Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: From RS 6 to S6

From RS 6 to S6

Is anybody done this ''conversion'', or maybe has plans to do so?

Is anybody planing to buy new S6 anyway, it looks like no body likes/wants this car. I can't remeber any car that has 5.2 V10 435 hp power unit and SO COLD reception.

What is wrong with it?

Is any of former C5 RS 6 owner will be satifiyed with new C6 S6 and it's, i have to say, fantastic V10 engine?

I think people are wanting 6-Speeds in performance cars. BMW is bringing a stick M5 to the U.S. because the SMG II gear box sucks. I tried to sell my S4 with the Tippy trans for 5 months. I could have unloaded it in 1 weekend if it was a stick. I really think if the S6 was a stick it would sell out.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Here in Switzerland some dealers had already get the S6 now, on Friday I'll do the first test drive with the S6. After it, I'll decide to buy one or not. But for me I think it's better with automatic gear box, its a 365 day car and I want to use it sporty or for the family or to cruise along. And for that I think automatic is better. I'll see on Friday...
    91 Honda CRX EE8 V-TEC
    93 Audi V8 4.2 quattro
    93 Audi S2 Avant
    05 Peugeot Jet Force 125 Compressor

I think that the car will provide performance numbers that are just a tidbit below the RS6's (look at my post about the new S8) Maybe the car just isn't flashy enough. I have found that on most auto forums, people that have an older car and a new version of their car is coming out, the sometimes "hate" on the new car to "protect" their older car. I think that the S6 will be fine.

The thing i want to point out here is that this car is somehow forgoten here, maybe overlooked, i don't now, we are spending ALOT more space discusing other car brands and ''weting'' over some, IMHO, stupid cars, this is performance Audi, it's modern, well built has that FANTASTIC engine and we don't like it.

Maybe i am the only one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s6_c6_10.jpg 
Views:	2306 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	4045  

You know, I really think that the lack of video as well as photographic material, test drives, reviews from the forum users...etc...etc, has a lot to do with it. How about the old S6, was it just as overlooked as this one ?

Cheers,

Javier

Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
    You know, I really think that the lack of video as well as photographic material, test drives, reviews from the forum users...etc...etc, has a lot to do with it. How about the old S6, was it just as overlooked as this one ?

Yes it was, but both C5 S6 with 4.2 V8 340 hp and C6 S6 with 5.2 V10 435 hp, are very good cars, i don't understand.

Interesting thing in all this is that no body is even saying that want to have this new S6, exept,

audirs6.ch, of course.

I also think it is a matter of timing. The reception for the B7 RS4 has been quite overwhelming to be honest...and it overshadowed the launch of the S6. The S8 also took more kudos away from the S6 too.

I think becasue of the nature of the RS4 the written press was spoilt by how good it was and therefore was somewhat disspointed that the S6 in the way that it wasn't a bigger RS4. The S6 was never going to be like this.

I really like the S6 and can't wait to catch a ride in one!
    Mite have to have a word with the dealer....

Taran
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Originally posted by chewym
    I have found that on most auto forums, people that have an older car and a new version of their car is coming out, the sometimes "hate" on the new car to "protect" their older car. I think that the S6 will be fine.
    Excellent point.

Originally posted by AndyBG

The thing i want to point out here is that this car is somehow forgoten here, maybe overlooked, i don't now, we are spending ALOT more space discusing other car brands and ''weting'' over some, IMHO, stupid cars, this is performance Audi, it's modern, well built has that FANTASTIC engine and we don't like it.

Maybe i am the only one...

Excellent, excellent point.

I'm guilty of both. With that said, I am not getting the new S6. Reasons:

1: My RS 6 has 24 months to go and then it is paid off 100%!
    2: New S6 is 300lbs heavier than my RS 6.
    3: The new S6 make less hp and torque than my RS 6 and therefor slower (not by much).
    4: Last and least importantly, it gets even worse fuel economy.

The new S6 is great and all, but it's hardly a RS 6 replacement. The new S6 is a S6 replacement.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Hmm, have not myself driven the new S6 yet, but a friend of mine has been on board as a passenger (not driven) and his reports - incidentally not tainted by car mags - is strikingly similar to want to read in the mags.

So yes, the new S6 is probably a very good car just as you would expect. However, it is apparently less sporty and frankly less special than you would image and hope for and not Audi's ultimate RS top gun in the segment and this is a selective audience remember and - secondly - the car is so new that hardly any of us have had the chance to drive it ourselves yet. Indeed, the new A6 4.2 V8 FSI 350PS is also a good car (I have myself driven the the 335PS non-FSI version). Yet, it never seriously crossed my mind to write about it here or indeed buy one.

Here I am

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

So, Erik, what ''commander in chief'' of this forum says about new C6 S6, how does it perform?

I only drove it for a short while.

A VERY short conclusion. If you're coming from an RS6 you will notice:

1) Car is much more modern inside.

2) The car is not as fast. It is NOT an Audi A6 with a Gallardo engine, at least you will never notice it.

It's an Autobahn cruiser, and a very good one. It is not a sports car.

The LEDs are very cool.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Actually, we've been considering the new S6 as an addition to our little stable. The S8 and S6 are both on the short list we are considering for our next car, though in addition to and not as a replacement for our current RS6.

The new S6 looks like a fabulous car, especially the engine. Not a match for an RS car, but then it's not supposed to be. A good compromise between family cruiser and performance. My wife is quite excited about checking it out when they arrive in a few months.

