Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: From RS 6 to S6

I've been thinking about the S6 since having a go at it on the track. Its not a speed demon for track use, but it definately works if someone needs a comfy car with a sporty attitude, especially on long journeys. Of course the Bentley CGT does it better, but there's no alternative if you go for the Avant. Until the RS6 - even if it only has 520HP.

PS. OMG - I never thought I'd say that a car has only 520HP.
    2007 RS4 Avant | Misano | Black Optics | SS+
    2001 S3 | Ebony

I think that new RS 6 is going to have 520 hp N/A engikne, becouse Audi never ''jumped'' from its competion to much.

Having in mind that its two main rivals have 507 and 514 hps, both are N/A, I just can's fight the feeling that new RS 6 is going to be equiped with anything more than,

5.2 V10 520 hp.

Once again, I have to say that more than anything in the world, I would be like that I am wrong!

Will have to wait to see.

Andy,

I am sure that Audi have been testing both N/A 5.2L RS6s and twin-turbo 5.2L RS6s, but it wouldn't be the first time that up to release everyone including the dealers, magazines and people like us have been sure that it will be one thing and the company do another just at the last minute, maybe a change of mind but more likely the other was just a decoy to throw everyone off the scent including the competition.

I think enough said, lets all wait and see.
    Search and you will find the truth.

RS6 will have at least 550-560HP (even Auto motor und Sport Magazine from Germany told that in their magazine) so don't expect for a simple RS6 with just a liitle bit more performance than the rivals:IT WILL BE A MONSTER,THE FASTER 4 DOOR SALOON IN THE WORLD!!!!
    Clarkson said when he drove the S6 that the new RS6 will be much more faster and much more agile from his rivals(because he felt the shassy so well,the handling so sublime, so perfect car)...you'll see guys...just 2 months off...come on people, wait cause he's coming...the king is coming...and by the way did anyone knows that it will be an RS8?Developing over 600HP (from the 6.0 W12 engine)!!!yes it's real...so Audi is planning to kick BMW and MB asses...very soon...M3 is allready eaten by the RS4, the new RS6 will eat the M5 and the new RS8 will eat the MB S63 AMG...so cruel,so fast,so AUDI...no so NASTY...AUDI TO BRING THE BEST HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS IN THE WORLD!

I hope superstar is right. I must admit that I am new to the Audi party (owning a VW phaeton and two V10 touaregs got me on board.) I must say that as an Audi outsider, I sure sense a mounting Audi momentum.

I would be hugely disappointed if Audi doesn't twin turbo the V10.

(Yesterday my dealer was saying he thinks the R8 will carry the N/A V10 @520hp. He claims the TTV10 will find its way under the RS6 hood with many lighter components like fenders/hood. He did scare me a bit when he said US pricing will start at $110,000. )

Leadfoot...

We will have to wait and see, and I am hoping that you are wright and I am wrong, but...

More than 520 hp, I doubt...

man i just wanna say that i'm european and you are american, audi RS cars are MADE IN GERMANY , and only a few people know about what will be next, those people are invited to special training shows on Audi A.G. in Ingolstadt to know what's next...i just believe those guys who actually knows what's next on Audi, who were on Germany at the training's and those magazines who ACTUALLY LEAVES IN GERMANY and spyshot the car and their performances...sub 550Hp it will not be...it will be upper then this ...560 or 580HP...NO KIDDING...YOU'LL SEE I'M RIGHT...AUDI IS ON THE WAY TO DESTROY REPUTATION OF M5...i can bett with you that RS6 will have more then 550HP at least...wanna bet?))

I am european to, so is Leadfoot...

More than half of members here are europeans, this is EURO-based forum, (SWEDEN) !

And, still, I am HOPING for that ''super-strong'' RS 6, but I don't expect that to hapend...

i'm neither european or american, but i believe that the technical difficulties with a tt v10 in a c6 would be immense. heat is a big enough problem with our tt c5's, even with a 0.8 bar boost. assuming the same level of boost for the v10 would only produce around the 520bhp mark anyway. this number is attainable with a n/a v10 as both audi and lamborghini know full well. and this does without the weight and cooling penalties of a tt.

the key issue is whether this n/a engine would be allowed with lamborghini still with this bhp in the gallardo.

one thing that might happen is the long-anticipated bhp increase for the gallardo, followed by the 520bhp engine for the rs6.

believe me, if you have haven't driven the rs4, you will not know what a peach of an engine the v8 is, and what audi would be able to do with the v10.

also, 520bhp is more than the competition, and that would be enough i believe, especially if the weight of the car is kept under control...

if the "ok" from lamborghini isn't happening, then the tt route would be the obvious alternative. that way the italians can retain bragging rights, at least with n/a.

for those who think i'm overstating this issue, i can summarise it in 2 letters, "r" and "8"...

can't wait....
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

skiwi,

520hp will no be enough to keep in front of the M5 and E63, it took the old RS6 an extra 50hp to do that. If it was not to achieve anymore than that then the only way to stay in front would be to lose some weight, but when you take into consideration that fact that awd does that extra power from the wheels the weight the RS6 would have to shed would be in the regions of 200kgs over the S6.

Now tell me which would be the easiest and the cheapest way to achieved to end results?

No doubt the heat will be a difficult problem to overcome, but I think it would be the easier option as reducing that amount of weight though it will do wonders for the handling would be extremely expensive especially on a model that was only 2 years or so away from replacement.

I think that Weight is going to be saved comparing to a S6, as I said many times before, in todays world you MUST have luxury in your cars in order to sell it, how ever useless it be.

Luxury = big weight...

RS 6 is going to be good, fast, and beautifull, 5.2 V10 520 hp...

but not much better than M5 and E 63 AMG...

I hope I am wrong, I HOPE ... !!!

I hope I am wrong, I HOPE ... !!!
    Hello Andy,

your hope has been received.

Qisha

ok guys if someone will not believe me that the new RS6 will have at least 550HP shall he regret that he didn't trust in audi so well...someone in this world is upper than we think, actually someone knows the details of the new RS6 and i found the information on him...so like i heard...V10, Bi-turbo,Tiptronic-S,DRC II,ceramic brakes and carbon fiber elements!

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Hello Andy,

your hope has been received.

Qisha
    Thank you very much !

Andy and Leadfoot, I am not sure why it always seems like the topic gets hijacked. As far as all of us know, Audi has yet to commit to the engine format of the RS6. Yes they vehemently state that there will be an RS6, and that is all. And I agree, that a minimum of 500hp is going to be required, and given the quattro and weight, more towards 530hp or more. The last RS6 was 120hp more than the S6, and I expect the same this time. As far as solutions, a normally aspirated V10 from audi should be able to make at least 525hp (given the formula for the 4.2 FSI making 420hp). That is in the ballpark, and with some weight reduction (aka dropping the DRC, giving the RS6 a suspension similar to the S8), a few more carbon fiber panels (ie hood, decklid, fenders maybe), can keep the weight to around the S6. Bigger brakes, bigger wheels, wider tires all weigh more, period. More aluminum in the subframes for example (ie front or rear) can drop 50-100lbs, and still be possible to build without a major redesign or a new line. Same with CF parts, just swap them in. Audi needs to be able to build it on the current lines, to keep costs contained. A huge part of the cost of the R8 is its unique assembly (and also all those expensive lightweight parts). Even so, development costs were kept down thanks to the gallardo.

And as far as being European or American, that has no value in adding to the forum, we are all car people, and we try to relay any accurate information we get. I live 20miles from the US headquarters, have many friends that work for VAG US (AoA), and Detroit is still one of the hubs of the auto industry. Remember, Audi borrows heavily from Alcoa, for all of its aluminum technology and manufacturer and Alcoa is a US company. Just a point. Andy, Leadfoot, Knight, the rest of you, please chime in.

Peace,
    Noushy

Peace
    Last edited by noushy; January 14th, 2007 at 18:41. Reason: Typo errors
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

noushy,

I know what you mean, someone always seems to take a different direction and all of a sudden we are talking about something totally different.

Back to the Audi RS6, I reckon the Qisha knows what he is talking about when he says that it will be over the 550hp mark, to all knowledgeable people on the forum that is what it would need if it's weight was to stay the same as the S6 to better the M5 and E63 in the acceleration stakes. But as you rightly state Audi are quite knowledged with alloy and could easily make the parts at a resonible price and keep the car on target regarding the overall price.

I am unsure as to how much weight the DRC system would be over something like the Magnetic Ride or Air suspension systems, the former should be the lighter, there are alloy wheels out there that weigh quite a bit lighter than the standard one like that on the new 997Turbo but these will have more of an effect on handling and steering feel than acceleration. The sub-frames if I am right are already partly made of alloy on the A6 so there isn't going to be a huge saving here neither. The choice of alloy or CF panels could be used but Porsche have shown that using the right type of steel can greatly reduce the weight without resorting to alloy.

I feel that power will be the most likely option for Audi though I reckon there will be an adoption of all of the above to try and improve the driving appeal closer to that of the RS4 without losing the luxury that customers of this sector look for.

Leadfoot, on the topic of wheels, you are absolutely right. My M6 wheels are extremely light, given the hollow spoke pattern, and forged alloy. I have 18 inch cast aluminum wheels for the winter tires, and they weight almost 10 pounds more than the summer 19 inch stock wheels. Saving 40lbs, especially unsprung does make a difference, and it will all add up.

Peace,
    Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Weight is issue no. 1, that is certain, S6 isn't Mister slim, at all, but without some radical changes, I just don't see a way to cut it down.

They certanly want go down the ''race way'', and put CF every where they can, and they 100% want ditch all that luxury gizmos, that are more than useles.

As you guys said, we aren't in the position to discus to much about this, we are ''outsiders'' not ';insiders'', but I am making my assumptions based on the curent situation on the world care market, and more than that, on the moment in the VAG, Porsche is coming and Panamera is on ''full throtle'' preparation.

Once again, I would like to see new RS 6 in all it's glory, packed with some ''monster'' V10 turbo engine, and everything elsre that comes with that.

Months ahead of us will show what is ''cooking''.

All best, Andy !