Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics: Audi R8 at Nürburgring

The MB one looks a lot like the R8, oh wait, maybe it is because the MB photoshop is a retouached R8 picture. I think the R8 will do fine, considering how pricey the 911 gets, the R8 should definately outperform the 911 S and cost about the same.

The MB one looks a lot like the R8, oh wait, maybe it is because the MB photoshop is a retouached R8 picture. I think the R8 will do fine, considering how pricey the 911 gets, the R8 should definately outperform the 911 S and cost about the same.

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    Welcome back Tailpipe, we hadn't hear from you for so long I thought you had fallen off the edge of the world.

I ask you one question Tailpipe, would you prefer to put your money in a M6 or a R8? And please don't answer with a different choice.
    R8 no question. But the point of my thread is that i would go with a different choice for that money. I am looking forward to seeing how R8 compares to Aston-Martins, Porsches, and new Lexus LF-A. As for M6: What an ugly heap of expensive rubbish.

(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!

Originally posted by tailpipe
    R8 no question. But the point of my thread is that i would go with a different choice for that money. I am looking forward to seeing how R8 compares to Aston-Martins, Porsches, and new Lexus LF-A. As for M6: What an ugly heap of expensive rubbish.

(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!
    Well done, to yourself and the misses. How do you know it was a boy, two airbags and an exhaust pipe.

Back to the R8, I think the car will be better than the Aston and the Lexus, I just can't see the Lexus being anything more than a luxury GT. The Porsche will be a different matter and even if it does beat the 997, with Porsche looking more than like to take control of VAG, I doubt they will let the R8 live long enough to see a MK2 version.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Tailpipe: Congrats on the new arrival!!!

As for the R8, we'll have to wait and see. Still not likely to dent Porsche's sales figures too much, I suspect.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

...(Sorry to have been absent, but Mrs Tailpipe just gave birth to little Tailpipe junior, (4.05 litres.. sorry kgs). Our first lad. For once, cars had to come second!
    Congrat's... !

Originally posted by Leadfoot

Back to the R8, I think the car will be better than the Aston and the Lexus, I just can't see the Lexus being anything more than a luxury GT. The Porsche will be a different matter and even if it does beat the 997, with Porsche looking more than like to take control of VAG, I doubt they will let the R8 live long enough to see a MK2 version.
    I don't know whether Porsche will take control of Volkswagen, but i hope they do. it would be a sensible move in my opinion. The 911 really is a tractor and is so old that surely the time has come to pension it off? in many ways the R8 is the car porsche should have built a long time ago. (i might not have much time for the 911, but I think the Cayman is amazing; no other car costing the same price comes near it in terms of the driving experience.)

Although a bit cynical about the R8, I think Audi will ultimately do a great job. One question: After Martin Winterkorn publicly said it would be a 2+2, it now seems that it will be a two-seater? Is this correct?

The Lexus LF-A is shaping-up to a great car. it will have a front mid-engine configuration rather than a rear mid-engine. Did you see the Autocar article on it? Hybrid supercar that is cool.

If Audi gives the R8 a V12 diesel, this could be the one to have. imagine 200 mph and 25-30 mpg. You could drive from London to the South of France on a single tank of gas. Cool.

Welcome back Tailpipe and congratulation !

A long absence but for a very good reason.

Congratulations Tailpipe, we're due February.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Congratulations to both of you .
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

I don't know whether Porsche will take control of Volkswagen, but i hope they do. it would be a sensible move in my opinion. The 911 really is a tractor and is so old that surely the time has come to pension it off? in many ways the R8 is the car porsche should have built a long time ago. (i might not have much time for the 911, but I think the Cayman is amazing; no other car costing the same price comes near it in terms of the driving experience.)
    I have a problem with Porsche controlling VAG and here's my opinions on why I think so.

1: Every time two companies join there is always ones that suffer and by this I mean Lamborghini. Under Audi, Lamborghini has finally been able to give Ferrari a run for it money for the first time in years. But I can't believe that Porsche would allow Lamborghini the to stay in the group, what this it being a competitor, unless Porsche's future plan are not to extend it's own range up in to Lamborghini price bracket. This might be a possibility as Porsche seems to be extending into more classes in and around the same price as their current models and might even move drop into the A3/Golf size. But even so, Lamborghini future would still look shakily.

2: Everyone know including Porsche that the 911's day is done, but still here it is after 40 years. They have tried to replace it a few times now and every time they have tried it has almost bankrupted them. With 40 years of design it still basically looks the same, hell even the most basic of things like a pair of glasses have changed more than that. So the forward thinking designs of Audi would not advance in the same way.

3: Will Audi be there at all. If Porsche was looking at extending their range of cars downwards, surely all they would need would be VW to be their cheaper produce and Porsche would replace Audi as the premium produce with the sportier design and driving style, the position that Audi currently hold.

I believe Porsche involvement with VAG is a good thing up to a point, with VAG benefiting from technology sharing and using Porsche's knowledge in chassis and engines development and Porsche benefiting from other possible joint model development like what was done with the Toureg/Cayenne to help it extend it's range and help offset costs, but nothing else.

P.S.

I too think the Cayman is the best Porsche to date. And if Porsche ever want to the nail in the coffin of the 911, then take the Cayman to the next level of handling and power, give it a LSD and a pair of turbos. I don't think there would be to many buyers for the 911 then.
    Search and you will find the truth.