Thread: OMG, another 6MT conversion thread.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodkiwi View Post
    Got the passenger side manifold off! But crikey, what an ordeal.

Ground down an already-thin-wall socket, to fit into the recess, thinking that it was 12 outer hex in there.

Only to find that it is not a 12mm outer hex. It's 13mm. No way is a 13mm socket getting in there (it would have to be ground so much that the integrity of the socket would break at the slightest bit of torque).

So what's a lad to do? A 7mm hex just turns freely in the inner hex.

So, I took an 8mm hex, ground off the end-bevels (to give it a more aggressive bite). ever-so-slightly ground off .5mm off each flat side of the shank and hammered it in.

And, got the little bugger out.

So with the manifold off, I could then get to repositioning the turbo oil line so that it would not interfere with the starter.

Q: The image below shows how I have bent the bracket 90 degrees moving the oil line position from where it had been (shown by yellow circle) to its new position (red circle). By doing so, I have moved it very close to the manifold - it's hard to see, but there is about a 1 to 2mm gap between the line and the manifold. Could this become an issue? (I'm worried about heat exchange from the manifold). Before moving/bending the oil line it was running with about 5mm clearance.

And then as it comes around the front, it is just kisses the manifold (whereas, before bending, it had about 3mm clearance).

I do like getting it well away from the starter solenoid - but I am a little worried about heat induction from the manifold into the oil line (although, to what extent that it be greater than what it was before - I don't know). Or, am I just overthinking all of this?
    I've often thought of this but have not way of proving whether the conduction causes any appreciable difference in temperature to harm anything. It's the supply line so in essence it's elevating the temp of the oil prior to it hitting the turbos.

One thing that you need to be super mindful of is not to ground out the starter voltage to this supply line. I know if 2 people that did this and the result could be very bad when it's arcs a hole in the supply line and oil spills over everything.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    One thing that you need to be super mindful of is not to ground out the starter voltage to this supply line. I know if 2 people that did this and the result could be very bad when it's arcs a hole in the supply line and oil spills over everything.
    Yes. I'm very mindful of that. I think I may have read something you wrote (either on this forum or another) alluding to the potential for short. In this configuration above, there appears plenty of room for the live starter feed to coexist as the oil line has been elevated up and well out of the way. The downside being that it is now much closer to the manifold. @nubcake's comment re: the manifold having an outer jacket gives me some comfort.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL