Thread: Anyone Modify RS6 Stock Exhaust?

Hybrid View

GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    I'm planning to modify my stock SE system by just removing the muffler cans at the back. My understanding (based on very little actual expertise) is that the mufflers primarily reduce volume, and the resonators reduce the higher-pitch "raspy" sounds. This is why I plan to leave the resonators in place. I just want the car louder while avoiding some of the rasp.

I don't expect any of this stuff to improve performance, I'm just doing it for sound!

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH1 View Post
    GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.
    Interesting, sounds like Milltek was able to tune the sound exactly right, that's the nice thing about going with their setup.

This article gives a nice overview of muffler versus resonator: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...ifference.html

The challenge is figuring out exactly what frequency the factory resonators are designed to tune out. It's very possible they are targeting the "drone" rather than the "rasp".

Once I do the muffler-delete on mine, I'll definitely provide some sound-samples and feedback.