Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Test/Fix intercooler leaks w/bumper removal procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppinit View Post
    That's quite an impressive difference. It would be interesting to see what the results are like on a standard car though. There must be many RS6 owners who want to replace their OEM intercoolers with something better built but not necessarily bigger.

With bigger intercoolers, I'd be worried about increasing lag on the standard map.
    The Lag is not Incrasing with these Coolers. On a Standard Car, the Difference is not that big, because the Car runns on very low Boost.

I like pretty graphs and all but

I dont like graphs that look too pretty.

I would like to see the raw data that led to the graph below. Not saying it couldnt happen this way but :eye:

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo911 View Post

This should be a sticky. Too useful a thread to disappear into the archives.

I'm seriously thinking about doing these and have to agree with Hall. I would love to know how these graphs came to be? I find it curious that on Wagner's website it shows in English the temperature difference. Everything else is in German. That seems a little bit odd to me. :eye: Could we get some more information please?

Ok, so, if the Graph is looking to Pretty it cant be real?! Is this what you are trying to say?

Its stated on the Picture, how the Graph came to be...
    Audi RS6 520HP, ambient temp. was 27° Celsius

The Graph is not made by Wagner Tuning, its made by a Company from Switzerland.

You can contact them direct and ask... http://www.rs-werkstatt.ch

No, that's not what I'm saying. You can put a bow on it to make it look even prettier if you want. Before you get too defensive about your product let me explain what I am trying to get at.
    There is no information that I can find talking about intake temp vs exit temp, other than the one that said 75 degrees. Now here's what I would like to know, is that at idle, cruising speed, WOT? Was it the same temp, or were the stock ones tested when it was 100 degrees in the middle of the afternoon and yours tested when it was 65 degrees at 4 in the morning?
    We just want more information and would like to know how it is being achieved. If a 75 degree temp difference is all you are getting, and you are removing the fog lights it seems like a minimal gain considering you are getting almost twice the air hitting them with the lights out.
    Anybody should be a little skeptical of just throwing $2,000 into the wind, plus labor to install these. Also, the only part I have read that says they are Aluminum say that they are aluminum end tanks, but doesn't say what the core is. I am assuming it is also aluminum, but since it doesn't say it is I don't know.
    I have to buy new intercoolers soon as I just found out Friday that I have a very small leak in both of mine. I also found out that Audi of America is a really shitty company. I am not about to spend $2,000 for another set of intercoolers that for all I know right now won't last 3 years. So please don't get defensive when people are asking questions. When you do that it makes people think that you are hiding something.
    I appreciate that you gave me the name of the company in Switzerland and I may try to contact them today. I've already spoken with 330 or whatever the name of the company in California is and they are ready to have them drop-shipped. I just want a little bit more clarification before I go with these. Hope this clear some things up. Thanks!

hi audirs4ever...

it will be better for you if you drive oem...
    mfg
    Daniel

RS6plus -- blue pack -- h&r suspension -- 20" rs6 c6 wheels -- fully loaded and wagner cooled !

Daniel,

Thank you for the response. I will probably do that. I do apologize if I came off half-cocked in the post you replied to. I really didn't mean any offense to Lupo. I just would like some more information. I'm actually pretty pissed at Audi right now, and I think that may have leaked into the post I made.
    I have owned several BMW's and they have always taken care of me if something went wrong that was a known problem area, even if the car was out of warranty. When I took the RS6 in to find out why I had my first boost cut in a long time and they called me and told me I need new intercoolers, because they were both leaking I got pretty upset. I told them I didn't understand how a 22,000 mile car that is perfectly maintained already needed intercoolers.
    I started reading the threads here and quickly realized that the stock coolers are pretty much junk. I did ask Audi if they would consider "Goodwill" like BMW does and they gave me a flat-out, "NO." I thought that was pretty crappy and let them know that usually I wouldn't mind paying for them, but I was just about to order KW's to fix the other problem they caused (The RS6-Allroad problem) and now I will be ordering either stock coolers, or the Wagner's.
    Sorry for venting this, but I just can't believe Audi took that approach. Guess I should have listened to DHall and got the warranty. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. Again, sorry if I came across half-cocked last night with the post. I was just pretty pissed off at the world and probably got a little too agressive. My biggest concern with either intercooler is that I'm not replacing them 2 or 3 years later again. Thanks Daniel.

The Audi intercoolers can leak from new.

I will attempt right (pass) side IC replacement - does the headlight really need to be removed to have full access for replacement of IC and hoses?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    I will attempt right (pass) side IC replacement - does the headlight really need to be removed to have full access for replacement of IC and hoses?
    I guess you could always remove the fender instead. For the IC the light will have to come out. The hoses could be done with it in but since it will be out it will be easier to do at that time. Make sure that the clamps go back the same or they may be in the way of installing the headlight.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

I call BS on the attached graph.

If proven to be wrong. I will buy chicken dinners and eat my left shoe.

..You can contact them direct and ask... http://www.rs-werkstatt.ch
    Website under construction........ fail...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

2003 RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Taking your earlier advice - just replacing with OEM.
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

@Audi-RS6 what were your symptoms when you have the IC leak? Do you have a boost gauge? I assume the car still felt fast, but just lacked the real punch of what it should be doing. Any idea how much boost you were building with the IC leak?

Thanks,
    Chris
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

As soon as I find a spot where I can take the car from 50 mph at roughly 2400 RPM to 155 MPH at roughly 6400 RPM in fourth gear maybe I can test this. Dave care to log the stock ones for reference? For now I don't have any place I could do this as a test.

Reference for top speed fourth gear: http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...34fbc2ea2d.pdf
    and using this calculator http://www.venommotorsports.com/libr...calculator.asp stock tire sizes.
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

A big "thank you" to 'Audi RS6' .. and the other valuable contributors to this forum; I am not a grease monkey by any stretch, but I did manage to change the passenger intercooler thanks to the great write-up on this thread. I had a few issues, and at one point feared that I'd have to flat-bed the beast to the local dealer, but I stayed the course and managed to put everything back. well, almost everything .. some of the plastic cowling behind the small radiator shredded, but for the most part I think all is well. Will give it a test drive later today.

PS - I found a piece of plastic laying on the bottom of the belly pan - couldn't find a logical source for whence it came .. will try to post a picture of it later
    Last edited by LIRS6; May 31st, 2010 at 20:26.
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa