Gentlemen (and ladies, if applicable),

I am stuck trying to replace the lower front control arms on the car. I don't have the manual here (yet). I think I need to remove the axle because there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get the outer end out of the upright knuckle without hitting the CV joint, but of course the axle nuts are being stubborn and won't break loose with even the biggest impact gun/compressor I have. Also, the steel sleeve is coming out of the upright with the control arm, rather than staying in the upright (not sure if this is supposed to happen). Lastly, I unbolted the arm from the subframe, and determined I should probably put it back in for the time being until I can get the other end unbolted; now the long bolt came out fairly easily, but it won't seem to go back in, even though it looks like it's lined up correctly. Can anyone provide some suggestion as to tackle this best (besides RTFM)? I can take reference pictures if needed. I'm scratching my head here and have limited time to finish this job.