Thread: RS 4 - 3000 mile review

RS 4 - 3000 mile review

RS 4 – How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

OK, my apology to The Bard, but the sentiment expressed is valid. In words that hit closer to home today – spoken by my 83-year-old father, “What an automobile!”

It is truly an amazing automobile.

So, without further ado, I humbly submit my second review on the occasion of reaching 3000 miles today. The milestone occurred during our return from our first extended highway trip this weekend.

With some considerable difficulty, I (mostly) followed the break-in procedure prescribed by Audi. I am familiar with the Motoman procedure, and DID employ some of those techniques as well.

At 3000 miles, I have a very strong engine ready to answer my need for speed.

Some basic information:

Miles – 3000
    Oil used – 1 quart
    Mileage – prior to this trip – 16.9 MPG (primarily rural/suburban driving, minimal hwy)
    Mileage – following the trip – 17.5 MPG (adjusted following 500 mile highway trip)
    Mileage – during the trip – 23.1 MPG (highway speeds, 75 – 80+ MPH)

Observations:

I am very pleased with the overall mileage to date. I don’t baby the car during my daily driving, although I DON’T waste fuel by downshifting during routine deceleration to a stop. I save fuel when I can to use it when I want.

I am also pleased with the highway mileage. I was not trying to squeeze the last drop of mileage during this trip. There were plenty of rapid accelerations during passing maneuvers and merges. I also had the chance to show an older (2001) A4 what newer Audi technology can do (120+) – much to the delight of the three twenty-something guys in the A4 who tried their best to keep up.

So what is this car – really? Is it a drag car? Is it a track-day car?

As I become more intimately acquainted with the RS 4, I am getting closer to answering those questions.

It really isn’t a drag car, although Road & Track’s 0-60 time of 4.3 seconds and 12.8 second quarter mile puts it in some pretty elite company. As it sits, it really isn’t a track-day car either. I’m sure that I’ll spend some time on the track with it, as will other owners, but at the best part of 4000 pounds it just isn’t designed to be a true track-day car. Strip about 600 pounds of seats, trim, carpet, sunroof, power window motors, etc., and you’d have something. See also M3 CSL…

OK, what is it then?

It is undeniably quick AND fast. I don’t know if I’ve seen 4.3, but with relatively easy launches, I’m sure I can consistently attain the advertised 4.8 zero to sixty time with no problem. When I DO launch it, 4.3 seems very possible. My stoplight sprints against a couple of cars that I’ve played with in my S4 confirm my feelings that the RS is much quicker than my B5.

There is a difference in the way the two generations feel during acceleration. The kick of the turbo is unmistakable in the B5. The B5 SEEMS faster. That is until you look at the rate at which you are building speed. The B7 RS 4 is so smooth across the power band that the feeling of acceleration is less than that of the B5, yet the actual acceleration is greater. It’s a physics thing. The human body feels changes in speed, not the actual speed itself.

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and races to the keyboard to tell me how fast their Stage III S4 is, I BELIEVE YOU. A built B5 is very fast.

The RS 4 is extremely fast at highway speeds. Without the ability to give it a true Autobahn test in The States, I can tell you that the RS can outrun almost everything on the road (right up to the limiter), and hang with those it can’t outrun. Sure, the Z06 and a few others will run to higher top end speeds, but I don’t care. Most of us will never see 175 MPH on the road.

I’ve been most impressed with the car’s combination of speed and handling. I live in a rural area that gives me the opportunity to test the handling dynamics on a daily basis. This is where the RS truly shines. I have seen exit speeds in turns that I wouldn’t have thought possible. A friend of mine used to have a 360 Modena that isn’t any faster through these same turns.

So, I’ve said that it isn’t a drag-car or a track-day car, yet all I’ve really done is talk about speed and handling. What’s up with that?

When you combine the performance qualities of the RS with the legendary fit, finish and build quality of Audi, you’ve taken the sports sedan genre to a whole new level. It is a luxury-touring sedan that happily eats highway miles in absolute comfort. It is a daily-driver that greets its driver (and passengers) with luxury appointments that few cars can match in a cockpit that a jet pilot would appreciate. No offense SAAB. Yet, the “Mr. Hyde” side of the RS is a toe-tickle away. Drop a gear (or two), plant your right foot, and hang on. Triple digit speeds are split seconds away.

