Thread: Is 30,000 miles worth 5 grand?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    All things being equal IMHO- Yes- Extended warranty options may also be better.

Obviously, it would also depend upon the condition and how maintained by the previous owners- i.e the higher mileage one may actually be in better condition than the lower mileage one. Your skill sets provide you the luxury of making this comparison yourself.

My tranny is currently at IPT being rebuilt. Torque converter and rebuild is approx $5k.

Good luck with the hunt!
    My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
    My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.
    I agree with you. And since you can work on it yourself a lot of the simple stuff will not be as bad for you. As i am sitting with a higher mileage car now at 78K it is in excellent condition and has nearly all new parts. Not much left to wear out or break and regardless major failures on this car seem to occur independent of mileage or abuse (trans and torque converter can go at anytime and have in cars with 11K on them to mine at 30K and 70K). I would save the $$ and buy the cleanest car. For instance if the lower mileage car has not had them go yet all of its control arms, links, stabilizer bar are about to go (this car eats bushings), boots will go, timing belt still an issue due to time depending on when first belt change was done...on and on.

If you buy the one for 28K you will still get the depreciation hit once you buy it and drive it. These cars otherwise i think are finally hitting the bottom around 20 to 23 regardless of mileage as its still top notch over an S4 in the mid teens.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet