Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RS5 front bumper revealed

I'm not sure the RS5 will have that much power, and why.
    The M3 have 420 hp and weigh something like 1600 Kg, rumour say the next M3 will have a tuned 335i inline 6 engine.
    If Audi want a BMW M3 killer that handle's, reducing weight is the way to go, not adding more power.
    If Audi put in the 3.0TFSI V6 Supercharged engine with a bigger supercharger (or Bi-turbo's on top in the V of the engine) with 400+ hp and keep the weight close to 1500 Kg that would be a M3 killer.
    Nissan is showing with the GT-R that a V6 engine is enough.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

I fully agree with you Jarod. The future is no longer on the power but the power to weight ratio wich some modern cars seem to be leaving aside.
    As for the engine, would be nice to see a 3L V6 with TT like the good old B5 RS 4, but jumped up to some 420hp.

Cheers all.

I agree on weight saving but I dont feel confident about Audi actually implimenting the idea into the next RS4 and RS5 to as much of an extent as I would like. Time will tell though...
    HKS786

no V6 for RS5 - it's just funny...
    C63 and M3 are V8, Audi have to be in the same league...
    Next versions of all those cars could be V6 TT, but for now - not.

I agree with thoughts of Leadfoot and that's why I hope for the derived RS6 engine, which is quite economic and C02 suitable:-)

I don't care what engine they put in, i prefer the R5 2.5TFSI any way.
    The light weight TT-R will wipe the floor with the upcoming super heavy weight RS5.
    The TT-R will be the second fastes Audi behind the R8 V10.

Jarod.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    I don't care what engine they put in, i prefer the R5 2.5TFSI any way.
    The light weight TT-R will wipe the floor with the upcoming super heavy weight RS5.
    The TT-R will be the second fastes Audi behind the R8 V10.

Jarod.
    +1, though I would be happy for it to be between the RS4 and the R8v8. Anything better than that would be wishful thinking.

Re: RS5
    I personally would love the RS5 to have a smaller, light and powerful that could not only benefit the weight balance between the axles but also reduce the overall weight but the reality is for Audi to chose a more simple approach in a bigger engine will a bit more power. To expect Audi to lose 150kgs from the weight of the S5 would require major usage of very expense materials like CF and that would push the RS5 price well above the M3.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I got a relaibel source that confirmed audi decide that they would go with 4.2 V8 NA at 450hp..... derived from RS4 B7 engine....

pretty shitty news infact as this will mean no revolution.

they had a mule running with a V10, but accoridng to my source its been abandonned becasue its too expansive.......

gosh I hope its wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Re: RS5
    I personally would love the RS5 to have a smaller, light and powerful that could not only benefit the weight balance between the axles but also reduce the overall weight but the reality is for Audi to chose a more simple approach in a bigger engine will a bit more power. To expect Audi to lose 150kgs from the weight of the S5 would require major usage of very expense materials like CF and that would push the RS5 price well above the M3.
    150 Kg less then the S5 mean a RS5 that weigh 1480 Kg, no way we will see that with a V8.

Jarod.

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    no V6 for RS5 - it's just funny...
    C63 and M3 are V8, Audi have to be in the same league...
    Next versions of all those cars could be V6 TT, but for now - not.

I agree with thoughts of Leadfoot and that's why I hope for the derived RS6 engine, which is quite economic and C02 suitable:-)
    You said that maybe the next Versions could be V6TT but not now...
    How should that work? All of them have V8s ... so somebody has to be the first who is going to use the V6 ... why shouldn't it be AUDI?

I also don't think that it will be a V6 .. but everything is possible

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    You said that maybe the next Versions could be V6TT but not now...
    How should that work? All of them have V8s ... so somebody has to be the first who is going to use the V6 ... why shouldn't it be AUDI?

I also don't think that it will be a V6 .. but everything is possible
    I agree with your question.
    So if you see - Audi has a chasing role in this contest - M3 and C63 are new generation cars and Audi only in 2009 will have a car to compete in full with them. Old RS4 is one hell of a car but only manual and some other drawbacks.
    And that's why it will be no Audi to start with V6 TT. BMW or Mercedes - more likely.

BTW - Mercedes AMG has announced that their new 6.2 engine is already going to be obsolete as Mercedes is going to concentrate on new 5.0 TT engine with 570-630 hp which will have lower emissions and better fuel mileage as well as torque figures

Nothing is known about next M5/M6 engines but the rumours are that they also will be V8 TT.

So let's wait - and see!

Debatable, if I would agree that Audi have a chasing role in this, to many the RS4 set the trend with it's high revving V8 engine and even though it now superseded the RS4 was good enough to compete with the C63 and M3 on level pegging.

I see the new RS5/4 as trend setter once again, positioning themselves well ahead of the competition who are the ones that are really playing catch up.

Leadfoot,

your opinion is interesing but please think that Audi while playing a chasing role always do the cars which are better then main competitors' ones.
    When I meant a chasing role I thought about cars' lifecycles.

I see where you are coming from. Yeah maybe you are right after all.

Great!!! :-)
    I am absolutely sure about the fact that RS5 will be bettet than its major rivals:-))

The RS5 will be a tour de force but I doubt it will be the driver's car that the TT/R might be (if allowed). The RS5 might be more similar to the GTR in that it will be devilish efficient and we will marvel at this but doubt it will as engaging as some of it's rwd rivals (namely the M3).

My understanding on Torque Vectoring is to quell under and oversteer thus providing a neutral handling bias, not as rewarding as power slides or 4wheel drift but an extremely quick way at covering ground.

Leadfoot,

to be "extremely quick" is also a sort of great fun and very engaging:-)
    Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    Leadfoot,

to be "extremely quick" is also a sort of great fun and very engaging:-)
    Agree?
    It's one of the reasons why I love Quattro, covering ground quicker than almost anything else, especially in the wet is hugely enjoyable.

Hi everyone,

I just came back from my dealer (winter tire time) and they were telling me that they have internal pics of the RS5 in its "almost" final state.

Anyone can confirm and post those pics that they were unable/not allowed to show?!

Thanks,