Thread: Intermittent rough idle/vibration

Hybrid View

Long long shots here. One might be the harmonic balancer. The whole drive train is designed around an auto, sub the manual and you have different harmonics.

I get this slightly rough idle very occasionally with no codes. Very minor though and always in neutral but not under load, as in gear in the auto. So many things inc the responsiveness of the DBW system to additional loads like AC and lights etc.

The RPM range replicates a range in my RS4 before the exhaust note changes and it comes on gangbusters. I get similar in the RS6 exhaust and with non factory mounts, maybe that's enough to make it noticeable.
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Long long shots here. One might be the harmonic balancer. The whole drive train is designed around an auto, sub the manual and you have different harmonics.

I get this slightly rough idle very occasionally with no codes. Very minor though and always in neutral but not under load, as in gear in the auto. So many things inc the responsiveness of the DBW system to additional loads like AC and lights etc.

The RPM range replicates a range in my RS4 before the exhaust note changes and it comes on gangbusters. I get similar in the RS6 exhaust and with non factory mounts, maybe that's enough to make it noticeable.
    Thanks for your thoughts here...I figured if it were a balance issue, that it would be either the harmonic balancer or possibly flywheel/clutch package. I may look into a balancer, I did a fluidyne on another car that I had which did seem to work well, not sure if they are available for the RS6 or not, but worth a check.

And Nubcake, I sent you some logs...feel free to tell me that I'm nuts...car does run strong and is a blast to drive!