Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi R8 V12 TDI.

I love the GT3 as well. Very tuff choice between the two.

Anyway my next one will be a Porsche. But this can change of course...

Of course I am perfectly fine for the time being

Porsche and Audi, that just goes one with another...

Remember RS 2....

Look at your number of posts stay on mute now Andy

nice one!

I wonder what the relationship between Audi and Porsche will be like if the R8 steals a lot of sales from the 911?!

:eye:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Well Porsche is not far from controlling VW so they might diplomatically ask Audi to slow down

But most of The Porsche owners usually stay within Porsche offering as long as they want to drive a GT like many friends of mine, collegues and my father

I think it is going to be very interesting to see what happens when Volkswagen and Porsche become one company.

Audi has moved into every niche, both up and down. In doing so it has encroached on Volkswagen's traditional small car market segment at the lower end, with the A2 and A3, and Porsche's luxury sports car segment at the top end, with the TT, A5 and R8.

A merger between Porsche and Volkswagen makes a lot of sense, because they serve opposite ends of the market. But i'm not sure where this would leave Audi. It would need to offer a condensed product range, because of customer overlap:

- The TT is very close to the Cayman
    - The Q7 is very close to the Cayenne
    - The R8 is very close to the 911
    - The A8/ S8 will be very close to the Panamera

This only leaves the A4 and A6 in a class by themselves. in other words, a merger with Porsche could kill Audi.

Wow, I thought this thread was about the V12TDI R8? Silly me...

About the TDI V12, IF that engine makes it into the car, why would it be even remotely hard to believe it would do sub 4 sec 0-60 times? I mean, come on! A Gallardo (same weight) has 500hp, so does the V12 TDI... A Gallardo has 370-380(?) torque? Well, the V12 TDI has more than DOUBLE that figure!!!:bigeyes:

Everyone here (myself included) has worried that politics would keep Audi from making a faster car than it's Lambo brother, but the brilliance is this motor would give Audi their shot! I mean, think about it, what Lambo owner wants a TDI? None. So Gallardo owners wouldn't care if the R8 had a faster version as long as it wasn't petrol. If it was just a "lowly" TDI, I think this would be Audi's one chance to upstage the performance of the Gallardo without actually taking market share of Gallardo purchases.

Thoughts...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Originally posted by Fab

Great !

Originally posted by Fab
    Everybody has its own opinion. Porsche is a myth and has been at the top of the sports cars segment for years. Porsches are just great looking . This is like a Rolex : same shape over the last 40-50 years and still number one . The TT a rebodied golf !!! come on. Those people are just kidding

The back pack engine is just part of the Porsche Myth and a philosophy. Very funny to drive and giving you a hell of adherence and motricity.

The R8 looks very promising but will never reach the Porsche aura and driving feeling.

Fab,

I agree that the Porsche is and has been at the top of the supercar game, which Lamborghini has also been, especially under the control of Audi. I know that their is enough differences between the R8 and Gallardo to make it not a sure thing that the R8 can be held in the same esteem.

But it doesn't have to, remember that this is an Audi which lets face it is the sensible sportscar brand and the R8 will be no different. It will have all thing that's important in the Audi brand but with a little bit of the Lamborghini's flair. I don't doubt that it will be as good to drive as the Porsche or Lamborghini but just different in a very Audi way. This is without a doubt be the best driving Audi ever and place it at the up there with the above but more importantly ahead of BMW and Mercedes.

I do agree that a v12 diesel engine would be a prefect match for the R8, the extra weight of the engine will have less effect in the middle than at the front, so it will be easier for the engineers to maintain it's handling dynamics. And with the amount of torque this engine produces, the extra weight diesel model might not let it match it's petrol brothers in acceleration but it will totally destroy them in-gear and could quite possibly be the fastest overall. It would be the version that would appeal to me.

This is addressed to Tailpipe's comments regarding the Aston V8 Vantage. To say that the Aston is a better car than the RS4 is like saying the M3CSL is also a better car than the RS4. On both points it's correct, but on both counts this is really only right on the track. Place both these cars against a RS4 on the road and with all of them in the hands of the average driver, the RS4 will walk away into the distance, but alas most people only want to have to best car, not necessarily what is the best for them. In the right hands either of them would leave to RS4.

Agreed, the Aston does have better steering feel and better weight balance but though I would class myself as a pretty decent pilot, place both cars on the road I would never be able to drive the Aston as quickly as the RS4 and still keep my hair. And this same points can be applied to the R8, it might not have the steering feel of a Carerra S or be as thrilling to drive of a Gallardo but I bet you in our hands it will be the quickest down any given road.
    Search and you will find the truth.