Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I picked up an 05 S600 last month and I cannot believe how badly it smokes my RS6.

Re: Re: Sounds good to me. Wasn't too sure on the S55 but I knew the S600 didn't use it.

Originally posted by BBGT2
    AFAIK all AMG cars use the 5speed due to torque handling issues, dont know about the new AMG63 series though. The early ones though had to use the AMG tuned 5 speed gearbox, whereas all the other Non-AMG cars had the 7speed slushbox starting in 2005 I think.

Bajo
    All 63 AMGs use the new 7 speed tranny....

the 63 doesn't have the same kinda torque as the old compressor V8 AMG's.
    Bart de Bont

2007 - Alfa Romeo 159 (Nero Oceano)
    2006 - 8PA Sportback (Lava grey)

2005 - B7 A4 Avant (quarts grey) - totalled
    1998 - Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD (cosmo blue) - sold

so.....what's the decision???

DaveyKid-
    Fascinating observations and candid, I might add. As some of you may recall, I sold my (ex-dearly beloved) RS6 after owning it for only 3 months, due to spare part problems, DRC, dealer issues, etc. RIP. No hard feelings, just sorry to see it go; waay too much trouble.

Have been mulling over what to buy in the meantime waiting for the next RS6 (whenever it comes out). Now...this observation from someone as qualified and objective as DaveyKid (I'm an ex-Chitown boy myself) that suggests the perhaps an E55 or an S55 may be a damn good alternative. Hmmmmm. Drove the M5; couldn't stand the SMG for daily driving, etc. Any reliability, spare parts issues, other issues with either the E55 or S55 that anyone can advise regarding, please?

All advise and thoughts are greatly appreciated, Gentlemen. Thanks.

Dave what is your experience with MB service, if any?

Can MB fix a suspension the first time LOL.....

Sounds like a very fun car, but it should be for $50,000.00 more than the RS6.

Enjoy......

Mike

Re: so.....what's the decision???

Originally posted by chutia
    Any reliability, spare parts issues, other issues with either the E55 or S55 that anyone can advise regarding, please?
    MB has had initial quality issues of late and has been falling in the consumer ratings as a result, both in US and Germany. Even AMG cars (though C class was worst) have some issues. On the E-class, electronics seem to be an area of frequent concern. I know at least one loyal Benz owner with an E55 - his 8th Mercedes, on which he took German delivery and then had shipped to US - who had so many problems coupled with bad dealer service that he's looking at a different brand for his next car for the first time he can remember.

Too early to tell how the new S-class will rate for reliability. I hope that MB rectifies the problems they seem to have had since the Chrysler merger.

Honestly, most German cars other than Porsche have some reliability issues compared to Japanese brands, though we love our cars when they work right. I feel lucky personally not to have had many issues on my Audi like some others, but the overall brand stats speak for themselves.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

Sorry Doc, didn't see your last post.

I haven't had any problems with MB service and/or reliability. In fact, when I do have a problem and it's somewhat questionable, like when my door close assist vacuum pump went, even though my last MB S600 prior to this one was out of warranty, they ate half the cost as a goodwill gesture.

I guess it depends on which dealer you have and how kind you are to them.
    2004 Porsche 996TT X50 Speed Yellow
    2007 Porsche Cayman S Arctic Silver
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue
    2004 VW R32 Tornado Red (My Track Slut)
    2007 Yukon XL Denali Summit White
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 "Scooter"

Sorry, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. Maybe a better comparison would be with the Bentley GT.

I said it wasn't a fair comparison in a subsequent post.

I could compare it to an E55 AMG but the gap would only widen. Granted, I'd much rather be in my RS6 come winter time around here! (Although my RS6 doesn't see winters.)
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue

OMG lol can you have any more cars first off CGDZ on your S600 its a great car. The reasons for the RS6 being so poor in that whole line thing is because of the four wheel drive, the v8 even though it super and Mercs v12 have TONS of torque good for the train anyways love that car and the new one is just as good.
    Audi is a true young mans car

Re: The RS6 and my R32 I think are my best looking cars.

Originally posted by DaveyKid
    The R32 is lowered and it gives it that wide aggressive look, plus the fenders are flared like the RS6. No doubt my RS6 is my favorite car.
    DaveyKid, it's interesting to see HPA R32 in your collection, how this car goes? I am considering to buy a Golf V R32(DSG) then mod to HPA 450hp version for my wife, is that too harsh for a normal driver.
    I myself has RS6 and Mini Cooper S and MB ML in my garage, I may have to sell MCS to trade R32, I love the hadleing of MCS on twisties, how does HPA HT 450 handle?

Re: The S600 does not have the new 7 speed transmission. Too much

... I expected the RS6 to have the advantage off the line but even with wheel spin the S600 is so much faster the wheel spin was negated by the additional pulling power.
    the s600 was spinning and still made the rs6 look like it was standing still?

i think the driver of the rs6 was underqualified.

The 450 kit isn't too harsh for street driving, but.....

everything else you inevitably do to it will be. You can't just throw that much HP in the car and leave alone the stock suspension, brakes, Haldex, etc...

In the end, it truly becomes a "Track Slut"!
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue

Re: So I picked up an 05 S600 last month and I cannot believe how badly it smokes my RS6.

Oh well, so my RS6 is now my 3rd fastest in my driveway. Oh yeah, did i mention my R32 is now HPA turbocharged? 450 horses in a nice small 2900 pound package.
    you mean the HPA tuned IV R32 is the fastest? Do you put Haldex controller? Which version (blue or orange)?
    How fast this little monster could be on the straight line? And how it handles on twisties?

Straight line, I'd say the R32 and the S600 are neck in neck, both beating the RS6.

I'm running the orange Haldex, or "Agent Orange". Car is dialed in for the track. Running KW V3, even though I've already blown out both front KW's. May have to go to their competition series next.
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue

Daveykid, I can't hold myself back anymore, I want to order V R32 & HPA HT 450 today
    Thanks for reply