Thread: Brake rotors: Wavy pattern vs Standard

Hybrid View

Yes Mr.Curmudgeon it has. The using of the googler and the interwebz toaster using "RS6.com" in said search gave me a couple threads and it was mostly if they fit and what numbers and from waht car and people complaing on getting Zimmermans instead and the standard "We fear change" BS. There were a couple mentions of leading edges and reduced surface area (hey I think that was you!) and so on and so forth. Now that they have had them a bit and others since have tried but not posted I was curious as to their inputs as well.

Also from an engineering standpoint. I understand why dirt bikes got them but not why street bikes did. Some bikers had improvements going to them and some lost performance. Despite me usually wanting to punch an Audi engineer they dont often do stuff that has no mechanical or performance enhancement and noticing 50% or the Audis on the showroom floor had them it makes me more curious.
    More so if my friend can get me them for the price he stated.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Also from an engineering standpoint. I understand why dirt bikes got them but not why street bikes did. Some bikers had improvements going to them and some lost performance. Despite me usually wanting to punch an Audi engineer they dont often do stuff that has no mechanical or performance enhancement and noticing 50% or the Audis on the showroom floor had them it makes me more curious.
    More so if my friend can get me them for the price he stated.
    I know I have personally tried to find published results detailing any sort of improvement that a wave rotor has over round and have been unable to locate anything. I personally am pressed to believe that they make any difference whatsoever - and IF they in fact do - significant enough to worry about using them as an alternate to the 'standard'.

This all noted, I am of the opinion that if you like the look, and get them for a reasonable enough price - why not. They are certain to stop the car as well as the OEM units.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down