Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lexus IS500

New Lexus IS500

Rumours about an M3-crunching Lexus IS500 are gaining momentum.

First, a disguised IS prototype with a much larger engine and accompanying brutal noise was seen lapping the Nurnburg Ring.

Second, at the Dealer Launch of the new IS last September in the South of France, European dealers were told that although the IS350 would not be sold in Europe, a more powerful high performance version of the new IS would be added to the range in 2007 for the 2008 model year.

Third, a coupe version of the new IS is scheduled for launch and a speculative shot was published. Shortly after this a proper spy shot of the car was taken.

Fourth, Lexus introduced its new flagship 5.0 litre V8 at the New York show in its flagship model, the LS600h.

What was also noteworthy about this engine is that it was mated to a new AWD system and an advanced CVT system. It is possible the the IS500 could come with AWD and be mated to the new 8-Speed automatic gearbox.

I am excited about this car. I think it will be a real alternative to the RS4 as well as the M3. Of course, Lexus doesn't have Audi's experience with Quattro AWD, but look how far it's come in 18 months. These are guys on a mission.

I guess we can expect a Detroit or Geneva 2007 launch.

First pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lexusis500-2.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	3745  

Second pic:

(This is clearly a photoshop based on LF-A, but it is based on "eye witnesses" who have actually seen the car)

Name:	6051205.001.mini6m.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	3746  

Third pic:

(Spy shot of the real thing (apparently). I hope the IS500 will be available as a saloon/ sedan)

Name:	lexus2ey.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	3747  

Article in Japanese magazine...

(Again this seems to be a photoshop but car seems to ride lower. Who knows?)

Name:	lexus is500 japan mag.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	3748  

Another pic from same JP article...

The exhaust set-up is interesting...

Name:	506.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	3749  

Reported spec from JP article and view of engine (cover)...

Name:	505.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	3750  

If it is actually all wheel drive... then my brother will soooo hit that!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Three questions:

First, what is power range of this car?

Second, what kind of transmision(s) is/are planed?

Third, ho is going to buy this ''super jap''?

Originally posted by AndyBG
    Third, ho is going to buy this ''super jap''?

Call me insane....but I would....................if I could not afford a Hi-performance german car( RS 4 - M3).

Saludos,

Javier

I tought that is inposible, but aparently, i was wrong.

Still, don't tell that this one is ''working'' for you good as any of German ''uber limousines''. (RS 4, M3, C55)

If Lexus launches an IS500, it doesn't need to be better than an M3 or RS4 to succeed, just cheaper.

That said, I have been extremely surprised at how Lexus gets better and better with every new model. The new IS was a huge step forward in engineering quality and styling. And now the latest LS takes an even bigger step forward with the technology it offers. An 8-speed gearbox may be a bit of a gimmick, but a 4.6 litre V8 that provides 70% better emissions than its nearest competitor is a stunning achievement. With 0-100 kph achieved in 5.5 seconds and fuel economy of around 25-26 mpg, by any objective standard this is an impressive car.

I doubt that Lexus will equal the M3 or RS4 at its first attempt, but it should come very close. There are seven reasons why people will take it very seriously:
    1. The new 5.0 litre V8 offers around 420 bhp and much better fuel economy than the RS4's 4.2 litre V8 FSI.*
    2. The chassis of the new IS is lighter than that of the A4 even before it is put on a weight-loss diet to make the most of added performance
    3. The weight balance of both AWD and RWD IS models is fundamentally better than that of the RS4, because the engine is positioned further back in a RWD chassis.
    4. The electrical systems of the IS are a generation ahead of both BMW and Audi. Whatever you say about Japanese cars, you can't fault Japanese electronics. This gives most Japanese cars better reliability than average. Electronics has traditionally been Audi's achilles heel.
    5. There's a good chance that the IS500 will be offered with AWD, which would pitch it head-to-head with the new RS4.
    6. Lexus knows that the ride and handling of any super saloon have to be extremely well-sorted. So it may not be perfect, but it won't be a let down
    7. I am sure that the price of the IS500 will stun its competitors. In the UK where a decently specced RS4 sells for £52,000, i expect the IS500 to sell for £42,000.

Lexus wants to be the leading luxury car brand and has deep enough pockets to really try and deliver on this promise. Its immediate target isn't BMW, but Audi. (Which is why Aud i is rushing to bring B8 to market.)

The real problem Lexus has is that right now is that it is an anonymous and soulless brand - rather like Audi was before Quattro. When the IS500 (not to mention the LF-A) hit the streets, perhaps this will begin to change.

This can only make Audi and BMW try harder, which has to bec good for us! And may the best man win!

*(I don't know enough about the spec of the next M3 to make any valid comments here.)

I tought that is impossible, but aparently, i was wrong.

Still, don't tell that this one is ''working'' for you good as any of German ''uber limousines''. (RS 4, M3, C55)

Yep, after showing this to my brother he is sooooooo getting this car.

And as for getting this over a C55? In a heart beat. I'd also get it over the next M3. Nope, I'm not smoking crack people, I actually would. The German dealer's level of service is nothing compared to Lexus. Its what they do BEST.

The only German car company I'd choose over the Lexus brand is the one in my garage.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Wow, when in Rome..M air vents and S aluminium mirrors? Please. I think the vorsprung just became bigger, copycats.

Strong entrance of Lexus in this segment will sertranly make germans to get some pace up, but still ''Lexus'', if you asking me, just can't have my ''love'' (read money), over Audi (Mercedes, BMW)

I mean, come on, do you remeber days wehn those cars looked allmost 99% same as Merc's, even today they design cars by ''litle bit of this, litle bit of that'' system.

Resemblances with Germans (Audi. MB, BMW) are allover every one of their cars.

I am litle bit confused, i realy am, a didn't expect from you guys to fall in''love'' with Lexus that easy.

PLEASE, TELL I AM JUST MISS UNDERSTANDING YOU!

PLEASE, TELL I AM JUST MISS UNDERSTANDING YOU!

No, you did not misunderstood us Andy hahaha... you know, I don't think that it's as bad as it sounds. After all, I would bet that everyone here does not consider a Hi-performance Lexus as an option to a Hi-performance german, I dare to say that most of all here would consider the Lexus as a second option, not to say third.

Regarding the desing issue, you're absolutely right, Lexus in the past do look a lot like a collage of other desings.

Saludos,

Javier

As much as we love Audi, not to mention Mercedes-Benz and the boys from Munich, no Japanese car has ever left me stranded in a foreign country. Or had an electrical glitch that caused me to stop dead in the middle of a crowded inter-section. Or had a problem that no authorised dealer was ever been able to remedy. Or a 343 bhp 6-cylinder in-line engine that blew-up after just 6 months. Or interior material that just fell off because they switched to using a cheaper glue.

Sure, this is a list of accumulated complaints compiled over many years of faithful Audi, BMW and MB ownership. And, of course, you expect things to go wrong in all cars. They are complex beasts. But you quite reasonably expect less things to go wrong in more expensive cars. Although this isn't always the case, sometimes even the best are afflicted with fundamental flaws.

None of this is to say that German premium marques are unreliable or getting worse. On the contrary, hitherto they have always been the most reliable cars.

But when a new brand comes along and in double quick time delivers a standard of build quality that leaves your jaw hanging open, in cars with engines that are as smooth as jet turbines, with handling dynamics that get better and better with every new model, in designs that exhibit a real integrity of engineering and with a visible passion for doing things better, well then you are forced to take notice.

For the last 10 years, Audi, BMW and Mercedes have all been copying each other. So when Lexus comes along and starts re-writing the rules by providing frsh and orginal solutions to age-old problems, this is a good thing. A very good thing.

No one buys any product just because it happens to be made by Germans, Brits or Japanese. You buy something because you respect the benefits it delivers. When you get used to something that is very good, like Audi, it earns your loyalty. But when something palpably better comes along, only a fool or a luddite ignores it.

For all these reasons, the German trio will need to up their game. Mercedes-Benz quality standards at last seem to be returning. Audi's forthcoming B8 platform looks as if it will dramatically re-invent the Ingolstadt brand. As for BMW, maybe one day they will wake up and realise that everyone hates how their cars look.

And while Germany gets its house in order, it is comforting to know that there's an alternative.

:asian:

Name:	speed_is500.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	3753  

Originally posted by tailpipe

No one buys any product just because it happens to be made by Germans, Brits or Japanese. You buy something because you respect the benefits it delivers. When you get used to something that is very good, like Audi, it earns your loyalty. But when something palpably better comes along, only a fool or a luddite ignores it.

For all these reasons, the German trio will need to up their game.

No Andy, no missunderstanding, I really would take that over a C55 or M3 (especially the C55 ). I love Audi, but as Tailpipe says, only a fool would be loyal simply because of a nameplate. You love it for it being the better car. If the IS is better than the C55 than why wouldn't you go for the IS?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

I forgot to add that the pictures in the Japanese car mag story are mostly badly retouched pictures of mules. The real thing will look like the drawing in my post above. It won't copy BMW.