Thread: manuals going the way of the Dodo

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    In the recent EVO, Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa was asked about a manual for the new 458. In fact, in regards to the new DCT system, the question was worded, "Is this the end of manual gearboxes in Ferraris?"

His response:

"Yes, it is. The 458 will not be available as a manual, nor will future Ferraris as customers no longer request one".

So, I bring this up for those like RXBG that are very fond of manuals. Now, let's be honest, I doubt any would say that a brand as a whole is more sporty than Ferrari, so if Ferrari says they are out, it is only a matter of time before the other "halo" sports brands follow suit.

So the fact that the GT-R is "only" available as an "auto" is a no issue since this is the trend. Hell, even Eric was suggesting Porsche should be giving the customer the choice of PDK.

"Times, they are a changing..."

Ben
    In 30 years time nobody will care about manuals. They'll be looked at in the same way that cars with drum brakes and no ABS are looked upon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    In 30 years time nobody will care about manuals. They'll be looked at in the same way that cars with drum brakes and no ABS are looked upon now.
    Amen, and I could not agree more.

RXBG, your point about city driving is similar to mine. Yes, manuals are definately more "engaging" but I want a car I can use at all times (cause So Cal traffic SUCKS), not just on back roads and on the track. Hence why I am over manuals. Still like em', just no longer "need" them.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan