Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Great job so far, keep it up the finish line is not too far ahead. Looking good.

And of course you are a constant reminder to someone of my limited skill set to abide by the old saying, "Do not try this at home".

Quote Originally Posted by strlgag View Post
    Great job so far, keep it up the finish line is not too far ahead. Looking good.

And of course you are a constant reminder to someone of my limited skill set to abide by the old saying, "Do not try this at home".
    Thanks!...although the purpose of my thread was supposed to be encouraging to make others feel like they CAN do this at home! I must say, that in the middle of this, and also when it was time to actually start the re-assembly, I wondered several times what in the world I got myself into! That said, when parts just started fitting back together so nicely, and the baggies of nuts and bolts started to disappear, I knew that it was all good and it would be totally worth it in the end.

Also, I wondered how in the world guys like SteveKen can take someone else's car and do a conversion for them...or a shop for that matter to do this without too much documentation out there. I can say that at this point, If it were just the manual conversion, I'd feel very confident to do it again much faster and without any real issues. I need to reflect that I did so much more than just the 6 speed swap with this whole project...in fact, that wasn't even part of the plan in the beginning! If it were just the 6 speed swap, keeping the motor, turbos, etc. all in tact, the tranny parts are actually pretty easy (thank you SteveKen for an awesome kit though!!!).

I was able to get the car out of the garage under it's own power, cleaned up, and a quick 1st/2nd gear rumble around my neighborhood (about a 3/4 mile circle). All wrapped up within a couple of hours of my son's party which was my goal. Everyone including the ladies wanted to hear it fire up, and they weren't disappointed! It's always fun to hear "I didn't know that an Audi could sound like that!". It's running with just the down pipes and mid's in now to the rear axle...I never thought I'd say this, but I may actually consider a straight pipe option for a while...my local exhaust shop can custom fit one for me in a couple of hours, in fact the fab guy that did the O2 bung for me couldn't wait to get ahold of it when we talked about the project and he saw some pics.

Up for today...de-compress from the wedding last night! Hopefully get a few hours to finish getting the front end installed so I can rumble out for some extra laps!