Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropping the clutch at what rev for RS4?

I have found a video from someone who released the clutch at 3500 rpm:

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...2501284aff.htm

The ESP lights all the way :king:

For the record the ESP light is blinking because first stage is disabled not because it's being used at all.

Here are a couple of clarification as many think that the blinking light is a sign of the system being used.

One tap on the ESP button = removing first stage ESP or ASR (blinking light)
    Push & hold for 3 secs = ESP completely off (light always on)

ASR = Anti Slip Regulation System, when accelerating this will prevent the wheels from spinning by adjusting engine power to the grip available... This is why you should disable this function when launching the car. This is also what is causing that double gripping action that some were reporting when shifting the second gear at full throttle.

EDL = Electronic Differential Lock, This is more linked to the way Quattro works in relation with ABS (this feature cannot be turned off)

ESP = Electronic Stability Program, this is the feature that will break a wheel if the system senses that the direction you're pointing the wheels differ from the direction of the car (mostly understeering with an RS4)

ABS, ok everyone knows this one, just keep in mind that it cannot be turned off (unless you remove some fuse) and that this system is used by all others to monitor what is going on.

That's short summary but will surely help many to better understand what is going on!

Originally posted by BigRick
    ESP = Electronic Stability Program, this is the feature that will break a wheel if the system senses that the direction you're pointing the wheels differ from the direction of the car (mostly understeering with an RS4)
    Ouch, that could get expensive.

BigRick good explanation .

If I remember correctly the ASR works as if you lift the foot of the gas , annoying on the track but maybe good on the road .
    The ESP is not intrusive , very good , and on the Rs4 is very easy to slide the tail to help in the turns even with the ESP on and it not entering in action . (always on a track , for me it is not fun to scare people)

Actually a fun car .
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

Yes ASR is actually as if you were lifting the foot from the gas... This can get annoying even on the road when you try to launch the car. (OK, I agree with you this should be reserved for the track but we all know that we still do it on the road)

And after reading a couple of post about the double clutch effect I started to wonder if this was not linked to the ASR and from my experiments it is.

So if you plan on launching remember to tap the ESP button once.

IulianUM, you're right. The ESP only intervenes when it's really time for it to. It's not like some other cars when you cannot really "control" the car the way you want.

And I absolutely agree with your mindset: It's really not fun to scare people on the road and that car can surely scare people :king:

cheers

My God people !!! This car has DTM components !!

I have 7800 KM i i did the 8250 RPM and off a lot of times and it's ok. At first there were some ugly smells but now it's ok.
    It depende who are you racing with : very good launch is with 4300- 4400 RPM but explosive in in the limiter but take the foot off completely !!
    Conti's are good for launc because they spin imediately , i have pirelli and it gives me good grip and if i don't spin i slip the clutch !!
    That's about it : for no problems go for 4300 RPM and you'l be surprised !

LOVE FOR RS4

I must admit your balls are bigger than mine!!! I would never had attempted a launch at 8000rpm

thanks for trying it for us, now we know it's possible

Cheers

hehe itīs no problem..6-7000 just get of the clutch.You have to is you want to feel the speed in the car. you have to work hard if you want it to go under 5sec to 100km..And if it breaks just call the seller and ask what kind of junk you just spend your last 80 000 euros on.(if you have a garanti).

Nic (ferrari challenge driver)

Actually, it depends.

On a sticky race track, I did several 5500 rpm launches, no problem. Tiny bit of spin, but we were gone.

On the street, I aim for 4500 rpm.

The key with AWD cars is this:

If the tires don't slip, either the tranny/diff is taking the abuse or the clutch is (if you're slipping it)

In an environment where traction is superb, there's a chance the cluthc WILL slip. After about 5 bad launches (with a bad driver, aggressive clutch slip), I saw an RS4 clutch die.

Bottom line, you'd rather have wheel spin than anything else in an AWD car.

Jepp

I agree 100% and if you do 5 bad starts as you say its must be a bad driver and you should cont in a new cluth in your budget. I dident bruogt upp that i only have driven my car on winter tires and dont have mutch grip..should be fun to try it wivth pirelli slicks on a track but it will take some months in this cold contry.

May i mention that in the 4700 RPM launch in this weather ( 0 to max 10 degrees celcius ) i got 4.12 sec from o - 62 MPH or 0 to 100 KM/H an d 400 meters in 12.33 sec at 179 km / h . I believe in the summer i will go up a little ! In cold weather the start is better because you get the wheelspin you need for a good run !!
    Best launch is with continental tires not with Pirelli because the have less grip then Pirelli !

When you slip the clutch the smeel is pretty bad so you should not try again and drive a little so it cools down !!
    Good luck for you all happy RS4 owners !!

Quote Originally Posted by CezarRS4 View Post
    May i mention that in the 4700 RPM launch in this weather ( 0 to max 10 degrees celcius ) i got 4.12 sec from o - 62 MPH or 0 to 100 KM/H an d 400 meters in 12.33 sec at 179 km / h . I believe in the summer i will go up a little ! In cold weather the start is better because you get the wheelspin you need for a good run !!
    Best launch is with continental tires not with Pirelli because the have less grip then Pirelli !

When you slip the clutch the smeel is pretty bad so you should not try again and drive a little so it cools down !!
    Good luck for you all happy RS4 owners !!
    impressive numbers :bigeyes:

did you get the chrono by "hand" or with electronic sensors ? As it may be slightly polluted when hand made... But anyway great numbers. I will try and hope I don't burn my clutch

It was made with an accelerometer !! Best one from Beltronics !!

Don't do more then 2 launches as the clutch will start to slip !

In fact the third time i got the best numbers !

Good luck