come in a 6 speed, but there are reports of carbon build-up issues on RS4's and associated high maintenance costs. Dmb408 says it all when he tells me that it "lacked RS6 punch."

Anyone own the supercharged V6 S4? They sure look the part and are available with a sport diff and 6 speed. The only person I know who test drove one at a dealership said it was boring to drive, but he is strictly Porsche and thinks everything else feels numb by comparison.

The RS6 will easily run away, in a straight line from the S4's and RS4's. Can't beat Turbo Torque.

Owned a warmed over B6S4 MT6 Avant I bought with 12K on it. Excellent driving dynamics even as the factory built it. Only issue was a failed coil pack. My RS6 would have to work hard keeping up in the tight to mid speed back roads curves. You have to "work" the RS6. The width just makes it's presence known, and slows things down. I have driven back roads with a B7S4 Avant, another RS6 (hey lswing) and a Porsche Boxster S. It was work keeping up in the tight stuff. Back then I had crappy pads, wannabe sport tires (S04's), and shot wheel bearings. All that's been attended to. Should be much better to drive fast, and less stressful.

For a daily driver the 6 is a great car. Fast, comfy, decent MPG. Decent dyanmics (with a suspension upgrade) and decent non-variable rate steering with good weighting (but still prefer more). The RS6 is for me obviously an older car with some early driver features (smart trans, stability control a bit too protective).

Drove an RS4 a bit and really liked the solid feel, size, decent power and great sound. Car was monumentally slower getting up to speed (lack of extreme torque), but if driven aggressively does all right. Downsides was the terrible seats-- far too high even at the lowest setting (google it). Dreadful MPG if driven sporty. Love to own one, however....supercharged.

Also played in a S5 V8 MT6 a bit and like that. But it felt too light in the feedback (shifting, brakes), but love the FSI engine. Heavy mid range torque surge like the RS6, but then quickly fizzles, and 7300RPM isn't enough, at all. Needs Supercharging.....

B5 S4's can be quick. Driving dynamics in the B5 are just not there (for me). Over-assisted steering, total lack of road feedback. Driven many of them.

Every time I get behind the wheel of a B6/B7 S4 I really like it. It's a drivers car with a few changes-- ain't fast in a straight line, but nice overall experience (the auto's can get 25MPG). BTW- we also have a B7 A4 QM Avant.

My Objective Subjective Input.... which will include an R8 V8 here shortly.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Like this thread... esp bc might / maybe/ prob. abt. to buy friends B5 S4 he's owned since new and cared for well.. all maintenance current blv it or not. Its just my personal sweet spot = same way I ended up w my RS6 = letting a car from a person I know and trust find me than other way around.

And he is willing to let it go cheap to me. Silver black. And I have a 16.5 yr. old kid I think its a good first car.... she is responsible and thoughtful. And IMO having some juice behind your pedal can save you and actually make you safer in many situations than driving an anemic gimp.

And even tho the current mfg.er trend is hi efficiency turbos, that b5 s4 was nothing of the sort (nor is period RS6) and is destine to be an icon and most of them have been slammed and trashed and destroyed by the gen X or Y or whatever set. I think I gotta get it. He'll sell it to me for like $3.5k and its clean clean garage kept maint. out the wazoo.... I think it has belt and chain?? all done + idlers / water pump etc. within past 10k mi.s. Total mi.s are abt. 85k I think.

Uhhhh Cbeau if you don't want that car, I will GLADLY come pick it up! Second dibs..?

G2 you are just the Audi nut i was hoping to find! Is your B7 A4 the 2.0T? Is it modified at all? We wanted an Avant when we bought the A4, but settled for a sedan in better condition. It is a great car, but honestly it is difficult for me to drive in terms of how gutless it is under acceleration. For my wife commuting in the snow... it works. But occasionally, at least, I will be driving this car, and I do not want to drive a stock-powered A4. Rather than modify it, I was thinking of upgrading.

I am convinced all of the Audi's are great cars, if you buy the model with the right power train. I may try and get a test drive in a newish S4, then decide whether I should push her toward an RS6 or the newer car.

I have a very well cared for and healthy B5 S4, stg2, stock turbos. And I'd choose the S4 over the RS any day for canyon craving. The S4 is smaller, lighter, and much more nimble in every way. The RS6 will hand my S4 its ass in a straight line, after all it has about 150 more hp, but I still choose to drive my S4 for fun drives. And it doesn't help the RS6s case that it is a crappy auto, and my S4 is a 6spd. I love my RS6 for highway cruising and hauling my family around, but in my opinion, I enjoy my S4 more.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

And btw, everytime I get behind the wneel of a new 3.0T S4, S5, even SQ5, I just cant believe how much fun those motors are. Such a powerful and linear torque curve. Same goes for the new 4.0TTs in the S6, S7, and S8's. Audi has really hit the ball out of the park with those two motors.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I worked at an Audi dealer for about a year in 2012; during that time, I had a 2012 S4 Premium Plus (6MT with navigation, sports diff, bang and olufsen stereo, parking sensors) on employee lease for 6 months and 12,000 miles. The B8 S4 was a great car and I very well might get another one to replace the RS6. It's not as fast and lacks the V8 engine note, but it's extremely responsive thanks to the roots-style blower, much more fuel efficient (I saw 22mpg average vs. 15mpg in the RS), and sounds good for a V6. It also has all the modern tech; MMI navigation, Bluetooth, HD radio, keyless access, backup camera, etc. It's about the same size inside, too. Tune and exhaust get it to 410hp, though the car is underrated at 333bhp; they dyno at 300whp bone stock!

Also, she's no lightweight by any stretch of the truth, but the B8 S4 definitely felt lighter on its feet compared to the RS6; I think there's roughly a 300lb weight difference.

le sigh, I miss her:

Last edited by Turbowned; November 30th, 2014 at 20:51.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

G2 you are just the Audi nut i was hoping to find! Is your B7 A4 the 2.0T? Is it modified at all? We wanted an Avant when we bought the A4, but settled for a sedan in better condition. It is a great car, but honestly it is difficult for me to drive in terms of how gutless it is under acceleration. For my wife commuting in the snow... it works. But occasionally, at least, I will be driving this car, and I do not want to drive a stock-powered A4. Rather than modify it, I was thinking of upgrading.

I am convinced all of the Audi's are great cars, if you buy the model with the right power train. I may try and get a test drive in a newish S4, then decide whether I should push her toward an RS6 or the newer car.
    Hey. The A4 is the 2.0T. It has a full Stasis exhaust and drilled rotors. Pretty sure it's not chipped, but moves okay. The 6MT helps but gearing is very tall. Very. Good MPG and cruises 80MPH at lazy V8 revs. I personally wanted the Auto trans, and think it's a better match for the wee 2.0T. Sometimes I wish for a chip for that almost 300lbft TQ.

Be sure to check the air box for a plugged pre-filter screen. Typical issue. I remove them and just keep the filter clean. I put in a KN, and modifiied the air box-- removed the sound damper and air horn to MAF.

My wife loves the RS6, but doesn't like driving it in town or parking it. People also drives aggressively around her, trying to invoke a race or road rage. She's a great driver and is even more OCD than I am about avoiding door dings, etc. But the power still scares her and the car potential is barely utilized. An RS6 makes for a very expensive daily driver....most woman will normally like the newer car, but that's another ball of wax.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I have both and stage 3 b5 s4 and RS6 stage 2 sitting in the garage right now. both manual transmission. They drive completely different. I would say the s4 is easier to drive and handles better. They both give me the same satisfaction on acceleration. I love the space of the RS6 Avant. I depends really what im up to that day. I drive the S4 more often as it just feels easier to get around. Its got the hybrid RS4 K04 turbos doesn't accelerate that much slower then the RS6. It is missing that V8 kick in your butt instant torque the v8 TT has and the sound is completely different. I would say the maintenance is easier to perform on the S4 much simpler package. I haven't had the RS long enough to comment on the long term reliability but it certainly eats up way more gas.
    Compared to other RS cars and NA V8s. They pure strait line torque onset of a Turbo vehicle cant be matched. Ive driven a new RS5 and much prefer the RS6, especially with a manual there is nothing missing(maybe DSG). Now I do really like the b7 RS4, however i not consider it without a supercharger. Its much slower then a proper B5 S4 and a RS6. I will agree the transmission is great though. I wish they DSG could be a player but that kinda stuff if just for daily drivers. My b5 S4 is a great daily. It has 187K and going strong and I still love driving it everyday. The RS6 has 63K and going strong and seem to enough it more for a family outing or a weekend jaunt.

Bottom line. The RS6 is a more costly car to own then most. To me the older B5 and C5 have a much more solid quality feel then the newer Audi's. I would never consider one a downgrade. The RS6 handles plenty well to keep up with a pack of other Audi s and rs cars on the mountain twisties. It just takes a little more work...
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

i didn't drive any of the old school B5 S or RS, have only driven the B6/B8 S4 manual, S5 V8 manual, B8 RS4 and C7 S6. Pointless to say that i was most impressed with the S6 and the most disappointing was the RS4, probably because i was expecting too much from it, but when you have an M3 as a competition which comes with a turbo engine you must have high expectations from an RS4, sadly it is rather a disappointment and apart from being offered as an Avant i don't see any other advantage over the new M3.

It felt slow, great sound and gearbox and the Sport differential also makes a huge difference, but that can't make up for lack of toque nor for not having that special feel inside, looks beefy from outside but the interior is too dull and outdated i'd say. Yeah, the C5 is outdated as well, but that car is special so it doesn't really matter .

Would rather get the B8 S4 which is much more fun and the 3.0T is a master piece and has a lot of potential to be unleashed, the one i drove was a stage 2 rated at close to 420hp, very linear power delivery, speed was so deceiving, at 100mph you'd say you're only doing 60mph, really felt and probably was faster than my C5.

S6 was a great experience, definitely one of the best cars Audi made and one of the best engines out there and coupled with the S-tronic and Quattro is brilliant, a bit dull on the outside, steering is missing a lively feedback, though it is better and much more connected than what we have on the C5.

S5 V8 and B6 S4, both manual, really engaging cars, very alive, especially the S5, i liked the steering and the gearbox, but to me the B6 felt more planted while the S5 felt too light.

If i had to choose one, of course it would be the C7 RS6, but i would be very happy with either an S6 or an B8 S4.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast