Thread: Headlight issue

Hybrid View

Bulb or ballast? Where are the ballasts located on our cars?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Where are the ballasts located on our cars?
    Mounted with a metal strap and single screw under each headlight assembly.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Mounted with a metal strap and single screw under each headlight assembly.
    Has anyone had any luck or special tricks to getting the headlights out without having to remove the bumper. I know from other posts that people have mentioned being able to do it, but I usually end up just taken the bumper off, especially given the bottom screw is difficult to get to when reinstalling it. It seems that it is the ballast that gets caught up on the frame when trying to squeeze it out with the bumper on.

x2 on getting the headlight assembly out without taking the bumper cover off. Can it be done on our cars? Just got 2 new assemblis to replace my 13 year old originals.

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    Has anyone had any luck or special tricks to getting the headlights out without having to remove the bumper. I know from other posts that people have mentioned being able to do it, but I usually end up just taken the bumper off, especially given the bottom screw is difficult to get to when reinstalling it. It seems that it is the ballast that gets caught up on the frame when trying to squeeze it out with the bumper on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad03rs6 View Post
    x2 on getting the headlight assembly out without taking the bumper cover off. Can it be done on our cars? Just got 2 new assemblis to replace my 13 year old originals.
    No, and No. Bumper needs to be removed yes.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks. Haven't been on in a while. Any advice or link to a how to on the bumper removal. Seems pretty straight forward, just don't want to miss any steps.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad03rs6 View Post
    Thanks. Haven't been on in a while. Any advice or link to a how to on the bumper removal. Seems pretty straight forward, just don't want to miss any steps.

Thanks in advance.
    Straight forward work. Remove inspection pan. Remove both front tires. Remove all Torx screws from the middle of the wheel whell liner to the front of the car (more on the passenger side than the drivers side). Pull liner back so that you can get socket inside to remove three bolts each side that fasten bumper to fender. Remove intercooler grilles, and remove two long bolts that fasten up through bumper support and sandwich each bumper piston. Pull cover off partially to expose inards. Clamp hose from windshield washer resvoir to front headlight washers and unclip at coupling. Unclip horns and DRL's (fog lights for the US folk) from each side. Pull cover off fully.

Might have missed something small in that list, but that is what I recall off the top of my head having removed the covers on all of my rides here more than a dozen times. Don't quote me on sizes for all the fasteners. Too old to remember that stuff... lol

Lights can then be removed out through the front of the radiator front clip by unclipping the harnes, removing the two top torx fasteners and the one stuck down inside next to the fender.