Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to pick up my RS4 tomorrow, but I have a major concern..

Originally posted by clam
    You'll have a better understanding of combustion engines than some people who spend 5 years in engineering school learing how to uncritically memorize pieces of information, in return for a piece of paper with a stamp and a signature.
    I wasn't deferring to new engineering grads for information. Careful controlled studies of the various breakin techniques, by any individual, group, or organization, would be helpful. Motoman's articles and evidence are compelling, but it is all anecdotal. I am inclined to believe it, nonetheless, and assume that Audi has taken care of the critical parts of the engine breakin before they deliver the cars to us. Being that critical it would no doubt affect their warranty costs (and reputation) not to do so.

Cheers,

Larry

dxben,
    Dont worry about the mileage and enjoy the car, as far as the clutch is concerned keep your foot off of it after shifting and dont rev the engine and drop the clucth and you will be fine.
    I believe my RS6 came with around 40-50 miles when delivered to me. Yes Quattro gmbh drove it and the dealer did a couple of miles, but I told them (dealer) I did not want anyone else besides the tech driving the car when it came in of the truck.
    Either way just enjoy the hell out of it.

Bajo

The best advice I've heard ... drive and enjoy the car ... don't get overly worked up about break-in ... just exercies common sense ... don't ride the clutch ... don't drive up Sacramento Street at 30 mph in 6th ... don't rev drop ... don't start the car and immediately redline the first three gears ... right ... these cars are engineered for us ... we like having a well appointed car that gets us from point A to B 90% of the time ... the other 10% ... drive it like andretti (obviously observing all of your local driving restrictions) ... and remember ... OT ... your tech doesn't want to loose his/her job ... most of these guys go through lots and lots of training to make more and more $ ... they have good jobs in the auto world and are paid well ... 95% of them are as 'in love' with your car as you are ... give em a break ... they're most likely not taking your car out for a 'joy ride' when you take it in (sorta hard to say that anyone behind the wheel of an RS4 is not on a joy ride ... regardless of driving habit) ... they need to drive your car ... most insurance demands a pre-delivery test. Don't reset your clock ... they just laugh at you afterward.

My RS4 had 45 miles on it ... a buddy had 10 ... Audi is driving 10 out of X cars before loading them in the container ... plus you can add a few extra miles for a high line car because they are shipped in smaller quantities and dealers are forced to use off schedule haulers to get the car to the dealership (this means a few more miles to get the car on the truck) ... My Gallardo had 90 miles ... My Gransport had 113 miles.

Sorry for the US centric post

K2