My only hesitation about the new S6 is that the suspension from initial reports may be quite unfriendly for those of us who drive a lot on roads that are less than ideal -- that is, who live outside of Germany. The S6 has a fairly taught conventional suspension, good for handling smooth roads but very harsh on rough or uneven pavement or over potholes. Note that the S8 will have an adjustable air suspension that may be more compliant. The RS4 of course has the DRC inherited from the RS6, which also allows a broader mix of comfort and performance.

So, why is the new S6 the Rodney Dangerfield of new, performance Audis? I agree it's probably a combination of RS4's large shadow, S8 near-contemporaneous launch, and styling that is more stealthy than the current market seems to want from it's performance cars. Also, the S6 is literally in the middle of the pack - mid-size, neither A nor RS, sporty but not truly sporting, expensive but not insane. If anything, all the hype over the Lambo-derived engine has probably raised expectations higher than would be warranted for an S6 (as opposed to RS6), at least among the automotive press. It's a car to please many, not to inspire a few.

We'll have to see what happens when the car finally arrives. Should be a sleeper. If lack of hype keeps the prices down, even better.
    Last edited by SoCal; July 20th, 2006 at 22:16.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

I also think that because the way Audi positions its cars, the S6 should compared to the BMW 550i and the newer MB E550. Those two cars with V-8 make less horsepower nad torque (BMW 360hp and 360 pounds of torque) (MB 382hp 391 lb-ft) Compared with those two cars the S6 is much sportier but a bit more expensive. In a comparison test with those two cars the S6 would probably win. When the S6 is compared with the M5 and E63, it is the least sporty car in that group. That puts the S6 with no direct competition which might make it seem forgotten to the press and the automotive community. I also agree because the RS4 has been so impressive, it has taken most of attention of people who are passionate about high performance Audis.

Originally posted by chewym
    I also think that because the way Audi positions its cars, the S6 should compared to the BMW 550i and the newer MB E550. Those two cars with V-8 make less horsepower nad torque (BMW 360hp and 360 pounds of torque) (MB 382hp 391 lb-ft) Compared with those two cars the S6 is much sportier but a bit more expensive. In a comparison test with those two cars the S6 would probably win. When the S6 is compared with the M5 and E63, it is the least sporty car in that group. That puts the S6 with no direct competition which might make it seem forgotten to the press and the automotive community.
    Good point. Audi's tiering of A, S and RS often doesn't quite match up with the direct competition, since BMW and MB both have usually several different engine types in most cars and a single M/AMG level above. And the RS cars (thankfully) are a relative rarity, which puts more incentive on the automotive press to compare the S models to the top-line sportier competition.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

The new S6 is not an RS6 replacement. I loved my old 4.2 S6, but once the RS6 appeared and I test drove one, the S6 was very much a second best.

I love my RS6, but as it nears the end of its warranty, the worries of how much replacement parts would cost should the inevitable happen to suspension or gearbox, coupled with the impending cost or replaceing brakes, tyres, and a cambelt change make a change of vehicle advisable. If I got an S6, sooner or later it would be the second best 6 and I'd want the new RS6, probably with a body shape past its sell-by date.

This doesn't leave much to choose from. I test drove the M5 and found it horrible. To describe the looks from the outside as vial, doesn't leave a suitable adjective to describe the inside. Merc dealers in this country are dreadful and I've got used to being treated as a valuable customer by the three Audi dealers I've had cars from. We also have more than our fair shade of rain in the NW UK, so 4wd is a practical must.

I went down the S8 route for a number of reasons. Firstly, its not going to be outdone by an RS8 and will continue to be the 'latest body shape' for a number of years. Secondly, most of my distance miles are motorway and I reckon very little can compare with it there. My RS6 is quite uncomfortable on local roads, which have been blighted by substandard repairs for years and had I been the proud owner of a set of false teeth, would have spent considerable time picking them up out of the floor wells. I suspect that the suspension of the S8 will cope with these roads better. I can live with the performance drop, as a couple of a tenths of a second only really matters on the race track and in the pub! Passengers and police would soon be complaining if I maxed the RS6 on public roads. The S8 is also loaded to the roof with toys and to spec an S6 to this level would actually cost the same as the S8 has, with the generous deal the dealer has given me for an early order. (In actuallity, an A8 4.2 diesel specced to the same level would have cost more!)

Originally posted by Kev.S
    I love my RS6, but as it nears the end of its warranty, the worries of how much replacement parts would cost should the inevitable happen to suspension or gearbox, coupled with the impending cost or replaceing brakes, tyres, and a cambelt change make a change of vehicle advisable.
    I'm in that exact boat. But economically, it makes far more sense for me to keep the RS 6 than to trade for a S8/new RS 6. Why? I have one year left on the warranty, and two years left of payments, so that puts me one year out in the cold before the car is all paid off. However, once the car is paid off, despite the expensive maintenance, it will be much cheaper to shell out the occasional $3K here, $4K there, than have to pay $865.00 every single month. And I suspect most RS 6 owners have higher payments yet!

Getting an S8/RS 6 will likey cost $100K+ Stateside, and even with a huge down payment, I'd be looking at $1000.00+ monthly payments. That hardly gives me peice of mind (having "free" maintenance). I could afford to pay $6K every year in maintenance costs (which I most certainly don't think I will) and still be way ahead of the game...

Originally posted by Kev.S

I went down the S8 route for a number of reasons. Firstly...
    Now those reasons are hard to argue with.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan