Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sport auto out today - RS4 Nürburgring time included

Don't forget that the M3 has a good weight balance, while the RS4 has a V8 hanging over the front wheels. The front tyres have to work a lot harder. No amount of suspension tuning can get the weight off the front. They can only compensate.

Audi has been able to eliminate the understeer, and it has done that by leveling out the grip balance. Not by making the front tyres grip more, but by making the rear tryes grip less. This pulls the car straight in the corners, but comes at a price. You're not using the full potential of the tyres.

Another way to compensate would be aerodynamics, or extra weight on the rear. That giant air scoop on the front of Audi S1 rally cars was there to push the front into the ground, but it wouldn't be practical for the RS4. And you pay the price in aerodynamic drag.
    Extra weight on the rear, also, isn't something the RS4 needs. You would pay the price in acceleration.

Untill the B8 platform gets here, the Audis will always be disadvantaged by their weight balance. It's not something you can work around. Every attempt to compensate will have a negative effect on something else.

With the weight balance, the overall weight, and the tyres, the time of the CSL is easily explained.

That's a really good time. With the crappy weight distribution of the A4, we can say the work of quattro Gmbh to develop the RS4 is really good.

I think that Audi want to be the sportiest car maker for the next years (it's what they clame).

What I've read about the upcoming RS5 is incredibly promising !

- aluminium ASF
    - the new B8 platform with perfect weight ballance
    - 500 hp
    - 7 speed DSG
    - 40/60 quattro with Torsen C

I hope they add the DRC.

Well... perhaps we will have the best serial car here. I think this new RS5 will be a lot faster than any BMW, and a direct competitor of the porsche turbo.

The CSL time is not surprising me : with a light weigt car and slick tires, there is no surprise. An RS4 with 200 kg lighter and slick tire will be as quicker, perhaps faster than this CSL (quattro is an real advatage)...

Wait and see...

Gaby

According to a magazine which interviewed Walter Rohrl, he was able to drive the new Porsche 997 GT3 in 7.42.

That's "only" 8 seconds better than the previous GT3.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by clam

With the weight balance, the overall weight, and the tyres, the time of the CSL is easily explained.
    Originally posted by Erik
    According to a magazine which interviewed Walter Rohrl, he was able to drive the new Porsche 997 GT3 in 7.42.
    That's "only" 8 seconds better than the previous GT3.
    Bingo, good points

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

The lower the time gets on the ring the harder it is to shave of time. Soon the cars will manage plenty better times but the drivers will not deliver Stefan bellof was a mad man!

As i guessed in the thread" RS4 nurburgring time " i was one second off, my guess was 8,08 Others was close as well guessing it time.

Now i want to hear what Buyalemon has to say, im sure he said RS4 was into smoking the of date CSL

Put corsa tiers on M5 and its faster than RS4 on the ring i guess.

Put cups on the RS4 and the time will not differ in any way to talk about. Put Corsa on CSL and its the same.

Peopel never driven the ring have hard to understand how hard it is to get a car under 8 on the full lap, they that driven there some undertand that even 8,09 is super time. BMW engineers have a very high level of knowlede of the ring, back in the days it was just them developing cars there, now the most is at the ring doing their thing. I know its hard for peopel to understand how truley special the CSL is, its not just the cup pulling it around in 7,50!!

GT3 380hp did lap 7,54 in street tiers. The GT3 RS lap in 7,48 in r-tiers. Horst is just showing in some way what potential a car has, other drivers go even faster, but Horst drive most so its as i always said the most fair it will ever get. If new GT3 go 7,42 its strong what ever the tiers its on.

I just now came from the ring and did do full lap in stock CSL in 8,20 to shave of 30second im sure it will keep me occupied for years to come as im just down at most once a year. Its scary but fun

:trash:
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
    The lower the time gets on the ring the harder it is to shave of time. Soon the cars will manage plenty better times but the drivers will not deliver Stefan bellof was a mad man!

As i guessed in the thread" RS4 nurburgring time " i was one second off, my guess was 8,08 Others was close as well guessing it time.

