Thread: faults 17746 and 16825 caused a check engine light tonight...what does that mean??

faults 17746 and 16825 caused a check engine light tonight...what does that mean??

searched but not much on the forum....any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the car safe to drive??
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)-17746, which Bank? EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow-16825, most likely N80 valve but could be a bad hose, N115 valve but most likely N80 valve. CEL? Did you find these with Vagcom? Clear them and drive the car and see if they both come back right away or not.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Also check for a loose gas cap on the EVAP fault. But, 9 times out of 10 it's the N80 valve as hahnmgh63 said.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    searched but not much on the forum....any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the car safe to drive??
    17746 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Open or Short to Plus Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active
    Possible Causes

Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
    Wiring/Connectors from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
    Possible Solutions

Check Camshaft Adjustment
    Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
    Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
    Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
    Possible Causes

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Sealing faulty
    Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body leaky/blocked
    Possible Solutions

Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
      Perform Output Test
    Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)
    heck Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
      Perform Basic Setting
    Check Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body
    Special Notes

Make sure the quick release lines for the N80 valve and vacuum line to LDP are not crossed.

This can also make the engine hard to start after filling up the fuel tank.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I've been dealing with a 16825 "Incorrect Flow" on my C5 S6 for the last few months and I don't think I've solved it yet. First tried a new gas cap and that didn't help. Then tried replacing all of the crumbling braided vacuum lines and that didn't help, although it was definitely needed. Then tried a new N80 and that didn't help either. Then tried spraying WD40 in the N80 (per this thread) and that seemed to help for a while but the MIL popped up again a couple weeks ago. I verified all of the lines aren't plugged and the charcoal canister seemed ok (best I could tell) so I'm not sure what to do next.

Throwing darts at a wall I got a new "pancake" / PCV valve last week and that helped with a knocking noise I was getting at idle but I'm not yet sure if it will help with the MIL. I may still try another N80 valve in case the new one I got is defective.

Edit: also, this guy had an interesting theory related to the gas tank rollover valve recall: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-repair-P0441
    Last edited by mrdave; July 21st, 2015 at 20:47. Reason: add link

Thanks for all of the responses!! I did get these codes using Vagcom. I'll have to check when I get home what bank the first code is related to.

I've cleared all of the codes last night and drove into work with no issues. The car is running fine and I was surprised when I looked down the other day and noticed the check engine symbol.

Let's see if the check engine is retriggered in the next few days.

Thanks again!

Greg
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

same codes have appeared again tonight. will reset and see if they occur again.

i solved the 16825 on my S6 by removing and thoroughly cleaning out the N80 with PB Blaster and WD40 on my bench while cycling it with a 12v battery. I also installed this filter (per this AZ thread) in-line before the N80, and I haven't had the code return since Oct.
    Last edited by mrdave; February 11th, 2016 at 15:12. Reason: fix link

thanks. will try that!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    i solved the 16825 on my S6 by removing and thoroughly cleaning out the N80 with PB Blaster and WD40 on my bench while cycling it with a 12v battery. I also installed this filter (per this AZ thread) in-line before the N80, and I haven't had the code return since Oct.