Thread: Servicing the RS6

Servicing the RS6

I am new to the forum (based in London) and have a question. I presently have a S4 AVANT which I am in the process of selling and upgrading to an RS6 saloon (the wife and kids will be getting a 4.2 avant). The RS6 second hand prices have become very reasonable given the performance and "q" car appeal. What should you look out for on second hand cars?

I have been told by an audi service manager the RS6 is the best car audi ever made (including in his opinion the new RS4, a very close run thing). However, he warned that you needed to:-
    replace front brake discs and pads needed every 15-20k miles. replace cambelt every 40k miles
    check the Dynamic Ride Control (DRC)

Is there anything else I need to be aware of and check before I join this exclusive RS6 CLUB?

Thanks

James

I would agree that it pretty much covers everything we've experienced in the states as well.

I recently upgraded to a full Mov'it Big Brake setup, so I can't say for sure I will be replacing pads every 25K miles, as I had to do with the front stock pads and rotors. Only time will tell.

As for the belts, yes they were done at the 35K mile interval (33.5K on the odometer), and I'll be doing it again at 75-80K miles.

Suspension Gods please continue to bless my RS6 and thank you for all your services thus far, as I have not experienced the DRC issues some other folks have. Most have had it fixed, while a minority few have gone with PSS9 suspension upgrade. Someone had to be the test pigs, I guess the RS6 was it!

Good luck and welcome.

All valid points from your service manager. As you will be buying a used car, there are further issues that you need to be concerned with, such as how the car was treated (run hard, tracked etc), any mods?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Originally posted by nene

Suspension Gods please continue to bless my RS6 and thank you for all your services thus far...

Good luck and welcome.
    Welcome to the forum.

As Nene says, the DRC is probably the biggest problem being encountered. Some here have also had misc. engine issues and a forum search will pull up some info. As LIRS6 says, a check over would be nice, car been tracked? If so, treated good (warmed up and then cooled off or rode hard and put away wet).

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Welcome to the forum.

as far as brakes go that would all depend on your driving style. I am at 64k km, original rotors and second set of front pads. Expect to do brake overhaul at 70k or so, I too have Movit's waiting to replace stock setup - it is not much more expensive compared with stock if you have to do all 4 corners

Remember, you use most of the energy when you use brakes .....

Other than DRC issue which has been fixed (after much grief) my car's been great.

The door handles inside tend to peel....this was due to poor materials choice in my opinion.

Otherwise not engine issues and no transmission issues.

My brake pads were changed at about 28000 miles and the rotors were reportedly 'in spec'.

I suspect I'll be buying new rotors soon as my current mileage is 46500 and I doubt that Audi will replace my rotors regardless of the 'spec.' Like the Book George Castnaza took into the bathroom on Seinfield, my car has been 'flagged.'

Oh well.

Enjoy the new ride.

Mike

Well mine is good so far on the DRC but I had a torque converter and the transmission go on mine. Make sure to have that checked out and feel for any slipping. Brakes same as others said, had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty in the low 30s...then pads I paid for again due to driver education event on the track. You will find that RS6 brakes are the squeakest things ever and there is not much you can do about it. So if they are squeaking that is actually more normal than not. Timing belt replaced under warranty at the recommended interval 30 to 35K.

My interior door handle/arm rest in front had the peeling issue on the plastic although the previous owner or the dealer that sold it to me used a paint to go over the areas rather than replace the panels...I think before my warranty is up I will have that replaced properly.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

HAd mine for a year and is now 3 years old.

DRC leaked a few times under warranty and has been patched up but I have a feeling it will be an ongoing problem with the RS6

Brake pads an discs original and 35k miles on the clock. Al ot of motorway drivingh before you all call me a girl!

Recent pipe leak on the intercooler that gives a loud whisling noise under revs. Easily fixed.

Tyres are Mich PS2 and likely to only last 15k miles i guess.

Warranty extention cost £1600 or so, and a rip off but probably still a wise move unless you let it sit i the garage all week.

Happy motoring. Mines for sale probabaly in September as wifey has gone for a 7 seater and I fancy a CSL. Maybe anyway! as winter in coming and the Q looks useful again.
    shimmy

no longer looking for an RS6 Avant, got one.