No matter what you drive, there will always be faster cars. I don’t care. The RS 4 is certainly the state-of-the-art luxury sports sedan on the road today. Let BMW and MB take their shots. I’m sure the RS 4 will be the standard others try to match for some time to come.

S4Aero

I couldn't agree with you more. My RS4 has now completed 2330 kms over the past two weeks without missing a beat. I've just experienced the "feral" like acceleration from 5,000 to 8,000 rpm...an experience enjoyed as much by the bystanders as myself !!

It is such a complete car.Very docile at 60 kmh and yet ready to snarl whenever the feeling exists.The comfort ,build quality.and performance are simply outstanding.

After two weeks of ownership ,I jumped into my "weekend" car a 996 C4S.By comparison I found my beloved Porsche to have a steering wheel that felt way to skinny,suspension that was significantly firmer,brakes that required a heavy foot and seats that just weren't as comfortable or supportive as my RS4.It honestly took about 30 mins for me to get re-aquainted with the 911.Then I was reminded just how good a car it is.

Before my RS4,I thought my Porsche was a comfortable "daily user" However the RS4 for its intended purpose simply leaves it
    feeling "old fashioned "

Maybe I need to trade the 996 for a 997 GT3 for those days of ten tenths driving ?......that is if I can get out of my RS4

Nice Review!

I like when you say, it will always have faster car... and I don't care. That's the mindset. People always try to put in your face that there's something better somewhere. BS... that's pure jealousy.

And even if it’s no track car, I went on track last week and believe me my copilot was shaking when we left the track. Modified track car owner were REALLY impressed of the speed and handling of the car (even at 4000 pounds). All that with very little piloting knowledge/skills.

So I think we can all agree that BMW, MB (and Lexus for those that like old looking cars) will all have to play catch up for their generation of cars… A true good or even GREAT cars are never compared on a single factor but on the whole and this is where the RS4 stand Grand Champion right now.

:Cheers:

Originally posted by BryanF
    S4Aero

After two weeks of ownership ,I jumped into my "weekend" car a 996 C4S.By comparison I found my beloved Porsche to have a steering wheel that felt way to skinny,suspension that was significantly firmer,brakes that required a heavy foot and seats that just weren't as comfortable or supportive as my RS4.It honestly took about 30 mins for me to get re-aquainted with the 911.Then I was reminded just how good a car it is.
    I also drive a 996 4S : you say the RS4 suspension is more comfortable ? Well, then I guess I should be choosing de SS plus on the RS4 ! I'll do a testdrive within 10 days, I hope the car comes with de SSplus option, although I doubt it.

Man, these reports make me VERY impatient

Re: RS 4 - 3000 mile review

Originally posted by S4Aero
    Most of us will never see 175 MPH on the road.

But it's cool when you do.

S4,

Excellent write up. Great to read about you guys loving your new toy. I was blown away by the RS 4 in Germany, and continue to think it's a great ride. I couldn't be happier for all you guys.

Originally posted by BigRick
    I like when you say, it will always have faster car... and I don't care. That's the mindset. People always try to put in your face that there's something better somewhere. BS... that's pure jealousy.
    Amen!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Great report!

I really love to hear/read about you guys being happy with all your cars. It always gets me dreaming and for little time the feel as I had one of those in my driveway.

Looking forward when I'll get to the bussiness

As for the jealousy think. You couldn't write it better. I live in a country where you have to face it everyday(George can confirm). People just can't stand someones success.

Andrew

Originally posted by Payne

As for the jealousy think. You couldn't write it better. I live in a country where you have to face it everyday(George can confirm). People just can't stand someones success.
    We could have a very long thread about that... I learned one thing in my somewhat short life. Start wishing success to people and admire what they have accomplish then you suddently start having success.

So Payne, I wish you get one soon!

Great to hear! I my , that is all.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

wow guys im happy 4 all of u...these reviews are great but...it make me sad. im sad because i do not have my rs4 that i dream about (not yet atleast) but after reading these great reviews it makes me work harder to get that rs4 of my dreams

Originally posted by BigRick
    We could have a very long thread about that...
    No doubt.

