Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New RS6 Details

Re: air suspension

Originally posted by RXBG
    so audi has DRC and magnetic ride AND air suspensions? why are they not considering magnetic suspension for the new RS6?
    Agreed, I know about a year or so ago Autoexpress or Autocar wrote a piece on the new RS6 being tested on the ring and in it they said Audi were using a new system called Magnetic Ride. This was before we knew that the TT was to get the system, so either Audi has tried it on the test mule and it didn't work or it works and they are keeping it for the options list.

Or is it possible that it doesn't give a good enough ride quality on such a heavy car?

Or does the system give great ride quality but bad body control on such a heavy car?

Or should I stop rabbiting on?
    Search and you will find the truth.

leadfoot....good thinking

perhaps the magnetic system is for lighter sports cars. it reacts the fastest but also has it's inherent weight limits....hence the TT and the R8..............
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Re: Re: air suspension

Originally posted by Leadfoot

A:Or is it possible that it doesn't give a good enough ride quality on such a heavy car?

B:Or does the system give great ride quality but bad body control on such a heavy car?

C:Or should I stop rabbiting on?

D... all of the above.

Originally posted by SpinEcho
    Let's face it - weight is going to remain a serious issue. I can't believe the car will be any lighter than the current version, and it will almost certianly be heavier.

Spin,

I've been an advocate of the MkI RS 6 for this exact reason. I also find it really hard to believe that Audi will be able to rein in the weight of the MkII Beast. But... nothing is impossible. Afterall, they were actually able to make the MkII TT lighter, by over 100lbs, than the first gen model. Granted, that was with extensive aluminum, but it was possible.

If Audi could produce the miracle of keeping the new RS 6 within 50lbs of the first RS 6, give it 600PS, and bring the Avant to the States, I'd give serious consideration to buying it.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

In discussing weight, weight distribution and what can be done about them, I think it is very important to remember that the root of the problem is the donor car. For example, the new S6 saloon is more than 100 kg heavier than the old S6 saloon and same goes for Avant although the new car boasts a marginally improved weight distribution.

Yes, weight saving is crucial but it is usually too late to be very significant at the RS-stage. RS6 is no CSL, Stradale or GT RS and there is no unlimited Veyron (Carbon brakes and carbon here and there as standard etc.) budget at hand. It is simply not financially feasible to start to build unique space frames or even too many bespoke lightweight body panels for a low volume car like RS6. Therefore, the RS4 weighs the same as the S4 despite having bespoke lightweight panels upfront, more aluminium in suspension and light bucket seats. The upgraded brakes, suspension (like, e.g., DRC or adaptive air suspension), engine etc. all effectively undo all the "gimmick" weight savings.

Sure, you can accomplish a 5kg weight saving with an expensive carbon roof - but so what, is it worth the money? Yes, maybe part of a very extensive programme in trying to diet a sporty 1500kg road car to 1300kg track car - but maybe not in trying to make a 2100kg luxury road car down to a still porky 1900kg luxury road car when taking costs into account. Manually adjustable bucket seats, no air con, no power windows etc. are completely out of place in a road going RS6 - and some buy sun roofs to aluminum roofed cars and all the weight saving and lowering of centre of gravity is then more than undone at one stroke.

The new S6 already has many aluminium body panels at front and the new RS6 needs an enlarged front end, which adds to costs and weight. So, in production and road trim with all the added hardware, the RS6 will at the very best not weigh more than the S6 but in reality it probably will just like the RS6 Mk I was heavier than the equivalent S6.

Originally posted by QuattroFun

... So, in production and road trim with all the added hardware, the RS6 will at the very best not weigh more than the S6 but in reality it probably will just like the RS6 Mk I was heavier than the equivalent S6.
    Agreed. Hence why I said the "miracle" of making the RS 6 MkII weigh the same as the Mk I.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

I like most of us have been worried about how much weight the new RS6 will be carrying. Hoping that it will not dull the handling too much, kill it's acceleration, top speed and not destory it's ride, all valid points. But we all should not fret, remember the S6 has already bettered the M5 with more weight, less power, less acceleration and all here will agree, not as good handling.

It is well known that the current A6 chassis is better than the current A4 chassis and we already know that the S6 is a better handling car than the S4, so why will this trend not continue with the new RS6 being better than the already brilliant RS4. The fact that Audi are not using the DRC system tells me that their already have a replacement that is even better, regardless of what is being say on this or any other forum.

There is no doubt that it will weigh more than the old RS6, but with the right type of suspension it can still be made to feel light and agile, just look at what Merc has done this their CLS and above models. My bigger concern is it's ride quality, something Audi has in the past had trouble mastering, with the exceptions being the new TT, RS4 and the S8.

With regards to carbon roofs, Audi are not as stupid as BMW, they realise that such a thing should only be placed on something that will benefit such a small reduction in weight. Just look at the M6, saved a total of 95kgs and charged an extra £18K, madness and this is shown in second-hand values. People aren't that stupid, even BMW owners. I just hope that Audi ignore these silly gimmicks that have little or no effect on such heavy cars and give it the really important stuff, like giving it the same evil looks of the RS4 with all the elegance of the S8. Lovely.

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    I just hope that Audi ignore these silly gimmicks that have little or no effect on such heavy cars and give it the really important stuff, like giving it the same evil looks of the RS4 with all the elegance of the S8. Lovely.
    That's the last thing you should worry about
    The new RS6 is going to have a complete new front design. I bet its goin to be more evil lookin than teh rs4 one

Originally posted by Misha
    That's the last thing you should worry about
    The new RS6 is going to have a complete new front design. I bet its goin to be more evil lookin than teh rs4 one
    Awesome!

And Leadfoot, I think you meant 9.5kgs... not 95kgs (209lbs) for the carbon fiber roof... No?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Hey, Rad-RS6 - PM sent
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Originally posted by Benman
    Awesome!

And Leadfoot, I think you meant 9.5kgs... not 95kgs (209lbs) for the carbon fiber roof... No?

Ben
    Ben,

When I said 95kgs this was all of BMW's weight saving efforts which included the shortening of the chassis from M5 to M6. I know that the roof wouldn't make that much on it's own.

Interesting to hear everyone's comments but is bigger better for the new RS6? v10 or v8 ? Turbos or not? I have just read VW have launched a new Golf GT 1.4 ENGINE WITH SUPERCHARGER/TURBO and this gives it a reported 168 BHP and more impressively combined mpg of 38.2 and also apparently dropped CO2 emmissions from 192 to 176. Whilst the new RS6 is not going to be a politically or environmentally correct beast it could move in that direction without necessarily compromising on performance (it would help if it went on a diet before its next incarnation).

:s4addict: SOON TO BE

Cars which got more than 600 HPs are usually not environmentally correct...
    If you wanna drive an environmentally correct car get an Audi A3 TDI...i dont think that audi is going for the fastest, and at the same time for the less pollutant car.
    RS6 will always be a beast, and beast aint gunna be untroubled...
    2001 A3 1.8T - sold -
    2004 (?) RS6+ B&B Tuned//Chiped -wrecked-
    2006 RS4 Cabrio
    2007 S3

Originally posted by SpinEcho
    Hey, Rad-RS6 - PM sent
    Back @ you

Re: The New RS6 Details

Originally posted by Misha
    ...Right now they are using an S6 with teh new engine for testing in the far north of germany. So if you get raped by an S6 on the autobahn somewheres there...you know what happened
    ...[/IMG]