Quote Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
What turbo's are on it and what kind of power output? How does it stack up to the TT V8? It has to be easier in terms of maintenance and better reliability..? Does it give the same runaway-freight train kind of feeling when you put the hammer down?

I am really curious about people's experiences, specifically, what are they like to drive and own in comparison to the TT V8. I can assume things like "the lighter S4 will handle better," but things are not always as they seem once you get behind the wheel.

My wife is currently driving an A4 2.0T Quattro and we are considering upgrading . I am trying to sell her on a RS6, but her car is a 2007 and she doesn't like the idea of an older Audi.
I have both and stage 3 b5 s4 and RS6 stage 2 sitting in the garage right now. both manual transmission. They drive completely different. I would say the s4 is easier to drive and handles better. They both give me the same satisfaction on acceleration. I love the space of the RS6 Avant. I depends really what im up to that day. I drive the S4 more often as it just feels easier to get around. Its got the hybrid RS4 K04 turbos doesn't accelerate that much slower then the RS6. It is missing that V8 kick in your butt instant torque the v8 TT has and the sound is completely different. I would say the maintenance is easier to perform on the S4 much simpler package. I haven't had the RS long enough to comment on the long term reliability but it certainly eats up way more gas.
Compared to other RS cars and NA V8s. They pure strait line torque onset of a Turbo vehicle cant be matched. Ive driven a new RS5 and much prefer the RS6, especially with a manual there is nothing missing(maybe DSG). Now I do really like the b7 RS4, however i not consider it without a supercharger. Its much slower then a proper B5 S4 and a RS6. I will agree the transmission is great though. I wish they DSG could be a player but that kinda stuff if just for daily drivers. My b5 S4 is a great daily. It has 187K and going strong and I still love driving it everyday. The RS6 has 63K and going strong and seem to enough it more for a family outing or a weekend jaunt.

Bottom line. The RS6 is a more costly car to own then most. To me the older B5 and C5 have a much more solid quality feel then the newer Audi's. I would never consider one a downgrade. The RS6 handles plenty well to keep up with a pack of other Audi s and rs cars on the mountain twisties. It just takes a little more work...