I learned one thing in my somewhat short life. Start wishing success to people and admire what they have accomplish then you suddently start having success.
    Agreed. You see, the problem is that people spend so much time looking at what others have, complaining, gossiping, traducing instead of trying to improve their own lifes, getting better job etc.
    Well.. their problem

So Payne, I wish you get one soon!
    Will be student for couple more years but my branch is yet set(at least I will try to)

Andrew

Great reviews - thanks for thaking the time. BryanF you must have a helluva commute to and from work!!! I am about to hit 2000kms and cant wait to hear the last 1000rpm from 7-8!

I could not agree more on this car. The more I drive and it and get to know it the more things I like about it. The steering is the thing that has taken me the longest to get used to but 1 month in it feels fantastic as I point it in hard at a corner.

I cant fault the build quality. The sports seats take a little while determine the best way to get in and out of - but they are fantastic.

Last week I had a guy taking a video at a wedding in a park stop and video tape my RS4 as I drove past - the bride was not happy!!! LOL They now have 15 seconds of RS4 in the middle of their wedding video.

Again I agree on the ride - I find it far more comortable than my TT yet more sure footed.

This is a great car - and has given me everything that I expected. I caught up with GazzaB on the weekend and while waiting for him outside a convention centre the looks and double takes the car got were amazing - guys were tripping over themselves as they looked back trying to explain to their wives and girlfirends the significance of seeing "one of those RS4s" on the road.

For me the real test is the smile it brings to my face as I unlock it and the fact that when I park, lock the car and walk away...I always have to turn back for one more look.

james

I just reached 9000 km over the weekend with a 2000 km trip.... Sensational!
    It's impossible to describe the pace of the car over motorway long jurneys... I have to admit that rarely I was below the speed limit but I did not hit the limiter many times either!

I decided to have the oil and filters changes as I did not follow Audis reccomandation on the engine brake in...
    I did 1000 km soft but I could not resist after that.

What I love the most is the rumble you get in sixth gear when you put down the accellerator. It seems that the car is standing still but is eating up so much road!!! Unbelivable.

I also love the face of other drivers (porsche Carrera, Cayenne turbo, sporty Mercedes, or M3 that I met so far on my jurneys) when I flash them! They move on the middle lane and nail the accelerator, thinking " I'll smoke this F****r no prob", then you overtake them like if they pulled the handbrake and you can see the lips moving wispering "w@*@t the@*&%"

I get so much joy out of theis little things

In Italy there are also plenty of tunnels... and if you wonder how the hot exaust sounds in one of them at 7000 rpm.... let me tell you about how scared other people gets when they cannot hear their CD any longer!

The last Thing that I would like to mention is the progression this car has....

Driving along with a Tuareg V10 Tdi (monster engine with incredible torque) is possible to realise just how the engine is pulling the car towards insane speeds in a bling of an eye. Entering the motorway and reaching 160kph in third gear is just sublime even more when you see thee paint of the other cars coming off just because you hit warp speed!

How to say how much I love my baby? I don't wish her to be any different than what it is... This is how much I love my RS4 There is no other car for me that does the compromise between sportiness and comfort and between luxury and understatement. Is just so Unique , so RS4

I almost forgot,

I had my first drifting session over wet roads with ESP off. My mouth is watering as soon as I recall the images. I feel like Home for a doughnut aaahhhhh.

It goes sideways with such eaes when you rape the throttle.... Soooooo Much fun. Quattro KIKS

Originally posted by MR USER

I also love the face of other drivers (porsche Carrera, Cayenne turbo, sporty Mercedes, or M3 that I met so far on my jurneys) when I flash them! They move on the middle lane and nail the accelerator, thinking " I'll smoke this F****r no prob", then you overtake them like if they pulled the handbrake and you can see the lips moving wispering "w@*@t the@*&%"
    This is so True... You can see the tears in their eyes!

Originally posted by MR USER

Entering the motorway and reaching 160kph in third gear is just sublime even more when you see thee paint of the other cars coming off just because you hit warp speed!
    Couldn't say it better... Warp speed it is!

Cheers