Thread: Help Me w/Maintenance Budgeting

Hybrid View

Mech Follow Up

I've seen this thread mentioned a couple times when new-b's have asked what problems RS's have. So, I wanted to post a follow up to what I tried to accomplish with this thread.

My original goal was to think of every wear & tear item on the car (stuff not covered by extended warranties) and then divide the cost of replacement by the expected life in miles. When unknown or driver dependent, I tried to error on the side of caution. Here's the spreadsheet I created (in US$):
    JOBParts+LaborMileageCost/mi
    Tires$1,350 250000.0540
    Front Brake Pads$500 150000.0333
    Front Rotors$900 300000.0300
    Rear Brake Pads$500 300000.0167
    Rear Rotors$900 600000.0150
    Oil Change$250 100000.0250
    Timing Belt -35k service$2,500 350000.0714
    Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor??35000-
    Transmission Service??35000-
    $0.2454/mi.

So it makes me laugh when guys on this forum complain or compare notes on the price of gas and the MPG. Gas would have to increase another 50% from where it is now to even equal the cost of maintenance! Plus, repair and insurance are in addition.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from owning one. They'd probably face the same costs if buying a 911 Turbo or equivalent car in terms of performance. I just wanted to inform myself and others so they don't get disillusioned.

Please though, help to provide feedback on my spreadsheet. Am I very far off anywhere? Or, are there potential cost savings that I am not aware of? Thanks!

If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Great thread. Subscribing. I was curious about the oil being so expensive. Will mobil1 suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by wm_sorg View Post
    Great thread. Subscribing. I was curious about the oil being so expensive. Will mobil1 suffice?
    use factory or better - diesel oil specs are there for some reason ...
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZEN View Post
    So it makes me laugh when guys on this forum complain or compare notes on the price of gas and the MPG. Gas would have to increase another 50% from where it is now to even equal the cost of maintenance! Plus, repair and insurance are in addition.

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from owning one. They'd probably face the same costs if buying a 911 Turbo or equivalent car in terms of performance. I just wanted to inform myself and others so they don't get disillusioned.

Please though, help to provide feedback on my spreadsheet. Am I very far off anywhere? Or, are there potential cost savings that I am not aware of? Thanks!

should get tranny flushed and oil replaced ever time you do timing belt - this will cost few 100's of $, no cap/rotor, just plug replacement ....

insurance cost in EU are higher (or should I say significantly higher?) that US ...
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Great post..

Clearly what separates a man from a boy is the price of there toys..

I would agree Blitzen is dead on for prices in the US at a dealer..

I would prefer to change my oil every 5K.. Spec for RS6 is Castrol 50501 at about 20 per quart.. I've used it use it in my 04 B6 S4..

crispix..