Now i want to hear what Buyalemon has to say, im sure he said RS4 was into smoking the of date CSL

Put corsa tiers on M5 and its faster than RS4 on the ring i guess.

Put cups on the RS4 and the time will not differ in any way to talk about. Put Corsa on CSL and its the same.

Peopel never driven the ring have hard to understand how hard it is to get a car under 8 on the full lap, they that driven there some undertand that even 8,09 is super time. BMW engineers have a very high level of knowlede of the ring, back in the days it was just them developing cars there, now the most is at the ring doing their thing. I know its hard for peopel to understand how truley special the CSL is, its not just the cup pulling it around in 7,50!!

GT3 380hp did lap 7,54 in street tiers. The GT3 RS lap in 7,48 in r-tiers. Horst is just showing in some way what potential a car has, other drivers go even faster, but Horst drive most so its as i always said the most fair it will ever get. If new GT3 go 7,42 its strong what ever the tiers its on.

I just now came from the ring and did do full lap in stock CSL in 8,20 to shave of 30second im sure it will keep me occupied for years to come as im just down at most once a year. Its scary but fun

:trash:
    Horst will not go 7,42 in new GT3, he will add some seconds i think.
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Looking at Walter Rohrl's best times at the Ring and considering he is one of the best drivers around - the RS4 8:09 done by the Sport Auto fella is a good time - on par with 997 Carrera S 8:05 and Cayman S 8.11 - driven by Rohrl

- now what time could Walter produce with the RS4?
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Was watching F1 at the weekend and was interested in the grid times. If you compare pole position with 4th on the grid, that is basically the difference between the time the RS4 did around the ring and the time of the 997 Carerra S, when you multiply the times up. Now that shows how little there is between any of this cars.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    Was watching F1 at the weekend and was interested in the grid times. If you compare pole position with 4th on the grid, that is basically the difference between the time the RS4 did around the ring and the time of the 997 Carerra S, when you multiply the times up. Now that shows how little there is between any of this cars.
    Have in mind the 997s was lapping 8,05 whit street tiers. It would go just under 8 whit the same r-compound that RS4 was driven on, Pzero Corsa.
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Fair point.

I wonder what time Sabine ( the ring taxi driver) would get with the RS4?
    she must be the most experienst driver on the ring.

Originally posted by M!
    I wonder what time Sabine ( the ring taxi driver) would get with the RS4?
    Yes. We stayed in her house two years ago. We had the RS6 Avant with us and she was going to drive it. Unfortunately we had a flat tire so that time it wasn't possible.

But I'm happy to report that our "Mr Stig" was able to over take the M5 E39 Ring Taxi. Claudia (?) was driving the M5, but she's also a race driver. The only mod to the RS6 Avant was Corsa tires.
    Unfortunately he pulled the plug on the video, he's better at driving than electronics...it would have been a great video!

All show...still full go!

I made an interesting discovery.

The BMW M5 made 269 Km/h over Doettinger Hoehe. Pretty fast for a "restricted" car

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...b_e.asp?Car=81

The RS4 made 252 km/h over the same passage.

The E60 M5 limiter kicks in at 270 km/h. Which may show up as 269 km/h on Sport Auto's V-Box.

Originally posted by Erik
    I made an interesting discovery.

The BMW M5 made 269 Km/h over Doettinger Hoehe. Pretty fast for a "restricted" car

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...b_e.asp?Car=81

The RS4 made 252 km/h over the same passage.
    M5 Limiter is at 250, why dont you ask SoulbladeZA on Cartoday to tell you... his dad owns one and he gets to drive it often.

Well, I have seen few times that M5 & M6 limiter kicks in round 270km/h. So I believe that is the reason.

Originally posted by Speedou
    Well, I have seen few times that M5 & M6 limiter kicks in round 270km/h. So I believe that is the reason.
    Though BMW state a top speed of 155mph, in the UK most of the mags quote the top speed as 165mph saying that BMW has easied the limiter on all M cars so they are a little faster than the normal range. So I believe the 269kph shown.

Lets face it, Audi's limiter have always gone higher than the 155mph quoted. It's a silly agreement between the German companies, as for Porsche, they just forgot to fit theirs.

I totally agree