Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Muggy, might consider changing out the plastic Slave cylinder for the metal one. The plastic aren't real bad but the B5 S4 guys say they do fail at a higher rate than metal ones.
    Appreciate the tip...the metal slave and line is in that plastic bag by the bell housing that you can't see through....

AudiPilot, that's a real bummer...I saw your post about that. Before my son and I picked up the RS6, we tinkered extensively with a C5 2.7t 6 speed, so I had some idea of what I was getting into with the RS6 and assumed that an engine pull would be in the future. My slow progress is a combination of lack of time due to a harder work schedule and parts availability & shipping delays...thanks COVID! I agree that nubcake has been a great resource for tuning and diagnostics...at least you have a target in sight for what needs to be dealt with.

I now have a few boxes full of little baggies with o-rings, crush washers, bolts, etc. that I need to re-cross check so I know where they all go again. For me, I had 3 major "while you are in there" projects, but a smoking turbo forced my hand to stop driving...oil was dripping inside and outside of the turbo causing smoke up through the cowl and out of the pipes. Other issues were the rear main seal that was dripping and an obnoxious tap from the valve train. Hopefully all fixed...the somewhat unexpected addition was the 6 speed swap...the more I thought about it (always on the wish list!), the more it made sense since I felt that some sort of trans service was warranted. Figured that the same $$ was better spent on the swap since it's at my house in my space...not being charged by the hour to work on or by the day to store....

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    AudiPilot, that's a real bummer...I saw your post about that.
    Thanks, part of ownership at some point or another! I’ll definitely address anything that pops up with the engine out. If I shine a flashlight down the driver’s side to catch a glimpse of the belly pan it is quite reflective, so I’m pretty sure there are fluids coming from other places… hopefully can get everything remedied!