Thread: How to delay the death of a dying auto box

Threaded View

How to delay the death of a dying auto box

Thanks to Greg (aka 905084), I used his guide in order to bypass my line pressure solenoid (from activating, which lowers line pressure). I know nothing about auto trans, but this is pretty straight forward and easy. Thought I would share my thoughts and pics..

First I drained the pan, which is straightforward. I used a clean container to catch all of my fluid, in order to re-use it since I had just serviced the trans 2 years ago (vs "lifetime fluid, more on that later). Before I drained it, I made sure I had the big 17mm hex driver to get the fill plug out. It was TIGHT and required a breaker bar. Then removed the pan after pulling 40 T27 torx bolts out. This is the glory behind the curtain. Filter still on

Closeup of solenoid panel. The one we are after is the green one (AKA "EDS-1"), hard not to miss it.

Next I made my resistor "adaptor." I originally bought the same 2x10ohm 1 watt resistors from Radio Shack for $1.60, but an electrician ended up giving me an actual 5.1ohm 2 watt resistor which is pretty much exactly what we need, and would be more reliable. He has a ton, if anyone local needs one. I couldn't find 5ohm anywhere.

Finished Product. Blades fit perfectly into the connector.

Reference shot when installed

All in all, very simple to do. Longest time was spent waiting for coolant to cool down, and then the refill process.

Here are some gratuitus pics of the dirty pan, my metallic chia-pets, and how DIRTY the oil was. Smelled a bit burnt. For reference, I had BND fluids put in about 35k miles/2 years ago, and I currently have 160k miles. Original trans from what I understand, but 2nd TC.

When I turned the key on, no red PRNDS. YAY! it does engage harder into gear from neutral, but does not slam at all, nothing near what it did when slipping and crashing into the next gear. One time, it did go into safemode before start. VAGCOM showed a short to plus on some solenoid (N215). But it was in 4th gear, not 5th. It was actually WAY more driveable in 4th, just higher RPM on freeway. 5th is pretty annoying to start in. Not sure why it decided to change gears in safemode. But its back to just driving normally, no slipping when hot. I would call it a success, given the circumstances and was worth the time and "money." At least I can drive it for now when I'm in a pinch until I wait for my 6 speed to be completed.
    Last edited by Brav; September 22nd, 2012 at 01:55.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."