Thread: Recommendation for Camshaft Bearing Cap Sealant?

Hybrid View

Thanks to all for your inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    It looks like the green stuff is for metal on metal....
    Sounds like Audi/VW green gold - very typical for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    From another site:
    vw/Audi sealant d154103a1
    "It is a green anaerobic sealant used to seal the aluminum to aluminum camshaft girdle on the newer engine"
    I'll try to estimate the consistency of the green stuff in your photo compared with my Loctite 518, which I've used for AL metal on metal seals in turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Y'all are over thinking it. Grab some Permatex Ultra Black. Spread a thin film around the cam seals, cam end cap seals and half moon seals (including the flat). I add a little more sealant to the tensioner gaskets in all the spots where sealant was applied from the manufacturer. Be mindful of the oil passage and screen on the tensioner GreggPDX mentioned. For the valve cover gaskets you only need a dab in the corners and valley where the cam caps and tensioners meet the head.

If the Blau kit came with a tube of sealant that will be sufficient.

Edit!!!

I just realized you're talking about the cam caps themselves and not the end plugs at the back of the head provided in the gasket kit. I DO NOT use any sealant between the cam caps and head surface. Only around the seals and end plugs.
    Yes, correct - I did mean where the aluminum cam bearing caps mount to the aluminum head surface (metal-to-metal). I think I will use come sealant in those metal to metal contact points that need to hold oil as recommended in Bentley.

Left side cam chain tensioner out

I got the left cam chain tensioner out today. First time job, so I learned by doing, and eventually got it out. Hopefully, the right side should go quicker.

Some grooves worn in both the top and bottom guides/pads. Not too bad but I'm glad to get them refreshed. The half-round seals were leaking, of course. They don't seem like a great approach from my experience and others that I've read here.

Blau kit with pads due to arrive in a couple of days, and I'll be on the replacing the pads and reinstalling.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	+xTSiL1lQp+HNDtsV3OQRg.jpg 
Views:	1075 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	19187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osULTPkvQqqPjvwgkR6cwg.jpg 
Views:	1058 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	19188