Thread: Muggy's RS6 Refresh 2020

Hybrid View

Alright...what do you do when you can't sleep thinking about the path of oil through your motor? ~ You get up and go out to the garage at 4:30 in the morning and take some stuff apart!

So what I've found is the followers that seem to have failed are at the end of the rocker bar as far away from the oil inlet as possible...you can see in the pic, the large oil journal in the far end of the bar I would assume is the feed, and then in the very end of the bar one rocker away in the opposite direction is a smaller hole for the outlet. There are obviously small holes in the bar for each rocker that feed each follower, but mine in question are basically at the end of the bar that most likely don't really get any flow through, but kind of the end of the run that just gets pressurized. I could be totally speculating here, but I can see how the oil just sits at that end and just gets put under pressure each time you start up, where the rockers in the middle of the run get oil circulation as well, not just pressure. The oil did weep out of the holes under my rocker in question, and I wasn't about to fire up the compressor this early in the morning to blast a shot of air, but I suspect that it is not clogged with anything, just maybe a slight failure in design. I could see a better flow through the rocker bar if it had an outlet at each end for oil to flow completely through in a circuit, not just pressurizing one end and flowing through the other. All that said, I'm sure that some oil does flow though the rocker bar at all points as it lubricates the rocker arms, but not at the volume of the opposite end from the inlet to the outlet...sorry for the winded explanation, but I couldn't find anything else out there on this, so figured that at some point, someone may find this helpful in the future...

Pics showing my ramblings this morning...notice the location of the oil feed in comparison to where my failed followers are at the opposite end (last 2 followers in the run)...

And the outlet for the flow at the opposite end of the bar from my point of issue...

And now my biggest dilemma of the day...replace just the followers at the end of the run (all 3 on last rocker), do the same on the opposite side of the motor too, or replace them all...
    Last edited by Muggy; September 29th, 2020 at 10:46. Reason: Morning ramblings...