Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R8 launch engine

R8 launch engine

i know the consensus is the RS4 engine with 425 hp. but why not the engine from the S6 and S8? it may weigh a bit more and only make 25 hp more but it produces much more torque. why not put it in the base R8 and then add the expected RS6 version of that engine as an option when the gallardo gets its next update? i know this idea flies in the face of the R8's historical inspiration- V8 powered historic sportscar from audi but why not? any takers?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Was in the dealers today and while seeing about the TT, got the talking about the R8. I was told it will get an uprated version of the 4.2L from the RS4, 430-435bhp and the V10 will have no more than 480bhp at the start. Reason being to give a performance gap between it and the Lambo. Until it get the power hike recently talked of.

They said it might sound like little gain between the V8 and the V10, but the extra torque with the V10 will make all the difference and justify the extra cost.
    Search and you will find the truth.

new rumors overheard (can't say where)

there is an RS4+ in the works that will produce close to 450 hp.

rumor is that the engine will be ready in time for production of the R8 in 4th quarter 2006. this would be the debut engine in that car. apparently the torque will remain about the same 320 lb/ft----but the intake and exhaust difference between the RS4 and the R8 will allow the latter to make a bit more- perhaps 470 hp out of the same V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i est 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 1/4 in 12.5 if that is the case.

Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Re: new rumors overheard (can't say where)

Originally posted by RXBG
    there is an RS4+ in the works that will produce close to 450 hp.

rumor is that the engine will be ready in time for production of the R8 in 4th quarter 2006. this would be the debut engine in that car. apparently the torque will remain about the same 320 lb/ft----but the intake and exhaust difference between the RS4 and the R8 will allow the latter to make a bit more- perhaps 470 hp out of the same V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i est 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 1/4 in 12.5 if that is the case.

This will make a lot of unhappy RS4 customers who's current cars aren't making the 414bhp quoted. Lets hope Audi fix this first.

450-470hp wouldn't leave much of a gap between it and the Gallardo. What about the 5.2v10 where will it sit in this picture?

V10 will likely be H.O. or TT

but not ready yet. it'll be ready at same time RS6 is ready for production (in a year or so). by that time the gallardo successor will be almost ready.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG, does the rumor suggest that the RS4+ will come to North America? Drool....

Is it known yet if the R8 will be running the 40/60 split of the rest of the performance quattros, or will it be the same as the Gallardo?

leadfoot- it will carry the 40:60 in order to make it a true audi and a bit less extreme and more all-around than the gallardo.

as far as i know the RS4+ WILL NOT come to the states b/c of emissions and too rough of a ride given the more aggressive suspension settings etc.....
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

leadfoot- it will carry the 40:60 in order to make it a true audi and a bit less extreme and more all-around than the gallardo.

as far as i know the RS4+ WILL NOT come to the states b/c of emissions and too rough of a ride given the more aggressive suspension settings etc.....
    If it not going to the states because of the stiff suspension, it sure shouldn't come there. You roads are far better than the ones in my neck of the woods.

it's not about the roads. IT'S ABOUT THE F*****G GHEY DRIVERS that can't handle the stiff suspension here in the usa.

usa- the land of fatasses and double portions at restaurants. because it is about quantity not quality. the same goes for the kinds of cars we like.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

it's not about the roads. IT'S ABOUT THE F*****G GHEY DRIVERS that can't handle the stiff suspension here in the usa.

usa- the land of fatasses and double portions at restaurants. because it is about quantity not quality. the same goes for the kinds of cars we like.
    Quantity not quality. Quantity = BMW M3 not quality = AUDI RS4.

Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

So...everyone is convinced that the new R8 will have a jumped-up version of the RS4's engine...and the new RS6 will have a NA V10 engine. I don't mean to go off-topic on this but...what will happen to the Biturbo FSI V10 engine presented on the Nuvolari conpect car. Everyone seem to have forgotten about it and if my memory doesn't fail me it had a 600hp output. I guess my question is...why develop the Biturbo FSI technology if you're not going to use it...for that matter I strongly believe that the new R8 should have a similar engine to this one.

Saludos muchachos,

Javier

Ps. when are we going to get the R8 flag emoticon?

So you are saying US drivers can't handle stiff suspension. I heard it's not the only thing yous lot can't handle that is stiff.

Dear Friends,

the R8 will be introduced with a 4.2 FSI V8 developing 420HP, manual Transmission and 40:60 AWD.

You can expect a more powerfull Engine within 2007, with FSI an Bi-Turbo Layout. A third none Petrol Version (!) is possible. DSG within 2007.

Qisha,

By the looks of it, you are saying there will be not V10. A bit surprised that Audi would miss an opportunity to take on BMW, Mercedes and Porsche and show off it engineering abilities to produce the best hi-powered N/A engine in the world. Or maybe they are waiting until they win Le Mans with the diesel and then put a V12 diesel in the R8 and blow off the rest of the supercar elite.

I take it the FSI bi-turbo is the RS4 turboed, that will be an animal 500hp + 500ft/lbs here we come.

I just wished I had enough money to buy one. I sent the wife out on the street last night to see how much she would get, she came home with £9.50. Looks like it will take a while.

PS.
    I asked her who give you 50p, she replied all of them.:eye: :bigeyes:

Originally posted by Qisha
    A third none Petrol Version (!) is possible.
    Are you suggesting that it could even be a non Petrol, non Diesel version?! :bigeyes:

Originally posted by Eckoman
    Are you suggesting that it could even be a non Petrol, non Diesel version?! :bigeyes:
    No, he means a diesel version. Audi are known to be working on a V12 or V10 twin turbo road version of the R10 race car. I wouldn't doubt this being every bit as quick as the petrol versions. The only delay might be getting a gearbox to work with the amount of torque the engine will produce.