Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Piles of parts coming...damn, this car has a ton of o-rings, seals, and one time use bolts....

This might be out there already, but would you want to create a list for everything you replaced in this procedure? Part numbers, what failed, what was preventative, this would be great information for all of us. Possibly as a wrap up post when you complete this.. Then when I start the same thing come help me...

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Piles of parts coming...damn, this car has a ton of o-rings, seals, and one time use bolts....

2003 Avus RS6 | 10SECS4 Tune | GIAC TCU | Apikol Intake | Apikol Intercoolers | Miltek & Catless | KW V3 | Hotckis Sway bars | 034 Control arms & end links | Euro RS6 Recaro seats | RS6+ pedals

Quote Originally Posted by kevcp View Post
    This might be out there already, but would you want to create a list for everything you replaced in this procedure? Part numbers, what failed, what was preventative, this would be great information for all of us. Possibly as a wrap up post when you complete this.. Then when I start the same thing come help me...
    Thanks for the suggestion...I need to go through all of the parts bags today to make a list and cross check all of my o-rings, gaskets, crush washers, etc. to be sure that I have everything that I need...nothing worse than getting to a spot where missing a simple o-ring or the like can hold up a project. As we all know, there is never one source for every part that you'll need. I did find one issue while sorting through parts...the Iwis timing chains that I bought from ECS are the wrong part...it is listed properly on the box and cross checks with all other sites, but the sticker put on there (most likely by ECS) is covering the Iwis manufacturer's number. Again, cross checking from multiple sites since I could see through the label, it looks like they miss-labeled the wrong part with their sticker mistakenly showing as the correct number. Fortunately, these are easy to get, so I got another pair of off Europa with some other needed parts that should be here today and can return the others to ECS hassle free.

As far as working with yours...I'd be more than happy to help with it! I have a pretty solid tool collection from years of working on stuff at home and being fortunate to inherit a solid tool set from my dad when he retired...He owned a Shell gas/service station with 3 bays for 36 years...I started working for him when I was 12 and all the way through college. He had 2 brothers that worked for him as his primary ASE certified mechanics for just about all of this time...definitely all 3 were mentors to get me to my knowledge level today. I'm always happy to share my knowledge, time, and tools with anyone that is willing to put in the effort themselves as well. Both of my boys 24 & 26 now, are now very capable mechanics as we always worked on projects together and I'm very proud of them! I have another young man that is the son of one of my managers at work, I've know him his whole life and is now 17 and wanting to work on his own car that he bought himself...I had him doing the brakes, exhaust, tune up, oil change, etc. to get it through inspection and road worthy and now helping him work through a rough idle issue. He just got his license yesterday and so excited to be able to drive a car that he purchased with his own savings and is able to work on with a little guidance...unfortunately his father is a decent mechanic, but estranged from his family as the kids have made the choice to have nothing to do with him. I'm happy that even though he's a shy kid that he now feels comfortable reaching out to me for help...

I'm taking my project slow and steady as I don't generally have chunks of time right now and just wanting to be sure that I do everything correctly...this project would be far easier the second time around for sure. Also, you're more than welcome to take a short road trip up my way to Annapolis to check out the project as it sits...for me, I like to visualize what may be causing an issue but like to have it in my hands before just ordering a pile of parts that I may not need. As we know, parts for these cars are not cheap and you really need to be careful on what you can source aftermarket or if OEM is the best choice, no matter what the cost difference is. This would be a prime time to see mine as dis-assembled as it will get this time around if you want to see it as it sits.

One other mini-fail that I found on parts...It's hard to get an answer on the cam tensioner shoes on which ones to buy as there is no OEM replacement without buying the entire adjuster. I ordered 2 sets from RKX...parts shipped fast and looked perfect, but when I went to snap them on to the adjuster, it turns out that they are slightly rounded in the molding where there should be a sharp shoulder to snap it on to the base...I couldn't get it to lock on solidly and then noticed this issue. I ordered another set off of e-bay after scouring for photos of the underside and a close up of this area and found some that looked correct...they were perfect and snapped on solidly as they should. Fortunately these are cheap parts, but you get my point on what you really need to watch out for. While searching, I saw on 1A Auto's site in a review that they suggest "gluing" these on since their molding leaves it loose when you install it...sorry, but I'm not gluing anything on which wasn't done so as originally installed!

Here's a link to the "good ones" from Osias....https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Camshaf...72.m2749.l2649

Hopefully moving forward this weekend with putting parts back on as I'm running out of space with everything that I've removed! I'll definitely plan on re-capping this info in the end as you suggest to hopefully help make this process a little easier for someone else in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kevcp View Post
    If Muggy wants to put a list together, I'll add it to the maintenance section on my website. Cheers
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    If Muggy wants to put a list together, I'll add it to the maintenance section on my website. Cheers
    Sounds good! Gives me even more motivation to compile the list...

I did pull my oil cooler off to change out the "bufkin" pipe...found the original plastic one in perfect condition, but figured I'd change it out for the aluminum version. Unfortunately, Mr. Bufkin is no longer selling these, so I opted for a nice looking copy....no fly...waaay too tight of a fit... ordered another OEM plastic one with new gaskets to replace what was in there.

Got side tracked yesterday, so I didn't have much of a chance to work on the car except for pulling the oil cooler off as above. Found a house for my son on Saturday night (just listed same day), we toured at 11:00 on Sunday, offer in by 5:00, was the top contract out of 4 that came in within 24 hours, seller accepted ours!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Eagerly awaiting your “been there” stuff-to-do-while-my-engine-is-out list... probable failing driver’s side turbo (way low MAF 2 airflow, credit to @nubcake for his work helping me log!) will likely result in an in-shop engine pull around September... my (past) preferred shop won’t work on it anymore, says Audi officially cut parts support at the end of 2020. And they won’t work unless they can order the OE-specified part. (Sounds more like a dealer than an indy shop!)