Thread: Oil Analysis Program

Threaded View

Oil Analysis Program

I have posted a definition sheet of what an oil analysis breakdown consists of and what each material in your engine/ oil comes from. Next I have the sample of the Virgin sample of the Castrol TXT 505.01 right from the bottle, never having been in an engine. This will tell us what the oil is made of and more importantly how much anti-wear agents are in the oil and what the TBN number is from the start. Last I have the Sample results for my oil with 9500 miles on it, Science is great and now we can see how this oil performs in the engine and more importantly does it protect out to 10K miles.

Definitions of whats in your oil and where it comes from.

The Virgin Sample. Whats in a basic bottle of Castrol TXT 505.01 This oil is basicly a diesel oil mixture with slightly higher Phosphorus and Zinc than non diesel oils. There is nothing really special about this oil over any other synthetic oil blended under the SL standard for diesels instead of the new SM standards really. All they did was increase the Phos and Zinc the anti-wear properties of this oil. The oil I use has 3 to 4 times the amount of Phos and Zinc found in this oil. The rest of what is in the oil is detergents and dispersents. The TBN was 8.2 which is good, but probably would have been a little higher if they could have heated and pressurized the oil to activate the additives in the oil, so I'll give this oil another 1.5 to 2 on its TBN. This oil is not worth $17 per qt though.

This oil can last and protect your engine up to 10K miles. The TBN is still at 2 with 9500 miles on the oil with most wear in the normal range. The Iron which is from cylinders and the valve trains is showing above avg wear but nothing dangerously abnormal. The lead comes from bearings and they are also showing above avg wear but again not alarmingly high. The .5% fuel in the oil caused my viscosity numbers to be lower than they should be and that also probably caused the abnormal wear on the Iron and lead parts. The ACES IV I use in my fuel will fix this issue as it prevents blowby. Silicon comes from dirty air filters so I probably need to change them based on the amount of silicon in the oil. Insolubles in the oil were .3 so the oil filter is great, still filtering after 9500 miles, this also means the oil does not create a lot of burn off/ carbon/ ash. Blackstone recommended 10,500 miles on this oil. The oil I use has a TBN of 12-14 on its virgin sample. I hope this helps.

Last edited by GEN XER; February 27th, 2009 at 03:58.