Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official! Audi RS 3 Sportback

Quote Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
    Couldn't agree more!
    Qisha, could yo tell us 2 things: when can we configure(and order) the car and can you give us an insight on the new Haldex, is it the same as the saab XWD?
    I don't believe this is Haldex XWD, but it does appear to offer complete transferring of power in either direction. According to some of the press it's a system that in normal situations is 50/50 which isn't the same as normal in the A3 and TT which place almost all the power to the front wheels and constantly shuffle power as called for but can never fully shift more than 50% to the rear.

I have yet to hear or see data stating it's got a rear electronic diff which would make it Haldex XWD, so until Qisha can confirm this I don't think it is.

I don't think Qisha is allowed to provide more info at this time. Frustrating for him; frustrating for us. I guess we should be thankful that at least we've now seen the RS3 instead of having to wait until March 2011. It looks as if Audi was worried about potential take-up so decided to release details of it earlier to assess potential sales as well as to maintain interest. I imagine we'll get further titbits of information drip-fed to us until we see it in the metal. How annoying.

I'm sorry Audi, but I still think April is too late. You should have presented this car at Paris and it should be on sale now or January. In fact, I have to say that the entire product planning and launch process has been very lacklustre. Whoever managed the on-off decision to market this model deserves to be sacked. You should have realised you had a hit on your hands when you launched the 5-cylinder 2.5 litre TT-RS. (The only reason this hasn't sold as well as you would have liked is because you were too greedy with the pricing. Fortunately, you realised the error of your ways and generous discounts are now available.) All this 'umming' and 'arhhhing' about whether to make the RS3 seems strange given the success of the Golf R and Ford Focus RS.

I know you adhere to carefully planned new model launches, but you need to be more flexible to adjust timelines when you get things wrong. I urge you to expedite RS3 sales given the age of the platform and its replacement date. Despite the 'go-faster bits', the styling looks prehistoric next to the new A1. With the soon to be released A6 introducing other new styling elements, buyers may be put off the RS3's ancient design. I have to say that I thought you could have added wheel arch blisters. They would also have visually distanced it from the standard A3 and given it greater longevity. look at how the styling of the Lancia Delta Integrale distanced this from the stanard model. Also, wheel arch blisters would allow similar size wheels to be fitted all round. I would happily pay an extra for these features.

I've been talking to a lot of friends about this car. They seem to be evenly split about it. Some think it will be an epic machine with a warp speed continent-covering ability. Others think that it will be as flawed as the S3, which despite its own power hike, didn't garner favourable accolades from the motoring press due to is ride and handling. So, my advice is to get this thing reviewed as soon as possible. Assure us that it will be amazing as want it to be.

BMW is hot on your heels with the deeply underwhelming M1, but equally important, Mercedes-Benz has a new AMG A-Class under development which will be very similar in size to the A3. I remain firmly fixed to my order, but please make sure it arrives on time, on budget and way ahead of expectations.

The RS3 is a couple of years late. I would never consider this car. The design is not good enough and will be replaced less than a year from its launch. What about the Quattro system? If it is Haldex it will be a terrible ride, at least from my point of view. In a straight line it will probably be entertaining, but this is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by S6V10Avant View Post
    The RS3 is a couple of years late. I would never consider this car. The design is not good enough and will be replaced less than a year from its launch. What about the Quattro system? If it is Haldex it will be a terrible ride, at least from my point of view. In a straight line it will probably be entertaining, but this is not enough.
    How does the Haldex system impede ride comfort? Please explain why. The same system on the Golf R results in a car with excellent ride and handling, especially with ACC (Magnetic ride). The styling may be dated, but it was never ugly. In my mind, the grille with mesh inserts look good. Overall, the car looks business-like and discrete in a totally non-Subaru way - which I am sure will appeal to many Audi traditionalists (myself included).

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    How does the Haldex system impede ride comfort? Please explain why. The same system on the Golf R results in a car with excellent ride and handling, especially with ACC (Magnetic ride). The styling may be dated, but it was never ugly. In my mind, the grille with mesh inserts look good. Overall, the car looks business-like and discrete in a totally non-Subaru way - which I am sure will appeal to many Audi traditionalists (myself included).
    I has to say that I too was kind of puzzled by those comments. Maybe we are misunderstanding his meaning of ride as ride quality where he meant driving experience. But even at that both the TTRS and the Golf R are rewarding cars to drive quickly, their Haldex does give a different driving experience from that of the Torsen in the other Audis but the fact that they weigh so much less means they are also lighter on their feet and feel more nimble.

Given the choice I would always chose a TTRS over an RS5 any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Given the choice I would always chose a TTRS over an RS5 any day.
    With the 7-Speed DSG gearbox, I think a lot of people would agree with you. The TTRS is a very under-rated car. As I've said elsewhere, the only real problem with it was it's pricing. Even that has now been fixed, albeit unofficially through discounts, and I understand that it is starting to sell well.

I've heard it said that electrical traction systems are now so good that they rival mechanical ones. The latest Haldex AWD system is so sensitive that it can direct drive to whichever axle has more grip more quickly than Torsen. There is no way that Haldex is better than the latest Torsen system (whatever that is) or is it?

Tailpipe, you are correct, "ride" was more slang than precise wording. I was thinking of driving experience, performance, handling, when driving on and over the (slip) limit. The Haldex system is (in my view) not a proper 4wd system as it is shifting in/out depending on slip. RS models deserves something else.

Quote Originally Posted by S6V10Avant View Post
    Tailpipe, you are correct, "ride" was more slang than precise wording. I was thinking of driving experience, performance, handling, when driving on and over the (slip) limit. The Haldex system is (in my view) not a proper 4wd system as it is shifting in/out depending on slip. RS models deserves something else.
    S6V10Avant,

You are of course, right. Haldex simply isn't as good as the latest AWD system, but it has come a long way since the crude systems of 10 years ago. Occasionally, however, even Torsen can get confused - check out You Tube for some interesting videos of racing Quattros completely losing it during some extreme drifts.

In addition to ordering an RS3, I have also put my name down for an Audi Sports Quattro concept which is to my delight and surprise going to get made. Apparently, it'll sell for the same price as an RS5. This will have a proper Torsen system as well as an updated 5-cylinder engine.

In the meantime, I have been amazed at how the Golf R can hack across a twisty mountain road. It can do everything the old RS4 could do, not quite as quickly, but close enough to be directly comparable. This bodes well for the RS3.

Good choice Tailpipe, I am also down for the Sport Quattro.

I have a question which is slightly irrelevant for this topic but maybe interresting for my potential RS3 order: if one takes the 'exclusive lackierung' option (+- 2500 euro) can you get 'any possible colour'? (For example macadamia from Porsche) or do you have to pay even more for that...

I believe that there are two types of customer paint choices available. One is the exclusive paint option, which costs £1,700 and lets you choose any colour within the Audi pallette; the other is the custom paint option which allows you to choose any colour you like and costs £2,450.

I like the red and black, but would prefer a deep, dark blue to be offered. I don't think the custom paint option is worth it, but if you gotta have it....

now that the 1 M Coupé is launched (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...o-3251381.html) we can start comparing these 2 competitors:

RS3 / 1M Coupé
    both 340 hp but the 2.5 TFSI has a lot more tuning potential (the 35 engine is supposed to be very 'difficult' to tune, I heard)
    0-100 km/h: 4,6 / 4,9
    DSG / manual
    1575 kg / 1495 kg
    4WD / RWD
    49.900 euro / 50.500

i guess the real way to compare the 2 will be the lap-time @ the Nurburgring, anyone who knows more?
    Last edited by rs-6; December 10th, 2010 at 10:15.

My perfect -real life- garage has these two cars.

javi- mis padres llegan a santiago hoy
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
    both 340 hp but the 2.5 TFSI has a lot more tuning potential (the 35 engine is supposed to be very 'difficult' to tune, I heard)
    If I heard well, you heard wrong, very wrong

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    If I heard well, you heard wrong, very wrong
    At least about chiptuning 2 chiptuners seperatly said to 'stay off' the z4 35is, so I based my comment on them...

The RS3's AWD set-up gives it an extra 80 kg versus the M1. I wonder how that will play out on the track?

Somehow, the RS3 seems to be more measured, more considered, more capable and more desirable than the M1. I hope it eats it for breakfast when they're tested together. For sure, it's one grudge match I'm looking forward to.

Where the hell is Qisha? Input please.

Scott26 a BMW insider from bimmerpost.com wrote that the 1 M coupe will leave the TT RS to dead performance wise. also on track. i hope thats not true and just fanboy talk.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~