Thread: Would you save 905147 ?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Of course someone comes along and puts a "deposit" on it while I'm trying to get the price where it needs to be. Seems like the norm for dealers to do this these days. Guess thats a sign i shouldn't save it.

Maybe the new guy will show up here.
    The "deposit" might be a ploy to either get you to go away or to try to get more money from you through implied pressure. The dealer may have overpaid for the car. I have seen this behavior from a dealer before, about various model cars. These cars do seem to have a somewhat volatile price. At one point there are lots of nice ones for $18-20, and then suddenly they are all over $25000.

When I bought my current one a few months ago, I had an interesting talk with the salesman at the dealer. Apparently the dealer had been initially asking substantially more and failed to sell the car after several months. The price I paid was apparently only $1100 more than they bought the car for. I paid $24600 with 62000 miles and in almost completely perfect condition, which I considered to be a very good price.

All this being said, you do not want that car. It's worth $7500 tops. If there is the potential of engine trouble, you will be opening a can of worms that will never close. You will only end up selling this car for even less than the relatively small amount you will pay for it and taking a loss on whatever work you do on it.

Save up some lunch money for a few months and pay $14-16000 for a mechanically decent car with 150000 miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    better them than you
    Definitely.
    Last edited by Zorb; December 22nd, 2014 at 15:01.